Ashley Sanchez vs Paula Meyers

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

Mark Grassman
    Post subject: Ashley Sanchez vs Paula Meyers Post Posted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:35 pm
    Fightergirls elite poster

The Hive Inc. presents MMA EVOLUTION VII, at the Bloomington Interstate Center in Bloomington, IL. This mostly amateur MMA card includes a womens’ pro MMA bout between Ashley Sanchez and Paula Meyers. This is an ISCF sanctioned event.

J
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:30 am

I think this fight is tonight…? 2/9/08

ShdwPrwler
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:22 am

This was just posted on the MySpace bulletin boards by Ashley.
    >>>
    Paula Meyer is a little Biaaattchhh!!!!

Now I never talk Shit, but here the hell it goes. Tell all your friends. My ‘fighter’ backed out!!!!! Can you believe it! AAAAhHHHHHH! I’m soooo pissed. First of all, weigh-ins were at 7oclock. I showed up at 6oclock. She showed up at 9oclock…..after I finally left. Then, she decided she didn’t want to fight me, because I looked too tough (from what everybody else told her). Ain’t that a bitch. If anybody ever sees her, tell her she’s a puss. And if she EVER fights again, it better be with me as her opponent.
    Fight Loca
    <<<

Sako
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:31 am

ShdwPrwler wrote:
    >>>

Now I never talk Shit, but here the hell it goes. Tell all your friends. My ‘fighter’ backed out!!!!! Can you believe it! AAAAhHHHHHH! I’m soooo pissed. First of all, weigh-ins were at 7oclock. I showed up at 6oclock. She showed up at 9oclock…..after I finally left. Then, she decided she didn’t want to fight me, because I looked too tough (from what everybody else told her). Ain’t that a bitch. If anybody ever sees her, tell her she’s a puss. And if she EVER fights again, it better be with me as her opponent.
    Fight Loca
    <<<
    A male fighter would get crucified for showing up at the weigh-in 2 hours late and saying he doesn’t want to fight the other guy because he looks “too tough”. There are too many girls backing out of fights, this is becoming a serious problem. One girl has been training seriously for weeks for a fight and the other girl hasn’t spend a day in the gym, either doesn’t make weight, or decides not to fight at the last minute. Girls that act like that should never booked for a fight again.

Josh Barnett
    Post subject: Not a new issuePostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:27 am
    Pro Fighter

Sadly, this is not a new problem.

The women’s scene has always been full of flaky, unreliable fighters that often back out at last second or even just refose to show up.

Its sad because there are less opportunities for women to fight yet I have always found they are the MOST difficult to get into the ring.

I take pride in that my fighters always show and are always on weight. If not, there’s hell to pay.

Josh

frankp316
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:39 am

Josh, do you think this problem would be alleviated if promoters simply looked closer at fighter credentials & qualifications?

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:24 am

lol…

wow basically lots of bizarre shit going on lately. there’s a huge dichotomy in female mma. on one side great things happening, growth, etc. but on the other tons of stupid unorganized bs and unprofessionalism. promoters (particularly on the women’s side) need to have backup fighters available for their cards. there are plenty of girls now it’s just that they (and the system for setting up fight cards) isn’t nearly as organized as it needs to be. that is one reason i at least wanted to get a decent ranking system into place…

as for this Ashley/Paula situation just sounds like more managerial crapola and really makes no sense. what the f does “looks too tough” mean? did Paula’s camp scout Ashley’s fighting ability at the weigh-in…was she sparring the scale? did they mean her physical look? looks mean about zero as an indicator unless they mean conditioning-wise. although subjective Ashley “looks” like a sweetheart compared to Paula by most standards and evidently Paula is pretty well seasoned built like a brick shithouse and trained by Rickson’s people so it sounds more like an excuse for some other reason…

J
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 5:32 am

Sounds strange. Paula had at least 3 Pro Wins last year, so it seems weird to back out b/c ‘somebody said Ashley looked tough’. ???

Mark Grassman
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 3:58 pm

If a fighter did indeed back out of an International Sport Combat Federation sanctioned card for such a bogus reason, expect fines and suspentions from the sanctioning body.

kaitlinrose
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:42 pm
    Pro Fighter

Wow. Showed up and backed out…unbelievable. Paula is from around here and is indeed ripped. Odd that she would be so intimidated by looks. Thats a long drive from the twin cities.

It’s sickening how often female fighters back out of fights at the last minute. If it is an injury, a death in the family or something of that nature its no big deal. If its because they are scared or didn’t train its rediculous. What trainer allows that kind of BS? I’m in agreement with Sako. A male fighter would absolutely be crucified if he made such an excuse. Perhaps that is the most difficult obsticle that Women’s MMA has to overcome: Trainers that enforce or condone a double standard for women in both their training and their conduct. 😡

Pankration_MuayThai
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:41 pm
    Pro Fighter

do you think that it’s just more noticable because it’s happening to the women? I mean, if a guy backs out, they often can get a last minute replacement without anyone noticing.

I guess I’ve been lucky enough to not have this happen to me too ofen, but then again, I think for atleast half of my fights i’ve been the last minute replacement for someone who had to cancel.

kaitlinrose
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:03 am
    Pro Fighter

I think you are probably right about that when it is a few weeks out. Usually they have an easier time finding a male replacement becasue there are more of them training.
    I guess I haven’t seen or heard of a guy showing up on fight night and then bailing. Ive heard of it happening twice in the last month with women.

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:09 pm

totally agree. there just as many (if not more) flaky guys and their management teams it’s just that there are still a lot more to serve as alternates so many backouts go unnoticed. and to me just as bad and flaky is taking a fight when there is a legit reason not to. just one quick example i had one of my other girls a top ranked boxer take a fight even tho having been seriously ill for 3 weeks right before a title fight which obviously not only affected the fight but her training leading up to the fight plus total obvious scam bs at the weigh-in and not just basic missing weight by .1 crap…

she did not want to backout because she had many family and friends already committed to travel/expense and felt pressured not to let the promoter down. sounds real noble and badass right? well long story short she ended up taking the fight and lost a close battle (in addition to taking illegal shots) which cost her the title. there so much shit that like this which goes on behind the scenes on both the men and women sides again, i just think a better system needs to be in place for promoters to have alternates and this is one of the issues we are working hard on improving for all female fighters…

Josh Barnett
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:21 pm
    Pro Fighter

From my experience its about the percentages. The womens MMA field is much flakier on a higher percentage. Much more so than the men. This is just how it is. I’d say that if you organize a 10 bout car expect to have trouble with 60% or so of the fighters on who they’ll fight, dissappearing, backing out. Then if you get a replacement expect 75% to fall through.

Jeff can tell you all about the issues he has had.

12 years I have been in this game and many of that working with womens MMA. It’s gotten a little better but its still a problem…except in Japan. In Japan there are scores of women fighters that would jump at the chance to fight the top fighters in the world even with little experience.

Pankration_MuayThai
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:21 pm
    Pro Fighter

wow, that’s too bad. i had no idea it was that bad. I guess that’s why I keep getting offered fights on almost no notice.

GFC

Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:07 pm

well i think those percentages make sense really. sanctioned mma has simply been geared much more for the guys…and, the number of male to female fighter ratio is still extremely male-dominated, as has been the pay. i agree that female fighting (in general) is still more flaky all forms and from amateur to pro sanctioned or non. promoters, managers, trainers, and fighters contact looking for an opponent and when they don’t get exactly what they want duck and hide and do various other nonsense. but then again also on the men’s side there’s an entire different dynamic of flakiness with Dana’s UFC/Pride crap and all the macho competitiveness between all the new emerging orgs…

up until about the last year or two women’s mma was virtually non-existent other than the handful here which Jeff was working with back then. lack of pay, exposure and depth of talent pool breeds very little incentive and more flakiness. i believe now that so many more girls are getting into it and better female fighters transitioning from other forms we will start seeing the higher pay, more incentive and less flakiness. how long it will take for that process to dramatically improve remains to be seen but i know it’s something being worked on which is a good thing, so we’ll see…

but again, this particular backout smells more like a phuket fish market…

Sako
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:42 pm

I think when female “fighters” act unprofessional and irresponsibly, it gives female mma critics more fuel for the fire. Remember Dana White saying that “their poster girl can’t even make weight for most of her fights”?

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:44 am

lol…

“female mma critics” are smile idiots and mean about zero to the equation…it’s too late. Dana tops the list and is just pissed that he blew it and knows it but his ego won’t let him admit it. the girl “who can’t make weight” is still the most popular and as much (or more) drawing power than many of his top male fighters, so too bad. 😉 his anti-female quotes have gotten him reamed and are further damaging his reputation and ruining the UFC brand…

he’s already lost Randy, Tito, dissed and couldn’t sign Fedor or Josh, and will continue losing more top fighters who imo will get tired of his a-hole treatment and start moving on to the new larger emerging leagues like Calvin’s Bodog, Showtime, M-1, WEC, Zuffa, Mark Cuban and others who are worth 100’s of times more than Dana White. he’s now resigned to signing former WWE wrestlers is becoming more of a joke daily and is *far* from the only game in town anymore…

Mark Grassman
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:02 pm

ShdwPrwler wrote:
    >>>

Fight Loca
    <<<
    Here is what the IKF news page says:

Both parties agreed to cancel fight due to misunderstanding on a catch weight at 130 lbs.

Sako
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:05 pm

GFC wrote:
    lol…

“female mma critics” are smile idiots and mean about zero to the equation…it’s too late. Dana tops the list and is just pissed that he blew it and knows it but his ego won’t let him admit it. the girl “who can’t make weight” is still the most popular and as much (or more) drawing power than many of his top male fighters, so too bad. 😉 his anti-female quotes have gotten him reamed and are further damaging his reputation and ruining the UFC brand…

he’s already lost Randy, Tito, dissed and couldn’t sign Fedor or Josh, and will continue losing more top fighters who imo will get tired of his a-hole treatment and start moving on to the new larger emerging leagues like Calvin’s Bodog, Showtime, M-1, WEC, Zuffa, Mark Cuban and others who are worth 100’s of times more than Dana White. he’s now resigned to signing former WWE wrestlers is becoming more of a joke daily and is *far* from the only game in town anymore…
    1) Bodog is just loosing money and a lot of their fighters are jumping ship.

2) Zuffa is the parent company of the UFC, not a separate promotion

3) WEC is also owned by Zuffa, and is for the most part a minor league to
    UFC. Although Zuffa says they’re trying to make as big as the UFC.

4) M-1 just has Fedor.

5) Showtime/Elite XC has some potential to be a competitor, but it won’t be putting UFC out of business anytime in the near future.

6) Dana talks shit about his competitors and their products because that’s what businessmen do. Will the President of CoCo Cola say Pepsi tastes good? He’s probably dissing female mma mainly because it is a product of his competitors. I heard he used to manage a female boxer back in the day.

7) The UFC is not going to die because they lost some stars. They have plenty of talent and potential future stars to keep the boat floating for a very long time. The NBA is not gonna go under because Kobe Bryant left to play for the Italian basketball league.

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 4:19 pm

right i realize all that, my points were not directed at the UFC just Dana. and i’m not saying the UFC is going to die just that there are *many* new orgs and players coming into MMA now which will provide more options and will create and attract new top fighters. the UFC at one point already was close to going under, Bodog has plenty of $ and could easily bounce back even higher that remains to be seen. Trump lost billions then came back…that’s just how it goes in big business. and yes it is always possible when dealing with large $ decisions and a-holes like Dana all it takes is a couple big law suits, etc. to take them out or greatly diminish them overnight and Dana is exactly the type to put them there…

but regardless there’s no excuse for the smile comments Dana has made along with treating other male fighters badly. Dana is not the UFC he’s a mouthpiece for the UFC and a lousy one who makes irresponsible decisions and is a constant risk to diminishing the name and reputation of the UFC…and, as those other options continue to grow and multiply the UFC will no longer be the individual dominant force in the sport it once was and Dana’s bs is only accelerating that process…

and again, i would not really go by these NBA, NFL, or MLB analogies…those are pro team sports leagues with strong players unions who really have no other legit growing competition…closer analogy might be boxing organizations such as the IBF, WBC, WBA, NABF, etc…but, even that’s not truly accurate. MMA has really become it’s own different kind of animal and is easily now the fastest growing sport both for men and women…

J
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:35 am

edited — I was confused a minute, sorry — but I’m okay now!

Anyway, looks like Ashley got a fight after all?

From Sherdog:

Combat – USA in Greenbay, WI
    2/22/08
    Jessica Bednark wins bout vs. Ashley Sanchez
    TKO Rd 1 2:20

Write up & picture here:

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?