Anyone wear makeup when they fight?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

Anthea
    Post subject: Anyone wear makeup when they fight? PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:22 am
    Pro Fighter

This may seem like a silly question. But then i was watching one of the girls in my club get ready for her first fight and she was putting on her mascara and eyeliner and i was like “eh? what the hell’s that for?” and she replied “i want to look good while i fight”.

Fair enough i guess, i mean i make sure all my plaits are even etc, and i guess if you’re going to be on video you want to make sure you look good…? (i still think it’s slightly bizzare though, i mean we’re out there to *KICK ASS*, not to pick up guys or anything… but then again, i never wear make up anyway so i’m probably the wrong person to comment…).

My trainer (male) also said something about how it can actually be quite dangerous if it gets in your eye (due to all the sweat etc)…

Do any of you girls wear make up when you fight?

Haha in my first time in the ring i fought this girl and it was pretty much a walkover (i was a lot more used to getting hit than she was) but anyway, we joked afterwards about how my only *battle scar* was her mascara smudged on my bicep- i mean if you’re going to wear mascara when you fight, at least make sure it’s waterproof!!! 😀

Anthea
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:39 am
    Pro Fighter

Lol i didn’t mean to imply that people would only wear make up to pick up guys! You get my drift…

Oh and “plaits” = braids for our American viewers 😀

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 2:08 pm
    Instructor

I think it’s pretty ridiculous. I mean, you may do it to look good, but once it’s smeared all over your face you’ll look much worse than you do without any makeup at all!!!

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 5:07 pm
    Pro Fighter

hahaha wearing make up while you fight, the very idea! you are right on, Anthea. Silly opponant girl. 😛 I won’t even paint my nails.

[edit] Hell, I don’t even HAVE nails!

VooDooQueen
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 7:57 pm

Well, I will paint my nails…and on occasion I have worn the sports make up but I really dont wear makeup during a fight. When I was not allowed to fight due to a sprained knee, I competed in forms instead and wore make up and a pretty lil up do. Funny, the ppl at my dojo had to look at me twice….I even had my lil Marylin Monroe handbag with me..they asked me if I was doing a purse kata. HA friggen HA. They had never seen me made up before.

As far as it being dangerous..nah…its not 1950 any more and there are some products on the market that wont even cry off and can make it through an entire chick flick. There are lipsticks that wont kiss off at all…so..if ya wanna get made up ..go for it. But the chick whose ass you are kicking really doesnt give a shit.

Pickin up guys?? Well, I am married, but I have heard that some guys..not all ..think its hot for a chick to fight anyhow….so those are the ones that will be watching ya skillzz and not your all day wear red lipstick.

VooDoo

Anthea
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 9:07 pm
    Pro Fighter

Lol at the “purse kata”… Haha it’s funny when you see guys from your club when you’re dressed up (or even if you’re just out of your usual track pants and t-shirt) and they make really intelligent comments like “Hey, you’re actually a girl”… 🙄

Although on the positive side i choose to take it as a complement that they hadn’t *noticed* this before (i.e. they’re not spending every training being constantly aware of my feminine status…).

And i always chuckle at girls when they come to their first training wearing push up bras and a fancy hair-do and sporting a whole lot of jewellry… as i suppose they laugh at me in my totally unflattering training gears (why do thai-shorts always make people’s bums look huge?! Or is it just my bum hehe).

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:15 am
    Pro Fighter

I HATE thai shorts. I wanted to buy’em, and my instructor was trying to get me to buy them, but I tried them on and I hated the fit and the look…mainly the fit, so I just didn’t get them. 😡 I’m the only one in my Muay thai gym without them (I suck)

XcashXmoneyX
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:11 am
    Pro Fighter

thai shorts really arent flattering, i dont know what it is, but maybe the way they flair out on the sides or something. who knows?
    as far as the makeup goes, im a powder and lipgloss kinda girl anyway, i dont wear eyeliner and mascara. ive tried it, but i always think i look raccoonish, and it irritates my eyes.
    i have been known, though, to wear makeup at a tournament but its in moderation if i look really tired or i have that awesome mat-induced acne. i just never was a face painter, so maybe im not a good one to comment on this.
    i do know one girl though whose eyeliner and mascara would run all over the place and i think that would make me nutsola, besides making my eyes swell up. to each their own, nothing wrong with a girl being pretty and tough…

Mma girl
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:48 pm

My first thought to this was why the hell would anyone think about make up when fighting but my bf (also a pro fighter) just brought up a really great point. When he fights he has his token electric blue speedo’s, gum shield and anklets, as he thinks its always nice to look good for the fans. He said its more important to look good by winning but its good to put in the effort for the people who pay to keep you fighting. I have my first amateur fight next week and I definatly won’t be wearing make up but maybe if I ever go pro I’ll consider it. I’m a singer by trade so I know how important it is to look good for the people who pay to see you.

Quote:
    . Haha it’s funny when you see guys from your club when you’re dressed up (or even if you’re just out of your usual track pants and t-shirt) and they make really intelligent comments like “Hey, you’re actually a girl”… Rolling Eyes

LMAO at this, I get that all the time. When we’re at fight show together all the guys think its wierd seeing me dressed up and one guy actually said “bloody hell, you actually look really feminine” He was really shocked, it was hilarious.

dl_angel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:48 pm

I wore makeup to the gym this morning (they were filming for news channel so we weren’t theoretically working out) and then to work all day- my eyes are KILLING me right now. I think it’s a mix of allergies + makeup. So i think that I MIGHT wear tinted moisturizer or something if i really felt the need, but not eye makeup because I don’t want my eyes to feel more tired, itchy, and wattery. Too big of a risk to take and too little benefit…. it can’t HURT me to go without. I just don’t like anything that could possibly distract me from what I’m doing (short attention span). No itchy clothes, makeup, no hair to get tangled up, etc.

greatlaughter
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 9:02 pm
    Pro Fighter

i saw some caked on at hooknshoot. no names, no names…
    personally, i have a habbit of powder and something shiny on my lips. but looking at pictures before my fight and before tournaments, it looks like just powder and maybe a lip balm (hate dry lips)
    if a chic came out all glammy, i’d laugh, but you never, never know.
    the guys at the gym say i clean up pretty good or they’ll whistle or something when i come in dressed nicely after work. it’s a great opportunity to say ‘yeah, but i’m about to get REAL ugly’ one guy always says ‘nah, you look like you just kicked ass’
    that’s a better compliment to me!
    🙂
    ‘course, it’s been weeks now since i’ve trained. 3!!! i’ve started going to a regular gym and am waiting until i am 100% better b4 i train again. i’m tellin’ ya girls – take care of yourself – if you don’t it’ll put you so far back…
    ciao for now,
    h

Anthea
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 11:15 pm
    Pro Fighter

Maybe we should all band together and invent some thai shorts that are flattering! Or maybe Debi could import us some from some secret place 😀

Powder wouldn’t really work for me- before i go out to fight my trainer smears vasaline alllllll over my face, haha one time though i made him put some on my lips as well cos they were all dry (hate dry lips too).

dl_angel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:19 am

vaseline on your face? i would break out SO bad. 😆 what’s the purpose (MT)?

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:24 am
    Pro Fighter

dl_angel,

Vaseline lets strikes slip off the face rather than break the skin, right?

Anthea
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:37 am
    Pro Fighter

Yep that’s the idea- he also puts it on my neck as well (to make grappling/clinching harder I guess) so i have to spend rather a lot of time post-fight wiping it all off and getting the big glumps out of my hair… 😀

VooDooQueen
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:43 am

Vaseline on your face….yuck! That would drive me nuts, but I am sure it does serve a purpose. I bet it is better than Oil of Olay for wrinkles. I know it is awesome for dry skin which is so common here in Colorado. I use it on my feet and hands when I dont have Bag Balm (yes..the stinky shit for cow udders…but it is the shit when the elements dry your feet out). I slather it on at night after my shower and use the spa socks to keep it from messing everything up. The next morning, my feet look like a million bucks. You can get the stuff from the drugstore in the beauty aisle for 6 bucks ..or at Walmart in the pet aisle for 4 bucks…your call.

As far as banding together for better fighting apparel for women…I think that is an idea way past over due. Hell, Venus and Serena Williams vamped up tennis threads…so why can’t some talented fightergirl do the same? We really need something that is more tailored for the feminine shape and not the straight male body. I mean, we fight..but we are still women underneath it all.

VooDoo

Just because a glammed up fighter comes out, doesnt mean she cant fight…it could be a ploy to make you underestimate her.

dl_angel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 7:34 am

Quote:
    Just because a glammed up fighter comes out, doesnt mean she cant fight…it could be a ploy to make you underestimate her.

Honestly though, a lot of the guys do the same. They just have a different way of drawing attention to themselves- like jumping up on the ropes/cage (hehe my instructor said he once saw someone do this after a fight, fall over, and break their arm or something), sometimes different apparel, etc.

It seemed like the women on the first HnS had different entrances and such too- I’m guessing that every fighter likes their own style so they can be recognized… this includes clothes. It seems to me that promoters like someone who not only fights well, but who can help draw a good crowd. That might mean being attractive… and attractive means wearing things that make you look good. Plus, our looking attractive/feminine is good for the sport so hopefully people will be less likely to… uhh… attribute male characteristics… to us.

XcashXmoneyX
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2005 3:21 pm
    Pro Fighter

i must say its pretty cool to realize that all the other girls are going through the same funny things i think about on my alone time.
    the vaseline helps to keep you from getting cut, as was mentioned before. i havent had a problem with it breaking me out but i make sure i wash my face really well when i get home. i do get broken out sometimes from grappling though, especially on my back. i think its from sweating heavily and my rashguard/sports bra rubbing mat yuckies into my skin because i play guard a lot. but, i have noticed tanning has cleared up my skin a lot.
    the comments about how the guys never recognize you when youre not a beat up sweaty mess is funny because i get the same thing. i went up and hugged a guy from our columbus school at KOTC a while back and he looked at me like “who is this psycho touching me?!” then he was like “oh! hey! i didnt even recognize you…”
    the girl at hook n shoot with the caked on makeup….i dont know if im thinking of the same person, i wasnt there…but i know someone who used to train with eyeliner all over the place, all in the headgear, etc.
    i always feel bad for the guys when i go train after being out running around and i leave little tan makeup patches on their gear, but it washes out.
    anyway, enough rambling. keep on being pretty and tough and stuff, because that makes the female fighting world all the more interesting. 😛

Lil Katai
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2005 10:20 pm
    Pro Fighter

I dont ever wear any

coslisa
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Jan 25, 2005 1:48 am
    Pro Fighter

There’s a girl at my gym and she wears eye make all the time, every time she gets hit in the nose her eyes water and by the end of the night she has her make up smeared everywhere. I don’t understand why someone would purposely put make up on to train.

I kind of have the attitude that I don’t care how I look as long as I can see when I’m fighting, but then again I’ve never been a make up person anyway.

VooDooQueen
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jan 26, 2005 10:09 am

I think its cool that we kick ass, but are still girls..whether we wear makeup or not. Pretty good legacy to leave to our daughters, dont you think? Our mothers and grandmothers NEVER would have been allowed to do anything like what we are doing.

VooDoo

Executioner
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:33 am

I think thai shorts can look flattering on a woman, depends what type of woman. 8)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?