amenorrhea

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

casey
    Post subject: amenorrhea Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:04 am

Has anyone ever experienced amenorrhea (when your period stops for 6 months or more) due to weight loss form training. I lost 10 pounds from training in Thailand and haven’t gotten my period for 2 months. My bodyfat percentage is low, but I definately has some weight to spare. I was wondering if other fighters struggled with this issue and how they deal with it.

XcashXmoneyX
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 2:04 pm
    Pro Fighter

ive gotten that before just from training hard, and not necessarily losing weight. its really not bad, i didnt have any problems from it except when you do get your period again you get worse cramping. im sure everyones different though…i dont know all that much about it.

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:29 am
    Pro Fighter

Hah. Get a load of this:

I think it was four years ago, I stopped getting my period. This was after first starting cutting weight for fighting, and training really really hard. After a year of not having it, I went to the doctor. She said that my bones are in danger of calcium depletion, so maybe it’d be good to induce it. I took progesterone and it came.

It never came again. (incert sinister music)

I haven’t had my period for 3 years.

I went to the doctor a month ago. She took blood tests and while waiting for the results, said “Oh your organs will atrophy if you don’t have it.” She gave me progesterone again. I took it. The period didn’t come. I went back. (a week ago). She said, “er okay so your estrogen levels and thyroid are normal but apparently not good enough for YOU.” So now I’m taking Estrogen for a month, and THEN I get to take the progesterone AGAIN. I’m on day 9 of the estrogen. -_-

Good luck with yours.

casey
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 2:40 am

Wow, Roxie-sounds awful. Calcium depletion in the bones was exactly what I as afraid of. Thanks so much for sharing that. Hopefully you’ve finally gotten it right. I’ll definately go to the doctors if this continues for another few months.

Roebozz
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:27 am

Yes, For a year or so because i lost a drastic amount of weight in a short period of time. It can also be due to a lack of fat in your diet-make sure you’re eatting enough of “good fats”

BrawlerBitch
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:28 am

Overtraining or heavy training not just lower bodyfat will do it. i have delt with it on & off over the years. I would rather deal with bone loss than put estrogen or pogesterone in my body. calcium complexes & Omega 3’s are a good way to go. i prefer not to have my period anyway.

XcashXmoneyX
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:56 pm
    Pro Fighter

yeah im not shredded or anything and i still miss sometimes, and never did before i started training mma. its only when i stress my body hard training for a fight or something.
    i agree with brawler, i would rather take calcium and a really high quality PHARMACEUTICAL GRADE (this is important) fish oil supplement…
    because taking those hormones will whack your body and make you retain water and feel like a slug…not to mention cry all the time and have horrible cramps…at least thats what happens if i take hormonal birth control which is progesterone based. so…i dont anymore. i seriously train like complete ass if im on birth control pills or patches. im sure everyone is different though.

the important question is…how do YOU feel?

casey
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:09 pm

Ironically I finally got my period-just in time to put on a few pounds of water weight right before a fight. Ahh, the fun aspects of being a girl! I appreciate all the advice for future reference as I’m sure this will occur again.

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:51 pm
    Pro Fighter

BrawlerBitch, you say you’d rather take calcium and deal with bone loss…I used to think, and I started drinking milk like a mad woman.

BUT then the doctor told me that my organs will ATRPHOHY….that means shrink and become unable to be used, so would you rather have that? Never have children and have your hormones screwed up for the rest of your life?

BrawlerBitch
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:55 pm

I’m 45 and still going strong after 27 years of missed periods due to high training & low b/f over the years. I never wanted kids so I don’t care about that or a shortened life from shrinking organs.

Live Fast & Die Young is my motto.

If you don’t agree…….keep your fat level high & don’t train to hard.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?