Back from WAKO! (with videos!)

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

Ashly
    Post subject: Back from WAKO! (with videos!) Pos tPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:39 am

http://www.fightergirls.com

Just got back from the WAKO US Open kickboxing tournament late last night and man am I sore today…

(Go to the bottom of the page for videos if you’d like to watch them before reading my recaps)

I’m very happy to say that I won the lightweight (60kg) Full Contact devision after battling it out in International/Low kick bout with Jennifer Han.

Unfortunately I got my ass kicked by Jennifer Han. She was too quick and too experienced for me at this point, but I stuck it out with her and I’m proud to say that I made her work for her win. With her 45-4 record I definitely had my work cut out for me, and according to what everyone had told me she pretty much always just completely destroys her opponents. Her last opponent was 8 counted five times in their match. I was 8 counted twice, but both times were just from me losing balance (I have a problem with bringing my feet together sometimes).

One thing I can say after this is that I’ve just fought definitely one of the toughest girls I will ever fight and I stuck it out there with her.

My second fight was against Vanessa Wood. This match was a preliminary bout so it was only two rounds. I felt pretty strong and confident going into this match so the first round I really went for it and 8 counted my opponent twice in the first round.

One of my problems though, which I feel I run into in ALL my fights (including all the ones at this tournament) was that after I got a little tired I started to lose focus. I didn’t concentrate enough on working hard to make a convincing win so I started to slip up a bit. I still took the victory, but I think I could’ve worked much harder to make it look a lot more decisive.

My last fight was against Erica Deleon. This girl basically tried to do to me what I did with Vanessa. She came at me full bore throwing left right over and over. This fight was pretty early in the morning and I felt pretty sleepy going into the match so it took me a while to really get things started. I think in the latter half of the round, though, I started to work my range better and utilized my jab which had good effect on a shorter opponent. The end of the first round and most of the second round looked good for me, though again I started to lose focus in the third round and the fight was again much closer than it should’ve been I think.

So, things that I’d like to improve on for my next fight:

-learn to focus better and concentrate on the fight, even when I’m getting a bit tired

-improve my cardio obviously (my cardio wasn’t bad, but could be a lot better)

– keep my left hand from dropping so much unintentionally or learn to cover with my shoulder better

-keep my head moving more instead of slipping to one side and leaving my head there

-utilize my rear leg kicks a LOT more. I have a really strong rear leg kick when I really use it, but during all of my fights I have a hard time making myself commit to it.

Videos (I may possibly have the order wrong but this should be right)

Me vs Jennifer Han (Low Kick):

Me vs Vanessa Wood (Full Contact):

Me vs Erica Deleon (Full Contact):

Any comments or critiques feel free to post them 🙂

thomas
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:48 pm

“File has reached the download limit of 20 downloads.”

That’s what i got from this file sharing service. But thx anyway. 🙄

Ashly
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:09 pm

thomas wrote:
    “File has reached the download limit of 20 downloads.”

That’s what i got from this file sharing service. But thx anyway. 🙄
    uploaded the videos on youtube, they should be up shortly

Ashly
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:48 pm

Ok, finally some new links to the videos

Me vs Vanessa Wood: 1

Me vs Erica Deleon:

Me vs Jennifer Han:

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:38 pm
    Instructor

Congratulations!

Ashly
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:19 am

Rikki wrote:
    Congratulations!
    thanks 🙂

voly
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:15 pm

In her fight against Jennifer Han it looked as if Ashly was dominated though not at all intimidated. Jennifer seemed to have quick firsts and connected with a number of crisp combinations – and kicks – but Ashly never appeared to want to quit….Competitive attitude.

Ashly’s technique, I thought, looked appreciably better than that of her two other opponents. The accurate and punishing left jabs she delivered to the face of one opponent were too numerous to count.

Though the officials possibly viewed it a little differently, I thought Ashley won every round against Erica and Vanessa.

Increased stamina is always a worthwhile goal. However, while watching it did not occur to me that Ashly looked particularly fatigued in the later portions of her contests. Probably Ashly’s opponents (Erica and Vanessa anyway) felt at least as tired as she did.

Certainly, Ashley ought to feel pleased by her performance.

Ashly
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:31 pm

Thanks for the encouraging comments, voly 🙂

Although I got my ass handed to me by Jennifer Han, my main goal during my fight with her was just to try my best and she her I was there to fight. I think I achieved that for the most part so I’m happy. I spoke to her afterwards and said maybe in a year or so I’d like to do a rematch and see if I can give her a better fight 🙂
    Oh, and I’d also like to thank Mark, Terrie, and all the people from Gruebel’s MMA in Augusta, GA that went to the WAKO event with us for cornering for us and all their support. They’re a great group and I really appreciated it.

The Gruebel team also did well. Terrie dominated her opponent, ending the fight in the first round I believe and the three junior fighters all took home victories in their devisions.

thomas
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 1:54 pm

Quote:
    Ok, finally some new links to the videos

Me vs Vanessa Wood:

Me vs Erica Deleon:

Me vs Jennifer Han:

Thank you very much 😉

FightingFury44
    Post subject: repost itPostPosted: Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:29 pm

Hey every one. If you download the videos that I or others upload and save them to your computer.

Please be kind and do a repost of the videos for every one else. Lets share the footage so every one can see. There are plenty of free file upload and sharing sites.

Lets keep the Womans mma and stand up videos going.

Thaks for all your help and contrabutations every one. 😉

For any one who has videos please be sure to add them to the Fighter Girls Video Thread I have started. Thanks again.

voly
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:21 pm

Would appreciate answers to a few (naive?) questions occasioned by Ashly’s kickboxing videos.

Is the use of protective headgear always mandatory in kickboxing
    nowadays?

What size (weight) gloves are normally used in kickboxing contests?

The Wako tournament that Ashly was victorious in was described as a
    “low kick” competition. What is different or unique about a low kick
    contest?

Do fractured toes ever occur?

Ashly
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:43 pm

voly wrote:
    Would appreciate answers to a few (naive?) questions occasioned by Ashly’s kickboxing videos.

Is the use of protective headgear always mandatory in kickboxing
    nowadays?

What size (weight) gloves are normally used in kickboxing contests?

The Wako tournament that Ashly was victorious in was described as a
    “low kick” competition. What is different or unique about a low kick
    contest?

Do fractured toes ever occur?
    I believe WAKO requires all amateur kickboxers to wear the standard head gear, shin guards, etc. while pros only wear the gloves and mouth guard (footguards for FCR and lowkick competitors aswell).

For my weight, 10oz gloves are used. Not sure if heavier gloves were used for the heavier weights.

I competed in the FCR and lowkick devisions. FCR is basically american style kickboxing rules, whereas low kick has the addition of kicks to the legs to the ruleset.

Fractured toes occur from time to time. I think the footguards that FCR and Lowkick competitors help to prevent that, though. Muay thai rules, no footgear is worn.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?