This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

dl_angel
    Post subject: BruisesPostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 8:39 am

Is there any way to hide a black eye or bruises? Makeup that’ll cover it?

I’m guessing there are jobs that are less than happy about fighters coming in bruised. I’m probably going to be in a VERY bad profession to be walking around with bruises in… trying to figure out how I’m going to do MMA and my job.

The problem is that if I have a black eye and I don’t say anything, people might assume I’ve got a mean boyfriend/husband at home (probably a REALLY bad thing for them to think)… if I tell them what I do, then I am disclosing information about my personal life (highly frowned upon).

Has anyone else had problems with this?

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 10:40 am

Hmm…good topic.
    I think you’re right that people will assume things about your boyfriend.
    I saw that in a movie once….some girl had bruises because she was a pro fighter or a professional killer or something….and some lady goes up to her, looks at her bruises and says something like “Honey, You should leave him”. I wish I could remember the quote more accurately, or what movie it was. That was really funny. 🙂

ladygrappler
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 11:53 am

Hey dl! I can help you. I am in the public eye with my job so i have to cover bruises as well. Okay first things first..Ice it as soon sa you get home. Sounds silly i know i thought it was rediculus…but it take some of the color out . Next there is this cover up (im so sorry the name has slipped my mind) but its green. Sounds scary eh? Green concealer is the best for hiding dark circles and discolurations of that nature. Also at the end of the day (should it be a black eye) use regular tea bags in icy water and lay them on your eyes for 5 minuets while you relax…that as well takes out the puffyness and color. Hope i was of some help! take care of those Bruises!! 😀

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2004 6:13 pm

As Sandy pointed out in another thread…
    the movie I was thinking about was GI Jane.

That was a funny scene 🙂

WarriorHeartGrrl
    Post subject: BruisesPostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:31 pm

This is a great thread. Bruises are one of the peskiest things i’ve had to deal with as a fighter. Why is it that when a woman sports a decent bruise it’s always assumed she’s being beaten….Geez….

Anyways, ladygrappler’s tips were great. On top of the green tinted concealer, a good latex based foundation works great too. You’ll have to find this where they sell make-up for theater.

dl_angel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:54 am

Some of the other bruises probably wouldn’t make anyone think twice… I have lots of bruises other places and I’m not as worried about covering them up. But any facial bruising is probably pretty suspicious to other people- most of whom probably haven’t HAD a black eye or any facial bruising during their life. It’s a little bit more difficult to acquire THAT sort of bruise without being hit…

I interned at Child Protective Services (child welfare, removing kids from homes for abuse, all that good stuff) last year so I got to see how they figured out whether a parent’s story matched up with the bruises, etc.- black eyes, marks from fingers on the arms, spiral fractures, etc. are all pretty good marks that would symbolize abuse and be more difficult to “explain away.” Doctors give medical advice regarding whether bruises could occur the way the parents/caretakers report. Also, different colored bruises mean that they occured at different times… so if a story is that the kid fell on the playground, that wouldn’t fit if the kid has a real dark bruises and then some yellow bruises, etc. ANYWAYS- that’s probably where I’m going to be working when I graduate so I’m going to be around trained professionals at detecting abuse. 😕

In other words, many thanks for the advice. 😉

VooDooQueen
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2004 8:02 pm

OH boy….bruises that make ppl think you are a battered wife/girlfriend…hahaha. At least ppl are concerned. I have had to deal with that a few times myself. Oh well…but ice and tea bags are good suggestions. Cucumber slices are very good for swelling around the eyes…oh hell..just go get a facial. I had black eye last week…and was hobbling around on a broken foot from the tournament on July 31st…oh well. I am usually with my kids and they tell ppl ..no…mom kicks butt..you should come watch her fight..she beats up men. I just smile sweetly and go on about my business.

I think that if you search the web you may find concealer that works for bruises. You know make up artists have everything…certainly someone has some good stuff. I will browse around and see what I can find.
    take care,

VooDoo

dl_angel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 10:36 am

Facials help?? Never would have thought of it.

Joana
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 1:38 pm

Check out this site:

VooDooQueen
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 9:14 am

Facials might not do much for the black eye..but does it matter? lol Just spend the whole day at the spa…surely that would help something. 😉
    VooDooQueen

XcashXmoneyX
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:28 pm
    Pro Fighter

Hey ladies! I believe the green concealer is made by “Physicians Formula”, you can get green powder too. Most drugstores have it, so it shouldn’t be hard to find. It’s a little expensive, but it does neutralize uneven color.
    I’ve had hematomas on my shins, especially the right one, for a couple months now. It’s painful and stays swollen, but the bruises are starting to fade. Does anyone have a suggestion for that? I’ve tried pretty much everything…back to the doctor next week.

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:25 am
    Pro Fighter

Great thread! 🙂 Heh in highschool I used to get tons of bruises at Judo, and me and my other highschool friend who was in my class, tried to out do each other when it was summer and we were wearing shorts. 😆

VooDooQueen
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 10:07 am

I emailed the editor at http://www.makeupmag.com it is a makeup artist’s mag…figured they would know..right? Well..this is what she told me…

MAC, LORAC have concealor that is used in Hollywood to hide tattooes, bruises n the like..(stars apparently arent really pretty hehe). She said to check these sites as well since they also have long wearing makeup (they used this stuff at the olympics for the ceremonies. or something like that)

She mentioned Dermacolor, Coverblend by Neostrata, Amazing Concealor by Ben Nye.

I havent checked them, but they are the pros..and if they do hollywood..then they must be pretty decent.

She said a green concealor under your regular concealor would help hide bruises.
    Hope this helps!

VooDoo

bjjamazon
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:35 pm

I have an iron deficiency and bruise easily so I know what ya talk’n about. I have to wear suits and be very professional and cant afford to come to work like a battered gal. Here is what I do for my bruises…

Cold Compress: Lavendar concentrated oil (few drops), Ice, Aloe Juice
    Iron Supplement
    Arnica patch (After the cold compress)
    Make Up

I do the same 4 step approach and it goes away super quick. I have friends who also tell me it works on hickies too. lol

Joana
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 12:47 pm

XcashXmoneyX: I had the same prob with my shins. Since my mom’s a doc I’ve tried lots of gels and the best was Lioton 1000 gel, which helps with blood circulation.

BUT, I found some natural alternatives on the internet, pretty nice article.
    Check this out. 💡

bjjamazon
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 5:21 am

Kewl website.

sandy
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 12:12 pm

I get realy big ugly bruises on the top of my foot from kicking the bag. I hit it wrong somtimes and the nexy day I will have a huge green purple thing all over my foot! I have not had a pair of sandels on all summer. I hope I never have to worry about covering anything up on my face.

ThehoundofCulan
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 4:33 am

Are you meaning to kick with the top of your foot, or is it accidental? If you are kicking Thai style and hitting with the top of the foot, you’ve got more to worry about than bruises. Thai kicks are too powerful hit anything with the foot, especially a Thai bag. If you make contact with some significant force on the bag, there’s a good chance you might break your ankle. It does take a while to get used to hitting with the shin, especially if you’ve been corrupted by some earlier martial art. Bags are good to condition the shins eventually. The good thing about the shin is that it does get conditioned, your ankle will never get conditioned to the kind of force a misplaced kick will put on it. Just be careful what you’re doing out there or the only sandle you’ll be wearing is nice rainbow colored one they give you to wear over a cast.

Joana
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 10:15 am

sandy: what kind of MA do you train?
    If it’s kick-boxing maybe you should try to add low-kicks to your training?
    Sounds like you were kicking a stonebag, or having hemophilia.

Bruises can occur due to low coagulability of the blood or because of taking aspirin, which, as I think have nothing to do in this case.
    But, is it nessessary to kick that much with your feet during your training?

ThehoundofCulan
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 1:30 pm

I’m not sure, I don’t take any pills I don’t have to, but isn’t Aspirin a blood-thinner? I would think that it would make bruising disperse more quickly. I may be wrong, and please note if I am. If you are just starting, though, don’t let the bruises worry ya. Everyone gets them. The bruising either means you are doing something wrong or doing something right, depending on where you get them.
    Bruises on the shins is quite common. In some martial arts the same can be said for the forearms. I have noticed that between muay Thai and Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, my forearms bones get quite wrecked. They are so weak my arms shake sometimes. It’s just from holding the pads for knees and then giant bastards that can do nothing but try to kimura to tap you. It also occurs from holding on against armbars, which I’ve gotten quite good at rolling against said giants. Anyway, I’ve rambled once more. Don’t worry about bruises on the shins and stuff, just try to massage them if possible after class to keep the blood moving. The bruises will keep comin’ back though, eventually the pain will lessen.

VooDooQueen
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 8:03 pm

Napoxsyn is very good for bruises..but I wouldnt take anything either unless I really had to. Just ice a bruise down as soon as you can. If you are in something like I am in…then a snap kick is done with the top of the foot. Yeah, it hurts when you first start, but you get used to it. We do kicking drills all the time and I dont bruise my feet at all. You must have been hitting a bag of hardened cement? lol

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 9:04 pm

if you aren’t a little bruised, then you’re not doing it right
    🙂

That goes for fight training as well

😉

bjjamazon
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 6:38 am

Voodoo, that stuff is awesome!! I not only helps bruises, swellings, but its also great on cramps. I really hate to take any kind of pills other than my multivitamin, but that has helped me in the past with some other injuries.

VooDooQueen
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2004 11:14 am

Naproxsyn is the bomb…I got it from the army hospital for my foot…been training on it anyhow. It feels fine but still hurts a lil bit when I do a side blade kick. No pain ..no gain right? Now, if it would just help my side where I took a hit to my kidney last Thursday. We have a new student and he is um…a tad mentally challenged (for real…not being mean) He doesnt understand light contact when we just spar a bit between ourselves. He is a really good fighter though. Says he holds a few different belts in several forms, although, I couldnt tell you because I cant understand him too well. Great kid though, but dayum…that boy can hit. I told him …its all good…there is always next Thursday. hehe
    (Freezing cold mountain stream water is good for breaks too….My family and I went to 11 Mile Canyon and I stood in the water for about 2 hours…I was numb..but my foot seemed to have healed up from that since the day after I was able to walk without a limp.)

VooDoo

sandy
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 10:05 am

Thanks for the concern. Yes, I am hitting the bag wrong, and its a muay thai kick that I’m doing. I am having a very hard time doing this kick right, but it only happens with my lead leg, so that is the foot I’m always hurting. I kick the bag a lot and I srew up a lot. For some reson I have a hard time staying strong as I go up on the ball of my foot. So as I’m bringing my leg in to kick I fall away from the bag a littel and end up hitting the bag with my foot instead of my shin. And becuse I have been kicking the bag so much the foot always stays black and blue. And I’m doing mma a littel bit of everything all mixed together.

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 1:33 pm

it was described to me to think of the kick in this way…

first of all, your bodyweight goes forward when you kick, and across to the side (in the direction you are kicking), NOT backward. A lot of people make the mistake of leaning backward, like a tae kwon do kick.

This will help you kick further. If you lean back when doing a low kick, you won’t reach as far and you’ll probably land with your ankle or foot. (ouch) You need to penetrate deep in order to cut into their leg with the thick part of your shin bone. That is how you do damage. The forward momentum adds to the power. Leaning back takes away from it.

Also, imagine your front leg is like a screw that is being drilled into the ground. That visualization will help you keep your weight down and centered.

Also allow your hips to turn all of the way. Exagerate the hip movement it at first, just to make sure that you’re not locking your hips. A full turn of the hips will also cause your kicks to reach further. If you halt the rotation of your hips then your kick will land short.

Hope this isn’t too off topic. She got the bruise because of the kicking. 🙂

ThehoundofCulan
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2004 6:49 pm

Yeah, a lot of people have that problem with the swith kick. Make sure you are stepping in a bit (not directly in, angle in out in the same direction you are going to bring your leg towards and lean towards). Do everything exagerated and slow at first, always get the form down. Turn the hips all the way over, pivot the foot 180 degrees and everything. When you get it down, start working on speed and not telegraphic the technique. I usually don’t switch kick a lot unless I set it up with a few hand strikes, parrying a jab, or something similar to that. If you are doing it wrong, stop putting the power into it though. Never hit hard before you can hit right, it’s asking for injury.

Joana
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 12:37 pm

Thehoundofculan: yes, aspirin is a blood thinner
    it affects blood coagulation and causes bleeding

anything containing aspirin interferes with the stickiness of the blood
    platelets
    and I think that person taking aspirin is prone to bleeding

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?