Rummors or Facts

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

chad
    Post subject: Rummors or FactsPostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 8:14 pm
    Fightergirls elite poster

I hear that both Jennifer Howe and Debi Purcell will be retiring in 2005…. I would like to see these 2 fight for the world championship before this happens…

Chad

Report this post Post details Delete post
    Top E-mail Edit post Reply with quote

Executioner
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 6:22 am

Retiring???

That’s really a pity!
    Why?? they just started to in a early MMA career!
    Two great fighters that we like to see more, perhaps in Europe.

Debbie or Chad, can you explain more?

Report this post Post details Warn user Delete post

dl_angel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:08 am

I think he has asking whether it was a rumor or a fact… so don’t start planning the retirement party yet.

Executioner
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 7:36 am

dl_angel wrote:
    I think he has asking whether it was a rumor or a fact… so don’t start planning the retirement party yet.

Ow ok, but I’m not planning anything! hahaha

dl_angel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:12 am

😀

starbellykeith
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2004 7:45 pm

Chad-hmmmm, wonder where that rumor came from. 😆

Executioner-both have had a very hard time finding opponents in the US. Number of opponents of Howe’s that have backed out I believe surpasses the numbner of opponents that actually fought her. It’s frustrating tracking the women here in the US…they win nobody wants to fight.

I’ve been dying to see such a matchup for years and the few people reading my reply probably know I’ve been pushing it to anyone who would listen for years. That being said we’ve been over this since Debi’s KOTC fight and it’s probably not going to happen.

I can’t see Smackgirl doing such a fight since neither are Japanese. I don’t believe those “women in the UFC” rumors. Same with Pride. KOTC and Monte don’t get along so well so I think that is out and besides it was Chris C who was most receptive at KOTC and he’s gone now. TKO booked Howe because Horn was on the card and they come in a package deal while I can’t see them affording both Jennifer and Debi…they are blowing too much on the guys to compete at the just-under-UFC level. WEC has close ties to Phyllis Lee so Monte’s fighters are going to have an almost impossible time getting their feet in that door. Besides my guess is WEC would probably want Andrade or Soderquist before non-California fighters like Jennifer. Who is left? IFC or Shooto? Possible but doubt either would have the funds. IFC is most likely but again they’d probably go with Soderquist or Andrade first, maybe Buckner since she is their champion at 135.

The only ones I haven’t felt out in the past two years of covering the women is MFC. Horn just signed to them and they had a fighter from Ruas Vale Tudo from Brazil on the card so they get along with both camps. They have been blowing money on people like Joakim Hansen ( to my great delight in case you haven’t noticed!!!) . Hell, it’s a Miguel show afterall. Downside is there is no evidence to tell one way or the other how receptive they would be to a women’s match. Let’s face it…how many more tickets would this fight sell when the cards already have five UFC vets, a former Shooto champ, and international fighters out the ass? The money people are Russian concert promoters linked to M-1 and M-1 don’t book women. Could end up like AFC in FL where they tried it on a budget level and probably won’t again. My suggestion for both fihgters is focus on them, settle on IFC or HOOKnSHOOT, or give it up.

KM

Executioner
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 12:57 am

Ok, this is true what you’ve said.
    Well what is the real deal?
    The female opponents not daring to fight Debi or Jennifer anymore, cause they are on a winningstreak?
    Maybe in Europe,England,Holland there are some fighters to compete with!

And don’t underestimate Smackgirl, that have some great fighters.
    But I guess it is also a “money issue”.
    At the “normal” events the payments are not that well.

chad
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 3:42 pm

Keith hit the nail on the head there….

The female opponents not daring to fight Debi or Jennifer anymore, cause they are on a winningstreak? Yes there are some!!! (no names mentioned).

Maybe in Europe,England,Holland there are some fighters to compete with! It would be great to have that happen but I really don’t think right now anyone want to pay that kind of $$$ for the women..

Chad

greatlaughter
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2004 11:05 pm
    Pro Fighter

chad wrote:

The female opponents not daring to fight Debi or Jennifer anymore, cause they are on a winningstreak? Yes there are some!!! (no names mentioned).

Chad

Really. Let’s mention names, because I don’t know. I have heard that and I feel badly for them b/c of fights being cancelled but I’d really like to know who’s avoiding who.
    For anyone to fight, it’s hard, expecially as much as Howe does it. But imagine how many fights they (Debit & Jen) have trained for that have fallen through. They put there lives on hold for the sport and women (and men too) don’t get compensated in a manner that their lifestyles can afford to just train and compete. If you work full time, have a family or relationship and train full time. Well, somethings got to give eventually- and for the sake of thier longevity and families I should think it may be time for them to take a breather in a year or two. Hell, I’d like to fight them, but if not, they’ve paved the way for other girls and are not ‘out’ just because they aren’t competing.
    There are such long gaps between fights for women, a girl can only have a few fights but train her ass off for years – then retire. And people are like….what?…

I dunno, who does? I wish them both the best iin whatever they choose to do. I hope they issue a press release and make a formal announcement when the time comes though.

starbellykeith
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 2:13 pm

Names? Let’s start with Andrade for IFC Sturgis and the weight class excuse since you Heater can ask Cesar about that one. I did. Who was the woman Howe was supposed to fight in TKO? And who was her original opponent for this HOOKnSHOOT show before Roxanne (still call her “tree hugger” from that other forum)?

KM

greatlaughter
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 4:30 pm
    Pro Fighter

Okay. I’ll give you Andrade – even though she’s my teammate – it sucked what happened. And I know you’re not talking about me backing out of the Howe thing b/c I’ve still got a hard lump of staph under my skin. 😈
    But, I think you are talking about the Japanese woman. Yeah?

I guess I just don’t understand why people would back out of a tough fight. 😕

chad
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:08 pm

Here are 2 for the list initials only and you can figure it out.. KK and EM

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:32 pm
    Pro Fighter

Treehugger! Keith- I would keep that name except it’s incredibly corney. Now I just make my nick names “Rox” and the number is how old I am at the time I make the nick. (I still hug trees in private, though 😛 ) and hurrah for fighting challenging opponents!

starbellykeith
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 8:48 pm

Heather-yes, I was referring to the Japanese woman whose name I forget off hand. Your name is easy to remember and if I meant you I would have named you. Nothing but respect for all you are doing and have gone through.

Rox21-okay, no more mention of “Treehugger”. Look at the bright side; reminds you how long I’ve kept an eye out. http://malarky.udel.edu/~keith/2002/nag … 302109.jpg will give everyone else an idea. I could swear I had shots of you at another grappling tournie around 2001 or 2002 but can’t seem to find them right now. Point is “Rox21” it is.

Hey, that’s it…Heather/Roxanne in the battle of the right attitudes. Okay, *that* I would travel for.

Chad-yes, I caught that. Montoya at least was funny about it. From a April 2003 update my all-time favorite Erica reply if not all-time any fighter reply:

“KM: I was wondering what your perspective was as far as dropping out of 125 as those women that are known for having the strength and cutting the weight are cutting down to 125. You know there are going to be fans out there that are going to speculate ‘she is running from the 135s’…
    “EM: I have no shame. I’m so running from Debi. (Both laugh) I have no shame; I’ll say it to her face. I’m running. (More laughing). It’s not just that, before that we talked about going down to 115 and then we heard her dropping down to 125 and I guess that’s great for them but I don’t see the point since all the girls that were at 135 are dropping to 125 so they are going to have the same competition anyway so it’s like ‘why?’”
    (From ADCC News 4/12/03)

Note that is a year and a half old and I don’t know how much her attitude has changed in that time. Now I miss Erica and her responses to some of those questions. Ahhh, the good old days. Back then we had to walk up hill both ways backwards…

KM

rebekah
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Nov 04, 2004 12:30 pm

I mentioned this in another post but anyone know why we don’t see a match up with Laura D’August and either Jen or Debbie? Aren’t they all in the same weight class?

starbellykeith
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2004 11:28 am

Right before Laura just fought Amanda I tried to reach her. I failed and she didn’t return calls. That being said my current perception is she is a regional fighter. Damn good one but doesn’t fight outside NY/NJ area. No idea if this will change. Given the lack of Tiger Schulman fighters moving to the National stage I doubt they give a damn.

KM

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?