Ali stops Toughill in 3

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

rick_alexio
    Post subject: Ali stops Toughill in 3 PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:19 pm

“MCI Center, Washington DC:
    Unbeaten female super middleweight Laila Ali outclassed Erin Toughill, winning by third round TKO. The bout was stopped with Ali punishing Toughill on the ropes. Time was 1:59. Ali adds the WBC super middle belt to her collection.”

Unfortunately, Erin did not appear (IMO) to be in the kind of optimum speed condition necessary to beat Ali. I still believe she can beat her but would need to kick it up a few notches and come in much faster at a lower BF%.

Nonetheless, hats off to Laila – got to give up to her for proving she is the “real deal” by beating a fighter of Erin’s caliber.

RA

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 9:49 pm
    Pro Fighter

thanks for posting, I was looking all over for results!

rick_alexio
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:14 am

You bet, Rox. And for those who missed it check Showtime for re-airing in the next couple weeks.

RA

themannon
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 7:45 am

Quote:
    I still believe she can beat her but would need to kick it up a few notches and come in much faster at a lower BF%.

I don’t. Laila is just the far superior boxer.

I do agree that Erin might want to move down a weightclass.

debi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 9:23 am
    Fightergirls Pro Fight Team

I was IMPRESSED with the caliber of both fighters; they represented women’s boxing well. They both looked like professional. fighters. Far too often in women fighting, we do not see that.

Erin got her nose broke in round one and was not able to really recover. I spoke with her right after the fight when she was at the hospital and told me this herself.

That and Ali’s experience played so much a role. She has SO much more experience in that kind of arena. And IT matters.

Erin did well in round one, and I WAS impressed with Ali she has gotten better since they last time I had watched her box, But I was also impressed with the skills of Erin.

Until you see my happy ass fighting on show time under Mike Tyson, I will not be too judgmental any time soon, Ill tell you that much.

Congrats Erin, you took a chance knowing your inexperience would play a role. And you also knew short of a KO you would never win. So IM proud of you for going out there and doing it,

There will be more fights and your boxing is only getting better,

It must have felt great to walk into that crowd knowing that you MADE it there with all your hard work.

Debi

Olga
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 11:01 am

I totally agree with you Deb.

I watched the fight last night, and was really impressed with both Erin and Laila. Never really got the chance in the past to see Erin box, I was very much impressed with her skill level and her overall presence there. Laila is definitly a good boxer, but her attitude after the fight, I personally believe stunk. No class. Call me crazy, but I’m just not the type of person that believes in this whole “trash talking” business. I have the up most respect for my opponent. I didn’t see any of that with Laila.
    But that’s just me.

Great job Erin, I think you rocked, sorry to hear about your nose (had no idea it got broken in the first round), you are a tough lady!

Olga

Executioner
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:07 pm

Maybe a rematch at MMA rules? 8)

holddown
    Post subject: erinPostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:42 pm

http://www.fightergirls.com

Rebel
    Post subject: Ali Vs. Toughill Was The Most Exciting Fight At The MCIPostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:02 pm

Erin went to the body and countered punched well on certain selected exchanges; momentarily, it slowed Ali down. Erin doesn’t lack punching power.

You have to give the Ali her due, she is very skilled and a good combination puncher. Erin punched her (Ali) pretty hard on one occasion and Ali rolled with the punch. Ali showed up to fight.

You have to possess a strong will and toughness to continue fighting after receiving a broken nose.

rick_alexio
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 3:11 pm

Also agree with Debi, experience is a HUGE factor…and putting things into perspective I do not think Laila was far better than Erin when she was at 8 fights – I think Erin is better than Laila *was* at that point.

Laila’s speed and conditioning are a primary key to her abilities, so with the disadvantage in experience it was crucial to at least come in faster and in better condition than Laila – I don’t feel Erin was – however, it wouldn’t take that much adjustment to get there but she has to want it.

RA

Last edited by rick_alexio on Sun Jun 12, 2005 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JulesK
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 5:12 pm
    Pro Fighter

Erin–
    I was unable to make it to the fights on Saturday but my thoughts and hopes were with you all day. I know people are taling a lot of s*** right now, but I just wanted to say congrats for stepping up to a major challenge. I hope you have a speedy recovery for your nose (ouch) and I’m sure this will not set you back at all…merely challenge you to come back stronger and more determined to kick some ass!

Good luck with your fights in the future…I will be following your career with interest and anticipation!

jules

greatlaughter
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 10:49 am
    Pro Fighter

Hey, we all know what would have happened if she stepped in one of ‘our’ rings. Congrats on an excellent victory. You two helped bring recognition to womens fighting and will drum up some talk about women in MMA as well I hope. Be proud. Sorry about the loss but Good f-in’ job anyway.

Heather

Spiderwoman
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2005 2:39 am

greatlaughter
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2005 4:54 pm
    Pro Fighter

So, Spidy, who are you? And why do you find it fun to disrespect folks who put their shit on the line?

This, my friends, is the primary difference in our sport….we are much better sportsman/women (usually).

Good job to BOTH fighters. And let’s squish Spidy.

TheConqueror
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 2:48 pm

Does anyone have a vid of this fight?

lola
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 10:32 pm

I don’t agree with all the trash talk in boxing and mma in general. I think it makes people in both sports look bad. And the loser looks like an even bigger loser. Before the fight Erin never felt as if she would lose becuse ali had more fights under her belt. That was the part of the reason she says she lost. And Erin, in her usual style, then threw out that she could kick ali’s butt outside the ring, I don’t question that. Telling someone she will kick there butt seams to be Erins answer to anyone that isn’t a 100% on her side. I realy didn’t care who won ,I’m just happy to see women getting the attention they deserve. Woman’s boxing is realy just in the infancy stage ,as more women like Erin step in to the ring the sport can only get better.

Last edited by lola on Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spidermenda
    Post subject: Ali vs Toughill fight videoPostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 6:50 am

Here is a video clip from showtime showing the 3rd round of the fight. I think Erin had done very well. The annoucers were even on Erin’s side.
    http://www.fightergirls.com

scarce
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:52 am
    Fightergirls elite poster

just saw the video…

not a big boxing fan….

but that bonehead ali..

has that loose left jab…

that finally played out.

when she scored a nice shot…

and then started putting her weight on all the punches…
    ….take away that loose left jab….
    and even…a midget can beat ali…she aint all that…..((((splat)))))

scarce
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 8:59 am
    Fightergirls elite poster

..whoops……my bad…..my bad/

its a left jab/measuring stick.

what boxers use to measure your distance.

and poor erin got caught in it/

she thru that left arm all day

to measure her shot.
    and it finally played. out/

i hate bonehead ali
    ..she aint all that…and she jukes like a fruitcake/ ((((LOL))))))

rick_alexio
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Jul 01, 2005 1:53 pm

Again, even in the 3rd Erin was doing excellent work and is already close to where she needs to be…she is *almost* there right now. I think her body attack is stellar (better than Ali’s) but when she comes up top with hooks Erin is still a bit flat-footed and leaning back too much which left her off-balance at times….and, she could use some more uppercuts off the hooks to the body.
    The head movement is looking good (but could be quicker) and when she slips the jab needs to move in and explode forward. If not for the nose issue and the slight edge in speed/power conditioning it could’ve easily swung the other way.

RA

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?