Since we are discussing moving!

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

starbellykeith
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 8:06 am

Ooops, forgot the obligatory links to pictures.  has some shots from the Bakersfield area during rainy season and some at are the area in August. If you don’t know which are the area then ignore the ones with water or have “beach” in the location and you are probably looking at within 1 hour drive of Bakersfield.

Trust me…go somewhere else,
    KM

Kit
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 12:32 pm

If you end up in Texas in the Dallas/Fort Worth area, do let me know. I train at Travis Lutter BJJ, and there’s a boxing gym right next door. There’s lots of different BJJ and other training places here, and Austin and Houston have a lot of options also. In any one of these 3 Texas metroplexes, you are sure to find a place you like because there are so many different choices.

scarce
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jun 30, 2004 4:01 pm
    Fightergirls elite poster

…from chicago to miami….meet me at miami…….i will buy dinner…

ladygrappler
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Jul 02, 2004 10:34 am

Any one for the Malibu area of Cali? Or any where in arizona???

starbellykeith
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:40 pm

I think knockout2 lives around Tucson so try PMing her. I’ve only stopped off there on the way elsewhere as I don’t enjoy 120 degree temperatures in the summer.

KM

starbellykeith
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jul 03, 2004 11:41 pm

I keep doing these two reply replies. Sorry.

Rage In The Cage runs in AZ, so try finding some of those fighters and asking them.

KM

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:04 am

you mean “him”
    Thanks 🙂

ladygrappler
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:33 am

Knockout, any information on the gyms around there?? I know i have PMd you but i have to start accepting and stuff, any info would help

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:40 am

Arizona….
    don’t go to Tucson if you want to train.
    Sadly, there aren’t many training options here.

Phoenix has a few gyms…
    I don’t remember their names, but a good amount of fighters train and compete in Phoenix. Evidently, there is a lot of drama in the Arizona fighting community. I am not a part of it (haven’t even been to a Rage in the Cage yet) but I’ve read about the drama. Sunshine Fettheker (sp?) trains out of Phoenix (or around there) at a Muay Thai gym.

I lived in Dallas for 7 months. I trained at Guy Mezger’s Lion’s Den. That gym has some potential but doesn’t live up to it. I mean at the time, the classes were taught by Guy Mezger, Pete Williams and Tra Telligman,…and occassionally some people from the Machado BJJ school…like Kathy Brothers. The gym is a bit small. It has been 4 years since I’ve been there, so maybe the gym has changed a lot. Who knows, he may have even relocated since then.

Occassionally guys from Machado BJJ, Lutter BJJ or Austin Texas would show up to train at the lions den. At the time, there were some gyms growing in Austin. Some of the Machado guys were really nice and they liked to share technique a lot. One purple belt from Machados was one of the coolest people that I trained with. He was showing me all kinds of triangle tips.

That said, I did not enjoy living in Dallas. 🙁 That is why I was only there for 7 months. In general, the people that I met there were not very friendly. I know that is a terrible generalization, but it was my experience. The city is diverse, however. A big melting pot of ethnicities. I was pleasantly surprised at that.

Um….hope that helps 🙂

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:51 am

Well…I can’t say that Tucson is totally worthless.

There are a couple Brazillian Jiu Jitsu schools. One of them is VEEERRRY small…one small room, but it’s open 7 days a week for $100/mo.

There is a gym called the Ultima which I have never visited. It sounded good on paper….no-gi grappling, Muay Thai, MMA training. But I just haven’t found the time to visit there. The ultima was originally a traditional martial arts school…kempo or something, which added on the MMA/BJJ/MT training. I’m skeptical about places like that. Maybe I shouldn’t be. The prices there were $80 for one class (Muay Thai, MMA or ground) or $120 for everything. I could be a little off on the pricing because it was over a year ago that I called them.

I did train with a guy named Daton larsh who is a purple belt BJJ and he teaches Muay Thai and no-gi grappling classes pretty cheap ($40/mo). But his class is only available 4 nights per week. He still teaches.

There is Don Frye’s original training gym. I hear that is a testosterone factory where people get scuffed up a lot. I have heard stories of guys showing up there wanting to prove themselves by challenging one of the fighters. Then they end up in the hospital with serious injuries. That turned me off from going there. I can’t stand testosterone junkies.

Ok….if I think of anything else, I’ll let you know. If you want contact info for these places, I can provide that too.

starbellykeith
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 7:14 pm

Thanks KnockOut2…I knew you could be counted on to help out. Sorry about the gender 😳 . Guess I was confusing you with one of those “fighterchick” or “bjjbabe” kinda screen names.

My bad/you rock,
    KM

ladygrappler
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 8:20 pm

Thank you soo much for all of the info you guys are giving me! If anything its making my choice harder cuz there are so many places to train!…please keep the info coming! 😀

Knockout, just curious you said there was alot of Polotics and drama within the fighting community. WOuld you mind expanding on that by what you mean? Thanks agian! You guys truly always pull through! 8)

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:07 pm

Well, I’m not sure how much detail I can offer on that. Mostly, that is the idea that I get from what people post on MMA forums.

Many times, people have referred to the “politics” of the fight scene in Arizona (and by Arizona, they pretty much mean Phoenix). Maybe it is overblown or maybe it is only a problem with a handful of people. (that is likely the case). I get the impression that there is a lot of arguing between fighters and different gyms. This person has a problem with that person. That person has a problem with someone else. So the result being that they won’t work together very much to help raise MMA in AZ.

Perhaps this happens in any city where there are a handful of successful gyms. I’m sure Rage in the Cage in Phoenix probably creates a local “prize” for local fighters to compete over…in just getting fights. Maybe that is the source of the problem?

You may want to ask around. I have read quite a few posts on  from people who train in Phoenix.. Certainly don’t base it off my observarions because those aren’t based upon direct experiences.

Ko2

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 10:13 pm

btw, even if the gym-fighting of Phoenix is true, I would still pick Phoenix over Dallas 😉 No offense to anyone here that lives in Dallas.

Also, I have some friends who are from Austin that now live in Tucson. Everyone I know that has been to Austin has said that it is an enjoyable city. Quite the opposite of what I hear about Dallas (and what I’ve experienced directly). So if there are any good gyms in Austin, you may want to consider that city. I think it is a college town, much like Tucson.

One thing about Austin is that the bars are open later than Tucson. Tucson bars close at 1:00am. (Actually…that might’ve changed to 2:00 because of a recent law just passed. I think that is an Arizona law, not just Tucson.)

FightingFury44
    Post subject: about AustinPostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:06 pm

Hey whats going on all,

In response to Austin. Yes it is a College town home to the TEXAS LONG HORNS. The City is easy to get around in all the time. Except for 5pm rush hour home and in the morning on the way to work. You know the Usual. The party street in Austin is called 6th Street that is were all the bars and pool halls are. The street is always busy with people on the weekend for partys at the bars all up and down 6th street. Plenty of martialarts Dojo halls there as well. Easy comute around the city and straight shot to Dallas or San Antonio or to Corpus Christy Beach like South Padre Island. Not a Bunch of AssHoles like in Dallas where they cut you off just to do it or give them 2 inches and they take it.

dl_angel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:36 pm

Austin’s also fairly cheap to live in (in my opinion- my choice schools were between CA and Austin, and then I lived in Boston and New Hampshire)… and the city has a lot of the benefits of a city (ie. 6th Street/4th Street, lots of people, diverse population), but not as much of the drawbacks… for example, a lot of it is still wooded. You don’t have to drive far to the nearest park. Lakes, parks, and all sorts of crazy things to do.

Also you’ll find Austin is probably one of the more liberal areas in Texas, from what I’ve heard. Like I said- diverse crowd, a little more acceptance, etc. I still think it’s a crazy difference from the north though.

Oh- it is difficult to find a job here, depending on when you look and what you’re qualified to do. But the school does have work study opportunities and such if you qualify for them.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?