This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

fight4you
    Post subject: AikidoPostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 5:20 pm

How many have you trained in Aikido, or its’ earlier form, DaitoRyu Aikijujitsu and how do you think it has affected your training, approach or skills?

Report this post Post details Warn user Delete post
    Top E-mail Edit post Reply with quote

tapoutuk
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:53 am

I trained in AIKIDO for a year and a half before switching to a kickboxing/MMA gym.

Realistically the Aikido didn’t provide me with much. Some of the wrist locks can be snuck into ground fighting but really the style of training does not make it a realistic martial art when it comes to fighting.

A lot of the moves work in a static environment but when it comes to having to improvise a lot of the moves fall to pieces.

When I switched gyms I found the training less rigid and the open training style suited me 100 times better. Also when I changed gyms I had my first experience of contact training and found that I enjoyed it and that I could handle the pressure. Aikido never ‘pressure tested’ the moves so I never felt like I could really fight.

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 10:54 am

well aikido normally teaches in a highly structured setting because it is dangerous as hell to use full power with someone less trained

tapoutuk
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 1:36 pm

I trained with a 5th Dan who has a direct training line to Morehei Osheba (sp)via Master Nocquet (8th Dan) and whilst he took one of our sessions he had 2nd and 3rd dans attack him and he did all the fancy throws and locks. He then turned round and said that in a real fighting situation these would not work as there are too many variables and the chances of someone attacking you in the way these moves are trained was virtually nil.

This is when I hit the road and started MMA. Reality fighting, tested in real full contact situations.

Aikido and other trad martial arts all say it is too dangerous to train full contact because of serious injury. Kickboxers train their moves full contact in sparring in preparation for fights and walk away, as do jiu jitsu with chokes and armlocks, which are similar to Aikido but trained to work in real life. If you train with no contact how do you know that you will be able to really take a punch and come back to defend yourself.

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:29 pm

Well I don’t know who this 5th Dan was but if he believed what he said, he wasted years in his pursuit. See if people like Saotome Sensei (Washington DC) or Ikeda Sensei(Boulder Colorado), both students of Aikido founder Morihei Ueshiba (correct spelling) feel that Aikido has no direct practical relevance. When you see Aikido performed correctly, not much else matters.

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:45 am

A friend of mine told me of a story of a couple of judokas from his judo club who went to the local aikido club to check it out. They went there with an open mind, wanting to learn more about balance to incorporate into their judo game. When they got there, the aikido instructor boasted about his style and said something to the effect of “after all of these years training aikido, I don’t know if I can even be taken down to the ground because of my balance”. Well, this struck the judokas as arrogant, so after the class, the aikido guy worked with them separately. During that session, they did a “Take down” drill…or rather a “stay up” drill, which was more like grapple sparring. (keep in mind, the judokas had only been in judo for a couple of years.) The aikidoist and the first judoka engaged. The aikidoist went down after the first move that the judoka applied.

The move, which (I don’t know the japanese name for it) was nicknaked “stepping in postholes” by my friend. He described it as placing the inner surface of your foot along the outer surface of your opponent’s foot as they side step. Then you simultaneously pull down on their sleeve on that side. The result is that they step through and never touch the ground with their foot, like they were expecting. So they fall on their side. It feels like stepping in a post-hole.

Keep in mind that this was told to me by someone who was into judo, and also I really don’t know the credentials of the Aikido instructor, but his school had been around for over 12 years.

Ko2

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Oct 20, 2004 9:15 am

the problem with alot of aikido, as it is taught in the US, is that there is no real assuredness that the instructor is anything but a blowhard. I’ve been to some dojos and the guys are newage/ninja blowhards and then I have been to some and it was just otherworldly.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?