amanda buckner quote is removed from the interview

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

murka
    Post subject: amanda buckner quote is removed from the interview Post Posted: Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:54 pm

The big story was about Amanda Buckner being rejected by EliteXC on account of how she looks. Since last night, the quote she gave regarding the situation was taken out of the interview she gave, and the whole story has been pulled down by several sites ???by request of Showtime???.

Here???s the quote from Buckner which caused so much controversy:

Quote:
    BH: It seems like Bodog and Showtime are the places to be if you are a female fighter, any chance we will see you on a Showtime card soon?

AB: We???ve heard from Showtime that, even though they think I???m a great fighter, they will not be using me unless I change my appearance and personality. This is obviously so insane and ludicrous that I can???t really think of much else to say about it. Until the quality of the fighters is the single most important factor in matching their fights, Showtimes womens division will be a joke (this is not a slam on their current fighters, as I think most of them are great).
    The author of the interview, Bruce Hoyer, put out the following on the OTM forums to explain why he removed that quote from the interview:
    Quote:
    So i just wanted to send a quick comment about this whole thing. I got a call from showtime???s PR office for writing this and they asked that I pull the article. Because they state that the comments are simply not true and no one from showtime has spoken to amanda. Again this is showtimes statement not mine.

Anyways I called Gumby [who runs OTM, where the interview was hosted] and asked him to pull the portion about showtime until showtime can issue a statement about the ???allegations???. I understand that I made an error in that I did not contact Showtime and ask them to verify the comments, sorry for that. I also just wanted to comment that it was my desicion to pull a portion of the article not Gumby???s or anyone at On The Mat.

Gumby suggested that we leave it up there and wait for Showtime to issue a statement, I would agree but I have to protect my fighters interests and don???t want to harm their earning potential because of something I did.
    If you are an interviewer quoting another person on the internet, you are not responsible in any way, shape, or form for what they say. So why remove the quote? Some people are just plain dumb.
    ________
    Think Mill
    Last edited by murka on Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

mindfull
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:36 am

Worst interviewer ever.

frankp316
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:56 am
    Fightergirls elite poster

It’s like he said in his mea culpa. He forgot to check with Showtime to see if they have in fact talked to Amanda. They say no and Amanda may have heard that from a third party. He didn’t clarify that with her or contact Showtime. So at least he admits he messed up.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:57 am
    Instructor

Is it possible that Amanda said Showtime but meant EliteXC? I could understand Showtime not wanting to take the heat for that comment, especially if they didn’t make it!
    Showtime just airs the fights though, right? I mean they don’t actually have anything to do with the content, do they?

frankp316
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 4:21 pm

Showtime owns EliteXC.

abuckner
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:09 pm
    Pro Fighter

This is just another bit of insanity as far as I’m concerned. For that quote to be taken out and for other sites to be removing the interview is really a sad thing. I was obviously referring to EliteXC in this interview. Anyone that talks about Showtime and mma is talking about EliteXC,everybody knows that. Maybe both Bruce and myself made the mistake of saying Showtime instead of EliteXC. It would have been interesting to see if they would have had a problem with it if the name Showtime had been left out. Anyone that thinks that EliteXC is choosing women for their division based solely on their skill level is seriously delusional. That’s fine and as a business it’s their prerogative to do whatever they want but it’s unfortunate that Elite/Showtime is in the position to really show the world the skill level that women fighters have achieved and they’re not really choosing to do so. If they took the ball that Bodog attempted and ran with it they would have the sickest division ever, the money to continue with it like Bodog wasn’t able to, and the whole world would get to see it. This would obviously be amazing for the women out there that have been working so hard so I think it’s understandable that I would have a high level of frustration with what they’re doing. In any case I think if Showtime was upset about the use of their name it would have been much quicker fix to just substitute EliteXC for Showtime and still keep that part of the interview intact.

Maulinator
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:27 pm
    Pro Fighter

Ditto, well said Amanda. It was pretty shocking to hear that Elite treated you like that in the first place, but to actually go and have your comment removed is complete crap. And the fact that these journalists actually got bullied into doing it….. wow.

I totally feel your frustration when here you have a promotion that has the ability to really showcase females with the skill level that they (we) have worked so hard to attain, and they choose the hollywood route instead.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again – out of all the female fighters out there you by far have the highest respect among your peers for your ability and demeanor. It’s a shame you keep getting shafted.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:06 am
    Instructor

Amanda and Molly both make good points. You guys are 100% correct.

They have to know that word will get out sooner or later. It’ll become more public with the more women they negotiate with. We had already heard the comments made to Debi and Kelly when they were looking for Gina’s opponent in their first show. They can’t keep it under wraps forever.

frankp316
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:15 am

Showtime can keep it under wraps because they they will never allow their real intentions to remain in public domain. Look what they did here. But as one who writes about this stuff, I have been aware of their intentions for a long time. The tipoff was when Dave Meltzer saw Gina Carano at the Strikeforce show in San Jose and said she had “the look”. It didn’t matter that she didn’t have much MMA experience at the time. “The look” was more important to Showtime than her accomplishments. They signed her shortly after that.

The problem with Bodog isn’t money. Calvin Ayre has more money than brains. But they lost their US TV deal with ION and they’re holding on to a lot of their shows until that is rectified. I believe they are waiting for The Fight Network to launch in the US as proposed. Of course TFN airs in Canada and recently took over The Wrestling Channel in England. I’m not sure when they plan to launch in the US but it is in the works.

JDF
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:12 am

Well…I think Amanda looks damn good…but i dont watch her fight because she looks good….I watch her fights because I know Im gonna see some MMA at its best.
    After hearing this I have to admit I am becoming more and more disapointed with Elitexc. AT first I thought it was gonna be an awesome platform for women’s MMA….and it seems to be ok so far unless you dont fit their description of smile…How many ugly men we watch in MMA? LOTS!!! lol …but thats because we are not looking to watch “Baywatch”!…for godsake whos Gina’s next opponent? Pamela Anderson? And are we gonna see Kimbo SLice vs Ryan Seacrest anytime soon? wtf.
    If EliteXc wants to gain and maintain integrity in the sport…then in my opinion they need to stop acting like pimps and get serious.
    OHHH… I must admit tho Id give anything to see Britney Spears vs. Paris Hilton.

kaitlinrose
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 8:07 am
    Pro Fighter

*is incredibly disturbed by this*

Maybe Im out of the loop…what was said to Deb and Kelly???

Does this remind anyone of “A League of Their Own”? My boyfriend often compares the bullshit in women’s MMA to that movie…

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:56 am
    Instructor

Kaitlin, the comments were on this thread:
    And yes, it does kind of sound like A League of Their Own.

treelizard
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:21 pm

Amanda and Debi (and anyone else with first hand experience)–I’d be interested in interviewing you specifically about Elite XC and how they are fixing fights and posting it on my site. It ain’t big but at least the truth will be out there…

frankp316
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:21 pm

They’re not fixing fights. The issue with Showtime/EliteXC is there is some resentment that the promotion has chosen Gina Carano as “the face” of womens MMA based on her looks. Common sense says that if the promotion is looking to build up Gina, they’re not going to put her in a match with someone with significantly better credentials until later on. The problem is Gina’s push hasn’t gone as scheduled because a) she got sick in Korea last summer and b) her American Gladiator committments. She said the other day she will get back to fighting starting in April.

frankp316
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:47 am

Related article about Gina Carano on MMA Weekly.

treelizard

Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:21 pm

Although some people believe fights aren’t being fixed, I would really love to cover both sides of the story.

😛

frankp316
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 3:43 am

Or it could be that you don’t know what you’re talking about.

treelizard
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:30 am

Don’t take that bait!!!

J
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:37 am

Is everyone talking about the same thing here?

When I hear “fixed fight”, I think that you are talking about the outcome of the fight being agreed upon beforehand and one fighter taking a fall to build the other up.

Some people seem to just be talking about “setting up” a fighter (or some other term that evades me at the moment). This would mean that a fighter is fighting opponents who don’t really pose a challenge to them & they are building their record up on easy fights.

Showtime not offering contracts to Debi & Amanda to fight Gina is not what I think of as “fixing fights”.

frankp316
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:28 pm

Me neither. While some fans are unhappy with the way Showtime is promoting Gina Carano, it is their prerogative to build her up as they see fit. That means they’re not going to put her in there with a top fighter until they think she’s ready. It’s a hell of a leap for anyone to think the fights are fixed. That’s ludicrous.

murka
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:00 pm

J wrote:
    Showtime not offering contracts to Debi & Amanda to fight Gina is not what I think of as “fixing fights”.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but didn’t EliteXC offer both Purcell and La Rosa a deal, and they turned it down because it wasn’t good enough (not enough money, fighting on the undercards for a while to ‘prove’ themselves)?

Anyway, I think Amanda Buckner should just go all out and create a crazy punk gimmick for herself, showing up to fight in crazy ass outfits with multicolored spiky hair, obviously she doesn’t fit the traditional feminine standard, but there are many other ways for a woman to create a fan following, as long as she is exciting and unconventional. Unfortunately the popularity and employability of the fighter is not solely dependent on her skills, you have to have a popular image as well, Tito Ortiz is the master of that.
    ________
    Iolite Vaporizer
    Last edited by murka on Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

J
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:38 am

Sorry, didn’t mean to misspeak – I know that offers have been made to various people — I don’t remember all the details.

I was just trying to make the point that NOT offering someone a contract (or offering someone a crappy contract) is not called “fixing” a fight.

JDF
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:55 am

i really hope Carano is redi to fight in March…seems like its been forever since her last fight…and with all the anticipation on who will be her next opponent. Too bad Elite XC couldnt get Larosa and passed on Buckner. When will we see a womens division of MMA holding the top female competitors on a major venue? Imagine an organization with Larosa, Buckner, Purcell, Toughill, Carano, Baszler, smile, Kedzie, Evinger, Koebold, and all the other bada**es….OHhhh…and championship belts for all weight classes. I was hoping to see this from XC in the near future…but doesnt seem likely when they pass on top competitors for image. Well for now it would at least be nice to see a womens special attraction on each elite xc ticket.

frankp316
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:36 am

NBC is shooting a second season of American Gladiators in March. Gina said she will get back to MMA in April.

Sako
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:24 am

I wonder if Gina’s mma skills and training are suffering because American Gladiators.

frankp316
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:44 am

Probably. It appears that neither Gina or her agent knew that the show would occupy her time as much as it has.

Sako
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 7:15 pm

I hope they don’t give Gina an easy fight, I’d rather see her lose a fight where she fought her butt off and showed what she is made of then fight someone that would drop on the floor and tap out before getting hit a la Bo Cantrell.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?