calls to ban ‘cage fighting’ in Britain

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

fightgirl
    Post subject: calls to ban ‘cage fighting’ in Britain Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 4:59 am

article taken from a national news paper;

Docs call for cage fight ban
    By Emily Cook 05/09/2007
    Doctors yesterday demanded a ban on extreme mixed martial arts events such as cage fighting.

The British Medical Association said the increasingly-popular combat sport was savage.

And it warned the no-holds-barred contests – in which fighters kick and punch each other inside cages – could cause severe brain injuries.

Dr Vivienne Nathanson said: “It can be extremely brutal. This kind of competition hardly constitutes a sport – the days of gladiator fights are over.

“As doctors we cannot stand by while violent fighting tournaments are allowed to take place.

“And as a civilised society we should be campaigning to outlaw it.”

Thousands of spectators including sport and pop stars watched an ultimate fighting championship in Manchester in April.

Another contest will take place at the O2 Arena in South East London on Saturday. The BMA has campaigned for boxing to be banned since 1982.

😡

GFC
    Post subject: Re: calls to ban ‘cage fighting’ in BritainPostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:19 am
    Fightergirls elite poster

this is hogwash. facts are even boxing has proven far more dangerous as are other sports such as football which statistically has more injuries. they would have to also ban boxing, muay thai, etc. which would never happen and even if it did would just go back underground or to other countries that will never ban it…mma is growing *way* too popular now so it is here to stay. fighting sports will always have its detractors…funny how it’s usually those who have never fought and have about zero knowledge of fighting who are the detractors, they are not qualified to speak about it other than stating it is not their preference…which, is fine but then the answer is very simple, don’t watch it . this doc should join a dojo and learn what mixed martial arts really is and some conditioning would do her good. from that double chin she looks to be at least 50 lbs overweight (link below) which is also worse for your health. what kind of example is she setting as a heathcare practitioner, she’s a joke. 😆 …and, should be more concerned about raising her own blood pressure over things she has no business commenting on…

fightgirl wrote:
    article taken from a national news paper;

Docs call for cage fight ban
    By Emily Cook 05/09/2007
    Doctors yesterday demanded a ban on extreme mixed martial arts events such as cage fighting.

The British Medical Association said the increasingly-popular combat sport was savage.

And it warned the no-holds-barred contests – in which fighters kick and punch each other inside cages – could cause severe brain injuries.

Dr Vivienne Nathanson said: “It can be extremely brutal. This kind of competition hardly constitutes a sport – the days of gladiator fights are over.

“As doctors we cannot stand by while violent fighting tournaments are allowed to take place.

“And as a civilised society we should be campaigning to outlaw it.”

Thousands of spectators including sport and pop stars watched an ultimate fighting championship in Manchester in April.

Another contest will take place at the O2 Arena in South East London on Saturday. The BMA has campaigned for boxing to be banned since 1982.

😡
    Last edited by GFC on Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

fightgirl
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:45 am

“facts are even boxing has proven far more dangerous as are other sports such as football which statistically has more injuries.”

I agree totally (take rugby for eg, a firm British favourite), but tht news is big over here at the minute (unfortunately)

😥

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:06 am

well c’mon uk mma community, rugby was another great example must be tons more injury stats there as well and hardly see any chance of rugby being banned in the uk. lol need to rally together speak up and squelch these preposterous accusations with some of those points we just outlined. there are plenty of medically qualified individuals involved in uk mma who can counter these false claims and with tons of statistics to back it up…it is in their best interest, don’t want to be the only country not involved in sanctioned mma anymore no matter how small the chance of it actually happening….
    fightgirl wrote:
    “facts are even boxing has proven far more dangerous as are other sports such as football which statistically has more injuries.”

I agree totally (take rugby for eg, a firm British favourite), but tht news is big over here at the minute (unfortunately)

😥

Rosi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:03 pm
    Pro Fighter

This old chestnut pops up with predictable regularity. The BMA doesn’t even speak for all doctors. They’re basically just a trade union. Every so often they feel the need to make some noise about something so that the public know they exist. They’ve been whining about boxing for eons, with no result whatsoever.

You can argue the case until you’re blue in the teeth, but they’re never going to turn round and say “oh, hang on a minute, in that case you must be right, our mistake”.

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 1:37 pm

ahhh…good to hear then. so they are basically just relieving themselves into the proverbial wind. still think the ol’ doc there could use a free guillotine demo. j/p i’m a nice bad grrl… 😛
    Rosi wrote:
    This old chestnut pops up with predictable regularity. The BMA doesn’t even speak for all doctors. They’re basically just a trade union. Every so often they feel the need to make some noise about something so that the public know they exist. They’ve been whining about boxing for eons, with no result whatsoever.

You can argue the case until you’re blue in the teeth, but they’re never going to turn round and say “oh, hang on a minute, in that case you must be right, our mistake”.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:25 am
    Instructor

I doubt it’s anything to worry about since, as the article states, they’ve been trying to ban boxing for 25 years now.

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:36 am

yeah didn’t think so either, but always worth keeping tabs on…never know when an ember could catch fire especially when it comes to the media.

Rikki wrote:
    I doubt it’s anything to worry about since, as the article states, they’ve been trying to ban boxing for 25 years now.

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:04 am

nice counter-article here, as i despise the hypocrisy regarding detractors of all forms of combat and why i am very outspoken about the issue…

Josh Barnett
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:10 pm
    Pro Fighter

Don’t worry…”Dr. Doom” will set ’em straight. Rosi will whip a theoretical equation showing their ignorance is equal or greater than there actual knowledge in relation to how narrow their fields are and how long they have been doctors.

Ain’t that right Rosi?

Josh

koolpaw
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 3:17 pm

Combat Sports, Martial Arts as a competition or a Game, always have been faced to those social and medical arguments in any countries, any cultures. You mey remember those early UFC. Even in Japan, (we have been familiar with martial arts ) we thought ” OMG its too brutal!! ” to have seen UFC1 and UFC2. Kyokushin-Karate, the first full contact style karate also got criticized in their early days. Kick Boxing which was based on Muay Thai too. In the history, even Judo was critisized for their new training method ” Ran-dori”, u may be surprised to hear it,but its true.

Vancouver , Canada has just banned MMA few days ago.

Yeppo, that city bodogFIGHT has filmed their latest season 6. 🙄
    But the local paper the Vancouver sun, which has published about Tara LaRosa`s story, are going to support MMA as a sport. its a good sign.

I remember, they tried to ban MMA(or called FreeFight) several times in Holland too, but the boss of Rings-Holland has been working hard to hold MMA events assosiating with Judo masters and Kick-boxing organizations. Cheick Kongo who won against CroCop has fought in those events in holland b4 UFC.

Talking about UK, i feel some kind of irony coz modern Boxing was born in UK, Catch-as-catch-can wrestling, which had thousands of dangerous submission holds and became the origin of current Olympic Freestyle wrstling, college style wrestling in U.S. , is called “Lancashire Wresling” has been respected among Japanese pro-wrestling and Martial Arts fans for long time.

I also have heard and read news about the long time cobflict between BMA and Boxing like Rosi mentioned through the newspapers, magazines, and the Net. they may succeed about MMA, may not. Whichever, in a long term, MMA will be accepted in their society gradually like other countries.

For example, i found new cometition of FILA called Pangration Athlima(Pankration Athlima) during reading the web pages about the World grappling tournament in turky. Seems its not well regulated nor organized yet, but has potential possibilities to be a common and safety sports as long as FILA keeps back up it.

Anyways, the future of this sport is in our hands, NOT in BMA members` who dont know about sports and history. Female MMA will face to harder resistance in any cultures, societies like Female Boxing have faced. But belive me, u pro-fighters here can break the wall. U already have taken me back to watch this sports seriously again.

God bless you all,(and Buddha will too) 😮

Rosi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:55 pm
    Pro Fighter

lol @ Josh 😆

I think the notion that female MMA has a harder time being accepted by the public than male MMA is a myth. It is the associations with “real world” violence that bother a lot of people, and I think having women involved weakens that link and helps to show that it is a legitimate sport, rather than a bunch of violent thugs just beating the crap out of each other.

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:29 am

not sure i agree completely, martial arts are based on “real world” street application and self-defense. and i believe it is also very important for women to be able to defend themselves outside of the ring as well. one of my specific goals is transitioning more girls from the street to the ring as that’s where many of the best fighters came from and tested themselves, the gracies, marco “king of the streets” ruas, bas rutten, bruce lee, and countless others.

in the same respect i also do not believe boxing’s criticisms over the years have been based on street violence, it’s the entire notion of “combat” as a whole and in *any* form which gets a bad rap by it’s detractors. in fact, many even feeling that the fighting for prize $ and sport even more distasteful than natural street defense and combat situations…much like smile or pitbull fights Vs animals fighting for natural reasons, food, territory, protecting their pride or packs, etc.

however, the whole issue is misguided and hypocritical. these same detractors against combat continue to rally meanwhile 1000’s of kids
    each day can fly 10 ft off the lip of concrete pools landing on their necks severely breaking arms, etc yet we see no major BMA type orgs up-in-arms trying to ban all of those types of sports and activities, at least not to the same level.
    Rosi wrote:
    lol @ Josh 😆

I think the notion that female MMA has a harder time being accepted by the public than male MMA is a myth. It is the associations with “real world” violence that bother a lot of people, and I think having women involved weakens that link and helps to show that it is a legitimate sport, rather than a bunch of violent thugs just beating the crap out of each other.
    Last edited by GFC on Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:12 am, edited 3 times in total.

fightgirl
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:37 am

I wasnt aware that ‘cages fighting’ is already banned in some American states ❗ (something i’ve just read)

anyway nothing new yet, but i’ve found these :

Wales ,

and Australia ,
    (cant get link 2 work on last 1 sorry u will av2 copy/paste) 😕

koolpaw
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 8:02 am

GFC wrote:
    not sure i agree completely, martial arts are based on “real world” street application and self-defense. and i believe it is also very important for women to be able to defend themselves outside of the ring as well. one of my specific goals is transitioning more girls from the street to the ring as that’s where many of the best fighters came from and tested themselves, the gracies, marco “king of the streets” ruas, bas rutten, bruce lee, and countless others.
    GFC, i understand what u say, but at the same time i should mention that there is a big difference for view of “martial arts” between you and me, as a Japnese who was born in Japan and raised in it`s culture.

In our deep minds, Martial arts like Judo, Jiujitu, Karate, or Kendo(Japanese sword fighting) are far from street fighting or war. Of course their origine were techniques and method of ” how to kill enemy or opponents in the battle field”, but during the history of Samurai for almost a thousand year, it had turned into another level. Jigoro Kano the founder of Judo, kodokan must be the significant. U may call his philosophy “Tao” in English.

That Tao lays in our common life. Yes, Japan is known as safety country than others, but still we are familiar with matial arts. When u go to country side of Japan, u will be surprised to see even any small town has Dojo(Budojo) the gym for Judo, Kendo or Karate. kids often can learn them for free or only like 5us$-10us$ membership fee to keep Dojo to pay their communities or Cityhalls( yeah its common here, City , Town or villege has own Dojo aside normal gym). In my generation, we had to take Judo or Kendo as PE Class once a week. a lot of Teachers of my highschool had black belt of Judo. We also held big Judo match once a year among classes.

that sucks when u got Judo throw to Tatami and feel pain on whole of your body saying ” hey wait, im a lover , not a wor…….OUcH!” 😀

Its hard to say in words, but its sure we think the ultimate purpose of Martial arts is not for Street Fight and NEVER for war. Maybe its like the fact that Japanese Samurai swards are seen as works of art in modern society. Martial Arts for us is like…. Sicientific experience of human bodies and minds, the way of life, the way of human relationships, or in only one word, ” philosophy”? i cant discribe well.

Most of Judo Masters or Aikido masters will say just ” RUN AWAY!!” when u ask them about the ultimate defence.

The facts may tell u something that …
    Hayato Sakurai got punched in his face on the street by a drunk guy several years ago. it was few weeks b4 his next fight. but Sakurai just let the guy punch, didnt strike back, he even didnt tell who is he, the Drunken guy was sooo surprised and scared after Police had told it was Sakurai the famous fighter of SHOOTO and PRIDE,

Japanese Former Boxing world Champ Hiroki Ioka had same accident b4 Sakurai lin 90`s. The news was damn funny, Ioka was saying “sorry, im very sorry i got punched in my face on the street but didnt hit back even im pro-boxer. but i cant, u know….” he was almost crying and kept apologizing to his fans in the video. But of course none of Japanese had critisized him, instead of that, he got more respect.

Ioka was my favorite boxer aside the great fight between Tatsuyoshi vs Yakushiji, He got world title twice losing his trainer who was almost his grand father, always has smiles on his facee,never acts like ” im a tough guy”. but we know he is the man with the strongest heart and will.

oops its off topic of this thread 😳

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?