Cauliflower Ear

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

piranha
    Post subject: Cauliflower Ear Post Posted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 4:10 am

Ok had this for about three weeks now…went to the doc and he said he could drain it but it would fill right back up again. I stopped training for a week or so and the swelling went down…trained last night and it is bigger than it was when it first happedned…any advice??

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:51 am
    Fightergirls elite poster

you may need surgery if draining isn’t working then prevention with guards (link below) whenever sparring and grappling…

Rosi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 9:35 am
    Pro Fighter

The way to treat it is to get it drained (I wouldn’t recommend doing it yourself – see someone medically qualified – but if you do you need to be very careful that everything is disinfected properly), and then you need to pack it tightly with cotton wool, add some more cotton wool just behind the ear, and then tape it firmly to your head. That stops it filling up again.

Until it settles, you’ll probably need to wear ear guards for training if you don’t want it to keep turning into a balloon.

cosmic
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 7:04 pm

Rosi wrote:
    The way to treat it is to get it drained (I wouldn’t recommend doing it yourself – see someone medically qualified – but if you do you need to be very careful that everything is disinfected properly), and then you need to pack it tightly with cotton wool, add some more cotton wool just behind the ear, and then tape it firmly to your head. That stops it filling up again.

Until it settles, you’ll probably need to wear ear guards for training if you don’t want it to keep turning into a balloon.
    yes, compression is important (but often overlooked) after getting it drained …rosi gives you some very good advice here.
    I have heard some bad stories of people doing it themselves (increased risk of infection).

piranha
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 4:16 am

thanks for the help…well I went and got it drained yesterday but woke up this morning with it filled up again 😡 I didn’t read the message about compressing it until until now….so, guess I’ll go get it done again and try taping it this time
    Last edited by piranha on Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cosmic
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 5:18 am

piranha wrote:
    thanks for the help…well I went and got it drained yesterday but woke up this morning with it filled up again 😡 I didn’t read the message about compressing it until until now….so, guess I go get it done again and try taping it this time
    that sucks dude, third time lucky anyway.

the compression and tightly holding the ear in place is to prevent re-accumulation of the blood into the space…..they say to leave on for 3 to 7 days…….to prevent the hemotoma from coming back.
    some people also take an oral antibiotic (because of the possibility of infection).

all the best.

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:21 am

hmmm…also sounds like you should compress your doc who should know about post-drainage care and just nailed ya for 3 visits. nice catch and advice on that Rosi!

piranha
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 12:16 pm

the doc said something about putting a “button” in it if the draining didn’t work??
    found this website…looks to good to be true though

J
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 2:01 pm

Hey ladies – can you recommend some headgear that you really like?

Thanks

piranha
    Post subject: one more question….PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 4:53 am

Ok, so I got this drained AGAIN…tried to pack it, but it’s on the inside of my ear so it’s kind of difficult…anyway I took it easy, didn’t spar or anything & it stayed ok for a week (just a little fluid came back, but no biggie)
    Sat. I took my son to a seminar with Andrei Arlovski and the kid that was supposed to work with him didn’t show up, so I was his partner. Needless to say I now have a balloon for an ear again 😡 …gonna go get it drained AGAIN (the doc I went to is cool tho–didn’t charge me for the last visit)
    Now for my question exactly how long does this normally take before it stops filling up? I am willing to take off a little time of training, just curious how long it should be.

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 10:38 am

aye grrl good to hear the doc is being cool but the more it fills and has to be drained the harder it will be to deal with. if the skin is not adhering to the cartilage it could still fill (chronically) even giving it plenty of healing time. as i said you may need a small surgical procedure and/or stitches in order to get it back to normal as is possible. you should really go to a doc who is more specialized in that area. and from now on you *gotta* wear guards to prevent it from recurring or happening in other areas especially now knowing you are more prone to it. i personally like Cliff Keen Tornado guards cuz they don’t obstruct hearing are lightweight and fit well…but, everyone is different so i suggest going into a local outlet and trying some on to see which feels best and is most comfy to you.

irishspirit
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 1:28 pm

is the small surgical procedure just lancing it with a knife? I had that done twice before it stopped filling. It’s not that bad actually. Doc gives you a shot of novocaine (sp?) then takes a knife and makes a small cut in your ear and then squeezes all the fluid out. It’s all over in less than 5 minutes and you don’t feel a thing until like an hour later when your ear starts to ache a little. Ice and advil helpa lot though.

I had my b/f drain mine with insulin needles we got from a local pharmacy everyday after training when I first got cauliflower ear (I couldn’t take time off because it was 3 weeks before the Mundials). Finally I went to a doc, they lanced it and gave me antiobiotics. I had to have it lanced again a few days later but a couple days after that it was mostly healed. Now you can’t even tell I ever had it, unless you know to look for it and look really close.

Maulinator
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 2:46 pm
    Pro Fighter

Just let it harden and wear it like a badge of honor 😀

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 2:57 am

hehehe…yeah that’s another option ‘some’ battle scar-age is cool. 😉

and yeah lancing was the procedure, then there’s another where just some stitches are used after draining to help the skin bond to the cartilage…

piranha
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Nov 14, 2007 5:58 am

Maulinator wrote:
    yeah I think that’s what I’ll end up doing-it’s not too bad now…I’m tired of getting a needle stuck through the back of my ear lol…I cheked out those cliff keen guards and ordered one…thanks everyone for all of the advice!

KhorneliusPraxx
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:07 am

Maulinator wrote:

Tell me you didn’t! 🙁

Maulinator
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 10:34 am
    Pro Fighter

He he….

Didn’t you get the memo? Cauli ear is all the rage for women right now! Models all over the world are rushing to plastic surgeons to get surgery to make their ears like ours! 😀

Yeah with fights going on at the same time I had the Cauli I couldn’t get it drained enough to keep it down, so yes, now I have a nice big badge of honor hanging off my head!

Nice pic by the way….

Did you get my e-mail about Maura doing braids for the girls next week?

KhorneliusPraxx
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:32 am

I didn’t get an e-mail!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?