Choice of cardio

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

Born Stubborn
    Post subject: Choice of cardio PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 4:00 am

Hi all–

trying to get rid of some extra weight, and while I’ve got the weight training part down (I lift 3X a week, moderate to heavy weights, 12-16 reps per set, 3-4 sets per exercise), but deciding how to vary my cardio is confusing to me.

I lift M, W, F and do cardio days on T, Th. On those days, I’ve been doing 20 minute segments on various hamster wheel type machines. I vary the programs used — intervals, endurance programs, etc. And typically will do 1-2 hours of cardio total.

On my lifting days, I finish with 20-40 minutes of cardio. While I anticipate a change in frequency, I currently only train muay thai once or twice a week, for roughly 2 hours. I’m between mma gyms right now, but that will change over the next 3-6 months, I’m hoping. Ideally, I’ll go back to training bjj/MT 3-5 times a week.

I don’t want to sacrifice the good muscle I have, but I know I’m walking around too heavy for competition (155-160 for a 5’1″ frame). I don’t want to give up that kinda reach advantage! lol

My knees are kinda ragged, so treadmill work is very limited. I imagine as I drop weight, that may change though.

what sort of split should I be doing, in terms of long, steady cardio vs. interval/HIIT training, in order to shed the fat, but preserve the muscle?

(and yes, I know diet is gonna loom large in this equation as well)

big thanks to any help, as well as anyone with the attention span to have waded through this novella. :/

Report this post Post details Warn user Delete post
    Top E-mail Edit post Reply with quote

Born Stubborn
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:13 am

🙁

85 reads and no replies???

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:58 am
    Instructor

I prefer sport specific cardio. We do “grass drills” in class which is a military drill with sprawls and shots added in to the normal exercises (running in place, frog jumps, mountain climbers, sit ups, and push ups). We also do some integrated fitness drills but we do them as races (bear crawls, crab walks, inchworms, body drags, shrimping, etc.). Running with a sandbag is great too (though I’m too lazy to do this one 😀 ). These are all good cardio workouts that are also (except for the sandbag) body weight exercises.

luvmachine
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 12:43 pm

I know you mentioned it, but changing your diet is a hell of a lot more important thatn little workout specifics when trying to lose excess fat . Your burning relatively the same amount of calories either way.

Its tough as shit, it sucks and it really isnt fun. Trust me I know. But as long as you are excersizing consistantly you should be fine there right now. Concentrate on diet. It makes a huge difference.

Born Stubborn
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 12:47 am

thanks, y’all.

I’m gonna try mixing up more intervals and sprinting with less emphasis on the long, steady rate cardio for a month or so, see what happens.

and get back to doing more bodyweight stuff, as I have sorely neglected those types of things (as was made most apparent this week when I tried doing the Bas Rutten sprawl workout– humbled.)

luv machine- I was afraid someone was gonna tell me that. Junk’s coming off, just sloooooooow.

Sean Attea
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:26 pm

I suppose it depends on what you are after. For me, it is interval training all the way. I’d rather have a body like an olympic sprinter than a marathon runner. 😆

Born Stubborn
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 2:55 pm

sean–

yep, leaning more towards interval training as I get accustomed to it. Just seems like I got more “bang for my buck” in terms of how I feel after 20 minutes of intervals vs. 20 minutes on the hampster wheel at medium intensity.

I’m having to re-arrange a lot of things, as I started a new job this week, so there’s more variables to deal with. Trying to keep a nice, tight rein on what I’m eating, but the job makes it challenging. But I’ll find a way. Worked too hard to put back on any useless bulk.

luvmachine
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:32 pm

Born Stubborn wrote:

luv machine- I was afraid someone was gonna tell me that. Junk’s coming off, just sloooooooow.

i hear you

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?