Any Wrestlers

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

Sears
    Post subject: Any WrestlersPostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 9:08 pm

I know grappling is like Wrestling, only with submission but did anyone on here cross train from Wrestling to Grappling? Becuase I’ve been making that transition this year wen I got into grappling. And i’ve realized 2 t hings.

1. wrestling totally helped me grasp the submissions, and have givin me great balance and movement..

2. the weight classed for women in MMA (or grappling) are huge. I’m 103lbs and i’m always fighting girls 140 and lower. I neve rmind.. but its hard to actually feel liek i cam eoutta that match learning something becuase for the biger girls its like pinning a 6y/o lol!

But I was wondering if there were any other wrestlers out there…?

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:38 pm

I’m glad you’re posting here. I’ve been trying to raise the roof on the Womens wrestling in the Olympics. I think it is a great thing for all female combat sport athletes, especially those into MMA.

As for wrestling converting to grappling, I think that is a good starting point. You’ll already have an understanding of leverage coming into it. Just remember to be open minded and lose some bad wrestling habits, like putting your head in a bad position for getting guillotined when you shoot in. That is pretty common. Also, watch for kimuras. That is another anti-shoot technique applied to wrestlers who first switch to grappling.

Sadly, I think that a lot of wrestlers are pretty closed minded to cross training in BJJ/ground grappling. It seems like such a natural progression.

Sears
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 6:17 am

Yeah I learned what NOT to do my very first match… I got killed but I didn’t care I was doing grappling for like few weeks and the coaches wanted me to gain some experience… lol 🙂 But it was fun I learned a lot by losing. OH yeah this year is the first year for womens wrestling PERIOD neve rmind just in the usa… A gurl i use to train with at mcmaster university in hamilton ontario missed the olympics by 1 point in her qualifier match… she’s so good. She’s also in Judo!

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 11:03 am

Yeah, I hear ya. It’s not only about the USA team. I’ve been trying to read up on other teams, but it is difficult to find info on them. The USA team is just now starting to gain attention in the media. They are one of the top two favored countries to win medals in womens wrestling. I’m sure there are other countries that are not far behind the top two. Maybe they will start entering the spotlight when it gest closer to competition time?

Sorry to hear that you had to compete against a girl weighing 140 lbs. I don’t exactly know what the weight divisions are for female grappling tournaments, but can’t imagine that is a common thing (105lbs vs 140lbs). I think it is commendable that you went in to gain experience even with the weight disadvantage.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?