Big night of womens pro boxing coming up

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

hanoverfist
    Post subject: Big night of womens pro boxing coming up,big names get it on Post Posted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 7:49 am

I’m excited about this fight card! For any of you who have been following womens boxing you’re not going to want to miss this one. Holly Holm is fighting Mary Jo Sanders for the IFBA junior middleweight belt, Chevelle Hallback is taking on Jeaninne Garside for an IFBA title as well. This fight card is stacked with talent including Carina Mereno, Wendy Rodriguez, Holly Dunaway, and the undersung Eileen Olzewski who just beat Elena Ried recently. A lot of big names putting it all on the line. It will be available on pay per view live on June 13th. Check out the link for more info on the fighters and event.

wow…I should be a promoter 😀

oslooskar
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 6:50 pm
    Fightergirls elite poster

No offense, hanoverfist, but I just checked out the ring-records of Mary Jo Sanders’s last three opponents and I must say they are, at the very least, questionable if not unimpressive. Veronica Rucker, for example, only managed to win 5 of her 14 fights while Valerie Mahfood, with a record of 19 wins/ 14 losses/ 3 draws, has lost almost as many fights as she has won. Then take poor Gina Nicholas; she was just about two months shy of her 44th birthday when she stepped into the ring for the first time in more than five years (Since being TKO’D by Ann Wolfe) to do battle with Sanders.

As for Holly Holm, I can only opinion that she should have known better! Her last two opponents were Belinda Laracuente (23 wins/22 losses/3 draws) and Miriam Brakache (5 wins/6 losses/0 draws) 🙁

Sako
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:14 pm

oslooskar wrote:
    No offense, hanoverfist, but I just checked out the ring-records of Mary Jo Sanders’s last three opponents and I must say they are, at the very least, questionable if not unimpressive. Veronica Rucker, for example, only managed to win 5 of her 14 fights while Valerie Mahfood, with a record of 19 wins/ 14 losses/ 3 draws, has lost almost as many fights as she has won. Then take poor Gina Nicholas; she was just about two months shy of her 44th birthday when she stepped into the ring for the first time in more than five years (Since being TKO’D by Ann Wolfe) to do battle with Sanders.

As for Holly Holm, I can only opinion that she should have known better! Her last two opponents were Belinda Laracuente (23 wins/22 losses/3 draws) and Miriam Brakache (5 wins/6 losses/0 draws) 🙁
    That’s how women’s boxing, what do you expect?

oslooskar
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:08 pm

Sako wrote:
    That’s how women’s boxing, what do you expect?
    I expect that neither Holm nor Sanders will be seeing any of my hard earned dinero in the near future. 😆

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:31 am

you must be kidding. cannot always go by records as that doesn’t necessarily mean much. a given fighter could easily start out with some losses get with a new trainer make a few adjustments and become a top champion…or, various other scenarios. Belinda for example is an *excellent* fighter most of her losses were very close or robberies, saw the fight with Holly which was one of her toughest and competitive bouts. Belinda rocked her and had Holly not racked up points early could have easily lost as Belinda finished stronger…

keep in mind tune-up fights against tough “journeywomen” are normal in order to keep active between top fights such as Sanders/Holm will be. this card is possibly the most stacked in female boxing ever…

Sako
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:36 am

In boxing, if the fight goes to a decision, then it is a popularity contest, it doesn’t matter who was beating who.

oslooskar
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:03 pm

GFC wrote:
    you must be kidding.
    Not in the least.

GFC wrote:
    cannot always go by records as that doesn’t necessarily mean much.
    Records can be very revealing if you know how to read them properly. That means that you don’t just look at the numbers but at the quality and experience level of a particular fighters opponents.

GFC wrote:
    a given fighter could easily start out with some losses get with a new trainer make a few adjustments and become a top champion.
    That may very well be true but the reverse isn’t; at least not as a general rule.

GFC wrote:
    keep in mind tune-up fights against tough “journeywomen” are normal in order to keep active between top fights such as Sanders/Holm will be.
    Okay, so how much of a tune-up could the ageing Nicholas, who had not fought in five years, possibly have given Sanders?

GFC wrote:
    Belinda for example is an *excellent* fighter most of her losses were very close or robberies
    In my opinion

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:02 pm

well point for point I understand where you’re coming from. the fight game in general (not only boxing but all forms either sanctioned or non male or female) has plenty of shady areas. in close fights decisions can and do go to more “popular” or the hometown favorite many times… *cough*ReginaHalmichinGermany*cough*… fights get stopped prematurely, trainers, managers, promoters and commissions knowing judges and getting preference towards particular fighters. it’s an unfortunate reality we are actually working on which will hopefully help to protect all female fighters from these sorts of issues…however, there are still quality fights which take place amidst all the politics and corruption…

in Belinda’s case she has a ton of experience higher opponent rating than Holly and wins over fighters the caliber of Saccurato and Del Valle therefore def had the goods to be in there with her imo and it was a damn competitive fight…

now on the other hand with Nicholas I tend to agree more that after a 5 year layoff coming right back to a primed Mary Jo is not a wise move, but she is experienced tuff built like a tank and with an outside punchers chance, passed her medicals, and made her choice. any fight like that in front of a crowd with the pre-fight process all have tune-up elements….albeit Nicholas not being the best choice but often there’s not a lot of other options since the depth at that level is still pretty shallow…

nevertheless, this card has about the best matchups and talent lined-up in the history of female boxing depending on who the other opponents end up being…

oslooskar
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:13 pm

GFC wrote:
    she is experienced tuff built like a tank and with an outside punchers chance, passed her medicals, and made her choice.
    That doesn’t detract from the cold hard fact that she was almost 44 years old, hadn’t fought in 5 years, and was 14 years past her prime.

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:40 am

true, those are facts, but it’s also a fact she’s an adult who was making an informed choice. George Foreman came back after 10 years fought into his mid-40’s and was very successful. Roberto Duran into his 50’s. Randy Couture has arguably gotten better with age. I think it really depends on the individual. but, just because we may not be happy about certain aspects doesn’t mean you throw the baby out with the bath water. there are more injuries in skateboarding than combat sports combined but does that mean kids should not be allowed on them, or Tony Hawk who’s 40 banned from getting on one because he’s too old? Sanders/Holm now and this card has nothing to do with other issues. if you’re on some personal boycott over it that is your own deal and choice…

oslooskar
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:36 pm

GFC wrote:
    but it’s also a fact she’s an adult who was making an informed choice.
    And your point is?
    GFC wrote:
    George Foreman came back after 10 years fought into his mid-40’s and was very successful. Roberto Duran into his 50’s.
    Yes, and for every George Foreman and Roberto Duran there must be hundreds of old veterans of the ring who failed miserably in their attempted comebacks.

GFC wrote:
    there are more injuries in skateboarding than combat sports combined but does that mean kids should not be allowed on them
    Ill leave that decision up to their parents.

GFC wrote:
    if you’re on some personal boycott over it that is your own deal and choice…
    I never thought otherwise.

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:55 pm

ok, so then it all comes down to a world full of choices, fair enough… 😉

oslooskar
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:57 pm

GFC wrote:
    ok, so then it all comes down to a world full of choices
    BINGO!

hanoverfist
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:43 am

womens boxing has matured greatly over the years but it is still plagued by the same problem that is now emerging in womens mma. The talent pool is deep, new stars are rising from the amateurs, womens bouts are starting to get more media coverage as well as promotions…but the money women get for fights is anemic. The big names, the elites, want to be PAID for being the main attraction. They’ve put their time in, they’ve bled for this sport so alot of the big names are holding out for more money and thus alot of deals die on the table. So the fights that do get made are sadly journeyman fighters with losing records willing to accept a pittance to stay active. It’s a catch 22 and is not isolated to just womens boxing or mma. The politics of palm greasing is prominant in todays fight promotions and matchmaking. Somebody’s making money off these events or they wouldn’t keep being promoted but the fighters aren’t seeing it. So to me it is encouraging to finally see some big names come out and put it on the line. We as supporters of the sport can do just that…support these events when they happen so as to encourage more of these kind of match ups and the girls can finally get a payday.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?