competed in my first wrestling tournament

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

Gracie Girl
    Post subject: competed in my first wrestling tournamentPostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:23 am

Well when we had our different divisions of the forum I was searching for tournaments locally and trying to get extra help. I finally found a wrestling club I’ve been training with for the last month, no tournaments locally have had females for me yet, but I did compete in Michigan last weekend.

I took 3rd in Freestyle and 2nd in Folkstyle at the USGWA Nationals for wrestling. I really had no idea what I was doing out there :oops:, but I kinda resorted back to my BJJ skills as far as positioning to win my matches. I got my first pin too during my last match of folkstyle so that was exciting.

It was such a cool tournament with 590 girls competing and very well run. It hasn’t really sunk in that I placed, still kinda wondering what happened cause I was just making most of the moves up as I went along. But I just had to share cause I know Shannon and some other girls switched from BJJ to wrestling too. Haven’t given up BJJ completely, I’ll be doing pan ams this coming weekend too.

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:16 am

Congratulations!

What, specifically, do you attribute your BJJ -> Wrestling transition to?
    What things/techniques do you focus on mostly?

Do you mind explaining the difference between freestyle and folkstyle? I always thought people treated them as synonymous.

Thanks

Ko2

Del
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 1:28 pm

WoW,

Good for you! That’s a different experience.

Hook
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 7:16 pm

Congrats!! Only a month and you placed 3rd, thats amazing.

What made you switch more over to wrestling vs BJJ, and other grappling arts? I am just curious because I have never really dealt with wrestling per say.

What are the pros to wrestling vs. JJ? Are the subs a lot different?

Again way to go!!!

Gracie Girl
    Post subject: Thanks!PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2004 8:03 pm

Well there are no submissions in folkstyle, greco nor freestyle wrestling. The equivalent to a tap out in BJJ would be a pin in wrestling. I focus mainly on Freestyle Wrestling so I mainly have to learn techniques on how to turn people for points.

For me the switch is mostly due to lack of competition in BJJ. I knew once I had my purple belt I wouldn’t be able to find competition. This year will be the debut of womens freestyle wrestling in the Olympics so for me that’s a more prestigious goal than attaining a mundial championship. Wrestling also has competition for me at my current weight (112) and below and BJJ is really lacking there. Plus wrestling is a tougher workout than BJJ.

Folkstyle is what’s done in high school and college for men. Freestyle is what’s done for the olympics. They’ve got a different point system and rules. I think the important difference is that you only have to turn your opponents shoulders 90 degrees to the mat to get points in freestyle where you actually have to have the shoulders level to the floor in folkstyle to get points.

richard1
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 5:34 am

Gracie Girl u sound like a really good athlete congradulations.

chad
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2004 9:11 pm
    Fightergirls elite poster

This is really killer news!!!! BIG CONGRATS GRACIE GIRL !!!!!!!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?