? about Smackgirl in Japan

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

SunshineF
    Post subject: ? about Smackgirl in JapanPostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 2:09 pm

Hi Everyone,

I was offered an MMA in Smackgirl and was thinking about giving it a try until they told me what the purse would be. $700 to show plus $300 to win. I thought they were crazy, but maybe I’ve gotten used to boxing purses. Does anyone know how much this organization pays?

SunshineF
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 5:41 pm

Yuuki Kondou was who they mentioned as my opponnent. Anybody know anything about her?

Jeff
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Sep 25, 2004 6:36 pm

She’s also known as Yuki Kubota, one of the more experienced female MMA fighters of her size. She has had several other fights not listed in that page, by the way.

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:02 am
    Pro Fighter

Whoa you got asked? For a smack girl when? the 700 might cover most of the plane ticket if you’re from the U.S….. I’m not sure what calibur the event is, but I fought once last year, got paid 200 dollars, and the second time $100 but I was living in Japan at the time….and I think they were having a rough few months…so that’s actually quite a lot for them. I hope it’s okay to post those figures. :X

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:04 am
    Pro Fighter

plus it was my first MMA match, so I didn’t have a professional reputation…

SunshineF
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:39 am

The $700 is just the purse. They said they would cover airfare and hotel for my trainer and I. I was under the impression that these events drew a big crowd in Japan as well as DVD sales, etc. Why do they pay so little? Boxers get paid more than $700 for their pro debut and whether or not airfare/expenses are covered by the promoter isn’t even a question.

Thanks for the responses!

Executioner
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:59 am

I’ve seen Yuki Kubota on some Smackgirl events on video, she is pretty difficult on the ground, one of the best, but on the standing up fight you can knock her out.

SunshineF
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 11:43 am

Yeah, Executioner, that’s what I figured. But then I’d be in trouble with anyone experienced in grappling. I’ve trained some, but not much in sub wrestling. They said there was a 30 second time limit on the ground so that helps.

Executioner
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 1:00 pm

SunshineF wrote:
    Yeah, Executioner, that’s what I figured. But then I’d be in trouble with anyone experienced in grappling. I’ve trained some, but not much in sub wrestling. They said there was a 30 second time limit on the ground so that helps.

I hope you face her knock her out! 8)
    Yes you have 30 sec. groundrule.
    She wins to easy those groundgames

I’ve seen you in the Arena against Lucia.
    Great match, you didn’t give up, but Lucia is exceptional.

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 2:18 pm
    Pro Fighter

Sunshine:
    Wow. o_o I had no idea that much money went into boxing and stuff…(I guess I need to do more research)

Smack girl is popular, but last time I went, it didn’t draw thousands of people. They do it once every two or three months…but I guess that’s evidence that they’re doing okay. Hmmm I thought I knew all about SmacK Girl but I guess I should shut up. 😛

Having expenses covered would be nice. 🙁 I guess I’m so used to going to grappling tournaments and paying for gas, entrance fee, and hotel, that when someone wants to give me money to fight, it’s like “WOW COOL!” So yeah…that’s great they’re paying for airfare. Which fight date was it? not the 8 woman tournament in november, or another one?

SunshineF
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:06 pm

This one is on Nov 4 in Tokyo…not the tournament. I can’t imagine having to pay to fight as a pro. I guess I was just way off as far as purses for these events.

I was asked to come down to 139 to fight Yuuki, but on Sherdog she’s listed at 150. They eventually said 147 would be OK for me. Maybe she moved down in weight and is fighting at 139?

Ex..yes Lucia is exceptional and hits lit a frieght train!

SunshineF
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 4:11 pm

Rox21…Is it a pretty small, local type of event? Approx how big of a crowd attends?

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 2:54 pm
    Pro Fighter

I’m not sure anymore. they’re definately legit. I think it’s been growing, or maybe the event I fought at was different than others, since they have different themes all the time. I just emailed my sensei in Japan asking him and he hasn’t responded yet. I’ll let you know. 😛 I thought I was an expert on smack girl, but apparently not.

Seth
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 3:37 pm

I think Erin was slated to fight Yuki but the negotiations fell through and someone else took her place. Yuki is a good ground fighter, a judo blackbelt, and has arm-barred some very good grapplers. It might be a good experience barring injury though nowhere near the lucrative purse of boxing.

SunshineF
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:07 pm

Thanks Rox21!

Erin is like 168, I think. Yuuki must have gone down in weight since they asked me to make 139 at first.

Erin T
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 1:54 pm
    Pro Fighter

Sunshine…it could be good experience – you can easily beat them standup – but it would be a long recovery if you had an arm broken or something. For that money….just make sure you really think about it.

I have a feeling I might be fighting Yuki sometime soon. I WAS supposed to fight her last year – but they tried to royally f*ck me on the already signed contract. I was not gonna let them try to get the once over on me.
    She would have had to come UP in weight – cause I was not gonna come down. In fact, it’s pretty common for the “smaller” girls to give up a bit of weight to the “bigger” girls. Usually, Anything from 150 and above.

I weigh 173 right now….but will have to make 168 for my fight in a few weeks. Sunshine – I also returned that email you sent me a while back – but I never heard back from you ❓

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 2:14 pm
    Pro Fighter

Must be hard to find fighters your weight. Good training, Erin! No need for luck. 🙂

SunshineF
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:21 pm

Erin, my e-mail is screwed up. Some of mine never go out and I haven’t been getting everything sent to me. I’ve been lazy about getting it fixed. You’re right and I don’t think I’ll take a fight over there unless there is nothing in sight for boxing. I’m supposedly fighting Hollewyne on Nov 20 so I don’t want to risk injury fighting in Japan on Nov 4. I heard a beer costs $20 in Japan, so I’d be broke before I got home fighting for $700.

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:50 am
    Pro Fighter

lol beer. In some places I’ve been to when friends ordered beer, it’s been five bucks a mug.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?