Advice on conditioning.

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

Samurai girl
    Post subject: Advice on conditioning. PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:12 pm

Hi everyone,
    I am new to MMA and have only recently started training. I would really appreciate some advice on conditioning or some workout suggestions. I have started training before on and off but this time I have made the resolve to stick at it no matter what. So any links where I can find motivational articles or video footage, would be welcome.
    Thanks!

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 3:37 pm
    Instructor

Personally, I use the desire for better health, a better body, etc. as my motivation. If I still can’t make myself get started after thinking about what I want my abs to look like or how I wish I could run a four minute mile than I just don’t want it bad enough.

On those days when I don’t feel like going to the gym I do Pilates “mat exercises”. You can do them in your living room floor without any kind of props. Pilates Workbook by Michael King and The Pilates Body by Brooke Siler are very good books on the subject with a large variety of exercises.

Samurai girl
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 5:12 am

Hi Rikki,

Thanks for the reply. It’s true! The effect that it will have on my health and body should be more than enough motivation. Just wondering if you could share any workouts with me.

Thanks

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 8:52 am
    Instructor

What kind of workouts are you looking for (weight training, cardio, etc.)?

Samurai girl
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 12:23 pm

Ideally I would like to work on my conditioning, something to improve my cardio and also some body weight excercises.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Aug 03, 2005 4:07 pm
    Instructor

I think it’s best to get your conditioning from the activity you are wanting to do. For example, I do MMA so the best way for me to work on my cardio is by doing things related to MMA. I’ve seen triathletes come in to class and not be able to make it through the entire 2 hours. You know without a doubt that they are in shape….it’s just not the same.
    I jump rope, do pad drills, and grapple long rounds to get my cardio up to where I want it. But if my aim was to be able to run five miles without stopping I’d want to change my routine.

As far as body weight exercises go there are lots of choices. Some good ones are push ups, mountain climbers, burpees, sit ups (not crunches), dips, and chin ups. If you don’t know what some of these are you can look them up on Google for descriptions.

I know it’s not much but I hope it helps.

greatlaughter
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:57 pm
    Pro Fighter

I agree with Rikki. You can be a hell of a swimmer and a terrible runner – conditioning wise. Think of what you want to acheive and train there.

Also, running is great. Running isn’t about going faster or farther, to me. It’s about mental conditioning, keeping your feet moving even when you hate it. It’s about not quitting. I used to hate running and now I am happy whenever I complete my runs. It’s also good to help develop and control your breathing. Don’t worry about it when you first start out. But always wear a mouth piece and then later, try to focus on ‘in through the nose, out through the mouth’ and try to keep your mouth closed. It also develops legs muscles, reaction time, etc. 3 days a week, 3 miles a pop will be fine to start. Don’t know where you are at. If you cannot complete the distance running, walk. But keep your feet moving. I guarantee this won’t be happing for very long. Give it a couple weeks and you’ll be making progress, checkin’ out your obliques in the mirror, etc.

There is a reason why almost all of us run. It’s conditioning. Swimming is also great. But again, if all I did before a fight was run I’d be in trouble. So then, I’d run 5 miles and train 2 – 3 hours 5/6 days a week. Wish it could be more.

The thing with this sport is that it’s NEVER easy. It’s fighting. If you’re not challenged, you’re not fighting. you know?

If you have a hard time sticking to a routine, reward yourself. For me, if I’m fighting, the fight is my reward – getting there. It’s great! But now, I’m not training as much for multiple reasons so in order to not get out of shape, I give myself little things when I stick to my running and diet, training right now is a bonus for me. So, today, since I was ‘good’ all week, I went to the cafe, got a lovely blueberry scone and coffee and studied my private pilot book, on my ass for an hour and I was in heaven!!! Food shouldn’t always be your reward but I love those damn things. 🙄

Good luck.

P.S. My buddy Nick Diaz is a fighter and just won a tri-athelon. ALL THE BOY DOES IS TRAIN, SWIM AND RUN. You simply cannot tire him out. He’s a fitness freak, a freak. It’s disturbing and enviable.

dl_angel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 11:05 am

I asked this a long time ago in reference to weight training and someone mentioned using resistance bands instead of doing weights… I’ve been using them recently as my instructor is trying to start a class with them and they work REALLY well. You can get them through most of the martial arts supply companies and Ultimate Body Shaping Course has a video about how to use them (it’s sort of cheesy but it tells you how to do the workout). I feel like they don’t put as much stress on my knees (it might be all in my mind) but I’ve gained quite a bit of muscle using them AND I don’t have to compete with the guys at a gym for the weights- which I hate… AND if I go on vacation I can take them with me. The bands go yellow-green-red-blue-purple-black… I use red for mostly everything. The idea is that you move up in color if you are able to do the workout with that color band.

I also just think it’s a little more interesting than weights, but the video is so cheesy it’s funny and I can mute tv and listen to my music cuz I do it in my living room.

Samurai girl
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 7:15 am

I was looking at some resistance bands on the net, I was curious how to work the legs with them then I came across this site.
    http://www.fightergirls.com

Is it much different to what you do?

dl_angel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:21 am

A lot of the exercises look similar, but all of them are done with your body- not hooking them to the wall or anything (can’t tell from the picture what the band is hooked to?)

Squats are the same…. also I like the lunges with the resistance bands…. and the arm workout is fabulous (not to mention painful).

also, you do 16 of each exercise slow, then right after you do 16 fast,
    then rest 5-10 sec, then 16 more slow… take 1 min rests between body parts.. and the actual class alternates days… so abs/lower body one day, next day kickboxing, next day upper body, etc….

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?