Calling all Martial Arts or Wrestling Club Owners

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

mma
    Post subject: Calling all Martial Arts or Wrestling Club Owners PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2005 10:34 pm

I just got told to screw off by a coach of a top level wrestling club. Here’s the email correspondence (names have been censored):

———————————————
    —– Original Message —–
    To: B_____@comcast.net
    Sent: Monday, August 15, 2005 3:01 AM
    Subject: ******** Wrestling Club

Hi,

I am an 18 year old brazilian Jiu jitsu/Judo student and do submission grappling at World Shooto Champion Erik Paulson’s “Elite Combat Athletics” gym. I am looking for a gym that is nearby and can give me lots of live wrestling experience. I’m interested in working hard and training to win. I heard about your gym through USA wrestling. I’m interested in coming down to one of your practices. Any information you can give me pertaining to times and prices would be most appreciated. Thanks alot and hope to hear from you soon.

N______

B_____ wrote:
    N_____,

The TANSTAAFL Wrestling Club is for elite high school and college wrestlers specializing in International freestyle and Greco-Roman. Athletes from other disciplines are a distraction.

Thank you for your inquiry.

Coach B______

—– Original Message —–
    To: B______
    Sent: Monday, August 15, 2005 3:58 PM
    Subject: Re: ****** Wrestling Club

Hi,

I wrestled on my high school team. What I meant was that I’m interested in learning Freestyle/Greco. I’m not sure what is concidered “elite” as far as High school wrestling goes, but I can say my scholastic wrestling skills are decent enough. I’m not interested in training in my current disciplins, I’m interested in learning a new one. I’m sorry if there was a miscommunication. Nevertheless, I am still interested in checking out your club. Thank you and I hope to hear from you soon.

N______

B_____ wrote:

N_____,

The rules of wrestling are written to protect the life and limb of the competitors. The rules of the emergining Marshall arts competition encourages inflecting body harm to your opponents. I have trouble coaching fighters that get a high off the inflection of potentially life threatening and or life long consequences.

I understand why competitors wish to take such risks but I do not want to contribute to it. I don’t want the warrior glamour distracting the wrestlers I coach from making a USA wresting team. Pinning is the ultimate achievement.

Coach B_____

——————————————

I emailed this club last year before I found out about their “no girls” polocy. I emailed them with an email adress that didn’t reveal my gender and I didn’t sign my name. I indicated in these emails that I did jiujitsu, here’s what he said the first time I emailed him:

———————————————

—– Original Message —–
    To: B______@comcast.net
    Sent: Friday, March 26, 2004 12:34 AM
    Subject: ******** wrestling

Hi

I’m a wrestler on my high school team. i found out about ******** wrestling through a search on the USA Wrestling web-site. I would like some more information about the club and possibly becoming involved. if you could please email me back, i’d very much appreciate it. Thank you.

To: <________ @yahoo.com>
    Subject: Re: ******** wrestling
    Date: Fri, 26 Mar 2004 08:19:46 -0800

Hi,

Attached is info you asked for. What school do you go to ? What year in school what weight? Come and watch us practice. We work had and are serious wrestlers.

Coach B________

—– Original Message —–
    To: B________
    Sent: Saturday, March 27, 2004 12:35 AM
    Subject: Re: ******* wrestling

Hi Coach B_____,

I wrestled 160 and 171. I’m not exactly what you would call a prodogy wrestler, but i’m willing to work as hard as is asked of me and i’ll do whatever it takes. I’ve been doing jiujitsu for a while and have some Judo experience that I can put to good use. Is there anything else i need to know before i sit in on a practice?

B_____ wrote:

Hi,

We have wrestlers your size. What school do you go to? What year in school are you? Where do you live?

I believe no one is a born wrestler. Wrestling is skill and conditioning each of which can be acquired. The most important attribute for a wrestler to have is attitude. The goals you set for yourself is a clue to your attitude. Several kids I coach have national chapionships as their goals. If you mean what you say about doing anything it takes, we can help you.

————————————————

This club showed up for a demonstration at a wrestling camp I went to last year and invited everyone to come out to check out their club or email them for times. I was warned by other wrestlers that this club was really against girls wrestling, but this club taught really high amp wrestling throws and suplex’s that I really want to learn, so I decided to take my chances and be persistant. “Elite High school wrestlers” yeah right. When they were doing a demo, one of the kids who wrestled at their club had epilepsy and had a seizure DURING THE DEMONSTRATION! I dunno, he might just really not want a submission grappler at his gym, or maybe its something else.

To anyone who runs a club or a gym or training group of any kind, what do you think of this coach’s attitude? Is he justified in turning away potential paying club members and even forbiding them from at least coming out and watching a practice? Is he justified in judging me the way he has? I specified that I wanted to wrestle, not do judo, wrestle, and he’s still turning me away. I don’t understand, usually at any Martial arts gym, you can just walk in for a first class and everyone will welcome you with open arms, but this is something else.

What do you guys think about this and maybe you could give me some advice? How would you react in my shoes? I’m just a little flabbergasted and confused.

tapoutuk
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 1:00 am

Hi MMA

In the UK the wrestling clubs are not allowed to turn women away. If they do they can be reported to the national governing body as it as against their constitution.

In the US I am sure that the rules are more stringent as wrestling is a higher profile sport than in the UK (where it is really a very minority sport). Contact your state or equivalent governing body and report that the guy refuses to coach you and see what they have to say.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 4:27 am
    Instructor

Quote:
    what do you think of this coach’s attitude?

I think it’s very sad. He is missing a lot of potential champions by not allowing people from other martial arts to train there.

Quote:
    Is he justified in turning away potential paying club members and even forbiding them from at least coming out

I’m not going to say that he is justified but when you run a business you are allowed to turn anyone away without giving a reason. Because he actually gave a reason you could possibly sue him for discrimination….if you want to go through all that hassle.

Quote:
    Is he justified in judging me the way he has?

Absolutely not. You shouldn’t let it get to you.

Quote:
    How would you react in my shoes?

Well, first I would post these emails on the Underground (www.mma.tv). Those guys will probably torment the gym owner for his attitude against martial artists. Then I would go find another wrestling gym. Check out the MMA and BJJ gyms in the area too….some of them have a class devoted to wrestling.

luvmachine
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2005 9:20 am

Folkstyle, without a doubt, crosses over to MMA 100x’s better. I mean back exposure is the goal. Just having someone’s back face the mat for a split second scores. Its stupid as far as training it for mma… i guess the people outside the US are out of luck.

Anystylist
    Post subject: Applicability of folk/freestyle wrestling to MMA/BJJPostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:12 am

Wrestling training has its pros and cons regarding MMA/BJJ utility.

On the plus side is the standing takedown work. Both folk and free are useful, although there’s probably more work done on the freestyle side because it’s a much larger source of scoring points. Greco-Roman, with its upper-body-throws-only rules, is also good here too–perhaps better if your standup style translates into a lot of clinching.

On the minus side is the matwork. While there’s definitely some technique crossover (along with the general applicability of mat awareness), the whole goal of wrestling matwork is to get opponents on their backs, while in BJJ, the best position is to “have the opponents’ backs”, i.e., get behind them so they’re front-down. It’s a whole different ballgame, and I still have to focus on not reverting to wrestling-brain in scrambles.

MMA, I bet you can find another club. BTW, we’re both about the same weight… 😉

mma
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:48 pm

Yeah, my sensei’s really don’t like me wrestling. They’d rather I do judo because whenever I get tired and start running on auto pilot, I revert back to wrestling and sometimes even give up my back.

One thing I like about wrestling as opposed to martial arts though is that there’s alot of room to improvise. All you have to do is put the other guy on his back, it doesn’t matter how you do it as long as you do it. So if you have some crazy insane unorthodoxed way of turning a guy, who cares as long as it works. With MA, there’s a certain way to do everything, and if you deviate from this even a little, you’re doing it wrong and you might not get the submission.

I found a few other clubs in the area that welcome females to participate, but it sucks because this club that turned me away supposedly produces National champions. They’re supposed to be a really hardcore gym and they boast that they can make a league champ out of anyone. I was really looking forward to training there. I hate it that some people are A-holes.

I might start training at the Gracie academy in Torrance though, so maybe I wouldn’t have had time to go to that club anyway.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?