advice wanted for new MMA fighters-with boxing and judo exp

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

danc
    Post subject: advice wanted for new MMA fighters-with boxing and judo exp Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:13 pm

what advice would you have for an experienced female boxer, who is also
    a very accomplished judo player-(national champion)who wants to try MMA?

what does she need to work on to be competitive?

I am assuming her chokes arm bars and hand striking (boxing)
    techniques are at least adequate. where would she be most vulnerable? A
    re many MMA fights won or lost with knees and kicks? My impresion is most are won or lost ofn tappouts ror tkos from taking too many unanswered punches. Is that correct?

thanks

dan

ornery
    Post subject: advice for female boxerPostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:22 pm

Most MMA people use Muay Tai boxing on their feet. Muay Tai boxers are typically vulnerable down the center line. A good boxer would work on attacking the center line to jam up the mma fighters strikes. Just watch out for knees in close.

Most MMA people use BJJ on the ground. BJJ has some distinct advantages over Judo on the ground but not on the throws. A good Judo fighter would work on making her throws as quick and powerful as possible. But she will need to learn BJJ submissions. And she will need to get comfortable on her back. I know a few Judo fighters who are very uncomfortable with their backs to the floor. If your opponent takes you down, you are going to have to fight from the bottom so you have to get comfortable with that situation.

working the center line is something you can do at any boxing gym. working submissions and fighting from the guard is something you will have to do at a good bjj school.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:08 am
    Instructor

The best possible thing she could do, in my opinion, is to find a MMA gym to start training at. She’s already got a great base to work from but if she wants to fight MMA she needs to learn how to put it all together.
    Along with what Ornery said, she would also need to work on defending against wrestling takedowns.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?