can’t take time off!!? help me

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

Rox21
    Post subject: can’t take time off!!? help me PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:55 pm
    Pro Fighter

I posted this on mma.tv but I need people’s good advice here, tooooo…

I’m the type of person who, if she gets hurt, she eats two Aleve, falls asleep with 3 ice packs on different body parts, and sleeps with knees and arms propped up different levels and angels. Then she wakes up and fully expects to train every day a week.

Today I drove home with a bag of frozen peas balanced on my shoulder because I didn’t have an ice pack. I shouldn’t train tomorrow. I know I shouldn’t train tomorrow. I’m going to try not to train tomorrow, but I can almost guarantee that I’ll find myself sitting in Sityodtong wrapping my hands at 5:45 PM.

I sometimes drive home from the supermarket on my day off, suddenly realizing that my gym bag is magically sitting on the backseat of my car. Then for some mysterious reason, I arrive in front of the gym and what’s this? my feet are taking me inside, and I thought I was almost home!

HOW DO I NOT TRAIN???? It’s like…a problem. If stoping helps an injury, fine that’s easy enough. But if I take a week off and then train it STILL hurts, what’s the point? Sometimes I train and it hurts a little bit gradually goes away, so I can get away with continuing to train. Then I don’t have to go through training withdrawl. If I keep training on it, it eventually goes away,, so that doesn’t give me any incentive to take time off, you know?

I’ve heard people say “oh it’s better to take time off now so you can come back stronger.” Also, “You must train yourself to take time off!” and “Resting is as important a part of training as doing the exercises!”

yeah yeah I know all that, but I’m asking on mma.tv to see if someone has something new. Some mind game- some inspirational bit, SOMETHING! Even if somebody knows any ways to tie a particularly strong knot that I can use to tie myself to a chair to stop myself from going. It would be much appreciated. Maybe I won’t eat! Yeah! then I won’t have any energy! wait, that won’t work..I love food too much. maybe I could duct tape my mouth shut…damnit. help?

rick_alexio
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 2:20 am

lol…sounds kind of like your “fighting through mild concussions” level of devotion again…

I’d advise training ‘around’ your injuries. Focus on those areas which are not damaged. Modify and add things to your training arsenal. If a leg is injured work on upper body speed drills, grip/hand strength movements, work on your mind game – study fight films, etc. Then when you return to your full sparring and training regime those new elements should kick-in and add depth to your techniques and fighting applications. If you continue training ‘on’ injuries you are looking at long-term chronic problems that will create a weaknesses in your game. Let your body heal, girl! 😉

RA

coslisa
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:35 am
    Pro Fighter

If I can’t train for whatever reason, I’ll either sit and watch fights on DVD or I’ll read martial arts instructional or autobiography books. This means you are resting your body but you are still learning. The only problem with this is you see something and want to practice it straight away!!!

In all seriousness though you HAVE to rest because you don’t want to get to the stage where you’ve burnt yourself out or injuried something so bad that you end up not being ABLE to continue training.

adriennaaj
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 5:40 am
    Pro Fighter

poor roxy, and arent you a college student too? Man.., You know when yu are injured and pain killers are like skittles, its your body saying “holy S***!!, a break any time would be nice.”lol. One of the sayings that my teamates uses is “are you hurt, or are you injured?” Its a given to get all the bumps or bruises that comes along with any sport. But if its a constant pain, you are injured, and need to see a chiropractor or your doctor and take a week off. I guess you will need to convince your self that your body NEEDS it just as much as your brain tells you that you need to train. Rick had some really good off-time suggestions. Sometimes if i get injured ill go and wacth training, try to help others out on things they might need. Take it easy rox! 😉

dl_angel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 7:46 am

I do not go to the gym- if I go, I get REALLY upset watching everyone else train. It’s almost funny- I will stand there talking to my instructor and I magically start leaning towards everyone who is training… inching slowly towards them. Drives me absolutely nuts to watch everyone. Although I can’t stay away too long so I will go visit once or twice.

If I can work around an injury, then I go to a regular gym or find some other exercise… and if I can’t do ANYTHING, then I usually try to schedule something for myself that I will really enjoy.

Or my favorite- I do everything I know will keep me from training as much as I’d like once I do recover… my gym has Sundays off so I used to do ALL my schoolwork (well, haha… maybe not ALL) on Sundays, even if I didnt have anything due that week, so I could get ahead and not worry about it later, when I might be busy training. And yeh- clean my apartment, wash my handwraps, catch up with my friends. If I can make the motivating factor my training, usually I get things done pretty fast. 😆

luvmachine
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:08 am

take some xanax and just chill. You wont want to get up and train.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:10 am
    Instructor

I wish I had that kind of dedication!

Seriously though, I think Rick’s advice is pretty good. Here’s what I’ll add to it:

When I can’t train I go to the gym anyway (I’m the “gym director” so I kind of have to). I make sure that I wear something that I can’t work out in (don’t wash your training clothes if you have to!). Then I sit on the sidelines and watch everything with a hawk’s eye. This accomplishes several things for me. It lets me give everyone advice on their game, it tells me what I need to do the next time I spar that person, and from listening to the coach’s instruction I still learn something (I just have to practice it the next time I train).

Anthea
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 12:53 pm
    Pro Fighter

Crazy crazy girl! 😀

In my club, every fight we have we have to help out the beginners for two sessions afterwards. It does kind of suck going along to training and seeing all the seniors/fighters training etc (we all train at the same time, just in different groups), and wanting like MAD to join in, but it’s just kind of a club rule- when you first started I bet there was some really good person that you were in awe of and they took some time out to give you a few pointers, and so now that you’re the good person you kind of owe it to pass on your knowledge and experience and inspire a few beginners. Maybe if you think about it like that rather than only thinking about what you’re missing out on then it might be easier (btw that’s not a dig at you 😀 )…

Personally, I love my time off after a fight (I take a week off every fight- i rarely take time off any other time…), it gives me a chance to catch up with my friends I’ve been ignoring, and it means i can wear something other than track pants to uni every day (i go straight from uni to training so what’s the point in looking nice- then you’ve just gotta carry round all your training gear anyway!).

Good luck 😀
    Anthea

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 4:44 pm
    Pro Fighter

dl_angel, me too. I hate watching.

Today I couldn’t stop myself from going to the gym, but managed to sneak out before class started when I wasn’t paying attention.

Yes, when I wasn’t paying attention. I was all worried about my shoulder and thinking what kind of drills i could do when I managed to quickly throw my stuff in my gym bag and run outside to my car as fast as I could before I knew what I was doing. Go body! way to take control over the mind!

FtGeno
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 6:44 pm

I would try training mentally. Reading up on various techniques, fight analysis, history, medical reports of potential opponents 😈 , and watch fights and other related videos. You can train around your injury and…

*Reads Rick’s post*

Yeah, what he said. 😐

Executioner
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 9:30 pm

Grab some beers and chill out!! 8)

Mark Grassman
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2005 11:57 am
    Fightergirls elite poster

This compulsion to train sounds like an addiction to exercize to me.

Some injuries you could train through, some you shouldn’t. Swimming may provide a low impact way to exercise and get some blood flowing to the parts that need healing.

I’d advise you to see a doctor to help you know what is wrong and what to do about it.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?