Awarding belts

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

EricaB
    Post subject: Awarding belts PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 5:54 pm

I was discussing with some bjj people last night about the most appropriate way of getting a belt.

My instructor just gave me my blue belt, I wasn’t expecting it and didn’t have to do a grading for it. Some others had been graded and had to show their instructor they knew a certain number of throws, passes, submissions, etc. that was required for that belt.

What’s the general consesus on how a belt should be awarded? We were talking about bjj, but I guess it’s applicable to other styles as well.

I personally prefer the instructor deciding when you’re ready. One guy said he got the purple belt syllabus a few days before his grading and quickly learnt a lot of new throws and submissions so that he could pass. Shouldn’t someone who is ready for a particular belt already have a prior knowledge of the techniques required for that belt, rather than have to quickly cram for a test?

littlechicken
    Post subject: For my last belt-brownPostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 11:04 am

I was up at 1am and at school at 2am .It was long and hard . I came home at 10:00 pm . My test was on so many things ….like endurance ,skill,mind over matter type of things .It felt like boot camp ,but it was a great feeling earning it the way I did .All the hard work was only to make me better .I cant waite to see what my black belt test will be like ……………….. 😕 😯

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 12:23 pm
    Instructor

littlechicken, what do you train in?

CTD
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 3:03 pm

At my BJJ club we do have official “tests” but you aren’t told you are testing unless our instructor has already judged you ready to pass. The test is a formality and is more an exercise in endurance and so he can see how you roll when you are really tired.

I used to attend a TMA place where the guy would throw the belts out like chiclets if he thought people were getting bored.

I just wish people wouldn’t care so much about belts…the students about getting them and the instructors about weilding power over them. 🙁

XcashXmoneyX
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2005 4:34 pm
    Pro Fighter

jorge doesnt test. he gives belts to people when he feels theyre ready, and if he likes you that tends to be longer because he expects more of certain people.
    he tends to give belts, though, after consistantly performing well in competitions. he doesnt want to give you a blue belt if he doesnt think you can compete and win in a blue belt division.
    so, its entirely at his discretion…

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?