Any advice…?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

dl_angel
    Post subject: Any advice…? Post Posted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 7:14 pm

I’m hoping to get into competing (cage fighting or kickboxing probably)… does anyone have any advice? I haven’t seen a lot about women fighters (except on this website) and I’m not too sure what to expect. I have a trainer and I’ll be training at a Muay Thai school soon (I currently do taekwondo- which was a good foundation, but not what I’m probably going to need to compete).

I also haven’t seen a lot of fights for women. Are there many around (in the US)? Are there states where it’s not allowed?

I guess a couple questions I have are….
    -are there any requirements about protective gear for women?
    -how much (how often, how long) do you train? Weights, cardio, sparring, etc.
    -things to beware of or be aware of…
    -are there any ways female fights differ from male fights?

Ok and this is a stupid question… so I hear that men abstain from smile prior to fights… do women do that too? 😀 Sorry, just had to ask. I don’t think it would make any sense, but… apparently a lot of men don’t think their abstaining would make sense either.

I can’t think of anything else to ask, but any other advice would be great…. anything you wish you’d known getting into this.

Many thanks!

Lil Katai
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2004 11:38 pm
    Pro Fighter

My advice is that if your doing it cause you will get paid, your in it for all the wrong reasons. Cause in MMA, you don’t get paid much unless you are fighting in big promotions. And even then, it takes a long time to get there. Generally women get paid a little more than guys do just because there are very few of them.

There are a lot of fights out there for chicks, you just have to look for them. Talk to other fighters and also with promoters.

Something to beware of …… Watch your back! You have to know what is right for you and what you can do as a person. People are going to try and thorw you into fights that you are not ready for. When getting paid, with with also try and get by with paying you as less as possible. So you have to be your own boss as well as your own fighter. Get somone that has been doing it for a while to help you out as far as the contracts and what-not. If the money is not right or they are trying to throw you to the wolves, don’t be afraid to turn the fight down.

Protective gear … MMA gloves and mouth guard. It is up to you if you want to wear anything else i.e breast protector, groin protector.

Training and working out. When you have a fight coming up, thats all your going to be doing for like 3 months before the fight is sleeping, eating right and training. Nothing else. Well, your job too if you have one.

Female fights will generaly draw in the crowd for either of two reasons …. 1. there are not many female fighters and when there is one, people love to watch and see the skill. or 2. you will get the street crowd there cause they just want to see two chicks go at it.

Its a fun game and many fighters are all friends and can relate to the same feelings of each other. it’s deffenitly a world that you are either on the inside and can truly understand a fighter or on the outside and have a general idea of whats going on.

Either way you choose to go, good luck and train smart.

ladygrappler
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:42 pm

Hey there,

Good advice from Katai! Just want to re emphasize that you need to be your own boss! Only do what you feel ready for!

Also male and female fights (i find) differ only very slightly. I train with all males and I find when going into tournaments women are less about out muscleing and more about out manuvering! Other than that..the ambition and fighting spirit and skill is usually the same.

Also if you plan on doing Muay Thai , for when you begin., get shin protectors, and as you condition your shins, remove the protectors.

As for the smile question, it is relevant. It makes your legs weaker. Im not sure as to why, I know that it happens though. It affects females the same way it affects males. Thats why some fighters Abstain from smile a few weeks to a few months before fights.

Just one quick reminder, if there are no females at your gym to train with , please don’t get discouraged!! I see it happend far to often that a female is very excited about starting her grappleing/MMA training, and find that she is the only female , get intimidated and don’t go through with it anyways. Don’t feel insecure or anything like that, everyone in the class started where you are at the same skill level!
    Best of luck with your training!!

Chelsea Ferrando
    Warrior Martial arts center
    New Market Ontario

dl_angel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:07 am

Thanks so much for all the advice. 🙂

Right now I’m still checking out the gyms in my area… I did notice that there were a lot of men (all men), but that’s alright. I guess there are some women from time to time.

My problem at this point is that I was originally interested in doing both muay thai and jiu-jitsu, but I’m thinking that it might be better for me to concentrate on the muay thai for a while and then add in jiu-jitsu once I feel comfortable competing in something like kickboxing. Not to mention that it’d be a little less expensive at some of the gyms. There’s only three gyms in my area and I’ve been to two. The schools both seemed good, but the one near me is probably better because it’s 20 min closer, got A/C (I’m in Texas [and originally from New Hampshire] so I can’t imagine how the other school would be in August), the instructor’s students have done a lot of competing (successfully according to him), and there’s a LOT of classes (right now I am at tkd between 4-6 days a week and I would probably want to do this 5-6 days/week). BUT to do Jiu-jitsu and Muay Thai, it’ll be $140/month (or just Muay Thai for $80/mo). The other school does both for $80/mo. So I’m still trying to decide on a school.

Breast protectors… groin protectors… I didn’t realize they were optional- are they more helpful or restrictive? Are there regulations about what type of breast protectors are used (I have seen some that cover wayyy too much torso and then others that look like they’d be terrible if you were grappling in them)?

As for not doing it to get paid… I’m just excited that sometimes it’s possible to actually get money back… I’m used to sports where you sink LOTS of money into it and get a $2 trophy to add to the collection (I horseback rode for 10 years). And besides the training expenses, at least there isn’t a lot of gear to buy. 😉

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?