Cutting Weight

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

CTD
    Post subject: Cutting Weight PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 5:01 pm

Hello all, sorry if this has been posted before, but I need some advice from some ladies who have been there before me. I need to cut about 12 pounds for a tournament at the beginning of November. I have been getting advice from a lot of guys at the club but was wondering if I should do anything different because I am female.

This will be the first time I have needed to cut weight and don’t really know how even to start going about it. I figure I have quite a bit of time so if any of you have any safe methods, please let me know.

Any advice? Thanking you in advance.

Maulinator
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 9:49 pm
    Pro Fighter

What has worked for me is the whole 6 small meals in a day. I don’t believe in cutting anything out of your diet (except excessive fats, fried foods etc..) like carbs or anything. Balance.

Make your portions smaller, and make the larger portion of your meals be the veggies and such instead of the meat. About a week before the fight try meal replacement shakes one or two times a day. Increase your cardio (well the whole time, not just a week before).

The dont’s: don’t starve yourself, don’t eat well one day and binge out the next, DON’T dehydrate yourself. There are some girls that can get away with the whole don’t eat/drink for 2 days prior, but I really feel like that is worse for you than anything. I mean every molecule in your body needs water to process, and it takes at least 24 FULL hours to replace the water in your body when you do that.

When it comes down to go time, if you are 2-3 pounds over, it is fairly easy to sweat out (as long as you haven’t already starved/dehydrated yourself) As soon as you are done, tank Gatorade or Pedialyte.

Oh and another thing, when and if you are sweating the weight out, be sure to be moving around, doing jumping jacks, etc.. in the steam room. Just sitting there takes too long and is to damaging on the body.

KhorneliusPraxx
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 4:52 am

At least you have plenty of time…
    I want to lose 10 pounds by Friday Night.
    I will be doing some of Molly’s don’ts. 🙁
    Luckily for me I will weigh in the night before. 🙂

CTD
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:44 am

Thanks for the tips! Like I said, cutting weight is new to me so I don’t want to screw it up and feel so crappy for the tournament that I can’t fight at my best.

I like the idea of 6 meals a day! 😉 I was thinking of an Atkins type diet, but you don’t think it is necessary to cut the carbs? Darn, I was loooking forward to three weeks of all meat diet! 😀

KP, good luck on your ten pounds…that is what I am hoping to avoid having to do.

KhorneliusPraxx
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 5:50 am

For me, it is easier to give up everything for a short period of time than it is to give up the stuff I love for a long period of time. I know it is wrong but I am weak. 😈

CTD
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:34 am

KhorneliusPraxx wrote:
    For me, it is easier to give up everything for a short period of time than it is to give up the stuff I love for a long period of time. I know it is wrong but I am weak. 😈

I know, that is what I am struggling with right now. We just had Canadian thanksgiving…wahhhhhhh! 😥 But I know myself, if I totally dehydrate or de-food myself the day before the tourney, I’m going to feel like garbage so I figure a few weeks of crankiness is better than having absolutely zero energy the day of.

I have enough to deal with on the day of the tourney as I tend to freak out and get nervous, without having to worry about low energy as well.

Good luck on your tourney (or is it a fight?).

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 6:40 am
    Instructor

You especially don’t want to try dehydrating yourself since this is your first time cutting weight. If you ever have to try that it is best to do a “practice run” a month or two before your fight. That way you know how it will effect you the day of your fight.

KhorneliusPraxx
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:05 am

CTD wrote:
    Good luck on your tourney (or is it a fight?).

Just a BJJ tourny…I am far to old and wimpy to actually fight. 🙄
    http://www.fightergirls.com

CTD
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 7:59 am

KhorneliusPraxx wrote:
    …I am far to old and wimpy to actually fight. 🙄

…me too! 😉 😀

nhbSDMF
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2005 8:02 am

Yeah, use dehydration as an absolute last resort. If you can take your time and diet down, it’s the best and safest way to go.

I used to sweat down to make weight but I won’t do it anymore unless there is no other option, or I only need to lose 2-3 lbs. You just lose too much energy to be effective. Well, I should say I lose too much energy that way. I’ve seen my girlfriend cut a LOT of weight before by sweating, but by the following day (prev. night weigh-ins) she seems rehydrated and back to normal.

Right now I’m doing a trial run before I cut for NAGA in November. So far it’s been 8 days and I’m down 12 lbs (6 lbs to go). I can definitely relate to the crankyness too, as anyone that has spent over 8 hours with me can unfortunately attest to. Just this weekend my sister’s boyfriend said “there are times where I think your brother would rather eat…. no I’d say he’d rather feed on something than breathe…”

My Mom even gave a nickname because of how cranky I got as a kid….. ( 😉 )

Best of luck!!

CTD
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:13 pm

Just to update you (as if anyone cared 😉 ), I cut 18 pounds in two weeks and will NEVER do that again! I felt horrible the day of the tournament and eventually had to pull out after the gi events as I had no juice at all. I did poorly in the gi events – giving up an armbar that I should have been able to defend because I had zero strenght.

I guess I would do better competing at my natural weight and not worrying so much.

Thanks for everyone’s advice. 🙂

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:29 pm
    Instructor

How much did you cut in the last 24 hours?

CTD
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 12:37 pm

Rikki wrote:
    How much did you cut in the last 24 hours?

I cut only 7 pounds 24 hours before. What can I say? I’m a whiner 😳 😕 .

It was the first time I cut weight and I think I was just wickedly dehydrated.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 1:54 pm
    Instructor

That’s still quite a bit to lose in one day. The exhaustion problem is why I suggest doing a trial run. Cutting weight quickly affects different people in different ways and you never know until you experience it for yourself.

MNkkgMMA
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:20 pm
    Pro Fighter

Go to the local drug store or Target or Wal-mart and get a BIG bag/Box of epsom salt, pour the entire thing into a hot bathtub, soak for about an hour. It’ll knock off 5-10 pounds. An old wrestling secret my husband got from his dys as a college wrestler. And it doesn’t make you feel all dehydrated and crappy.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:26 pm
    Instructor

Hmmmm….does that really work?? I wonder how bad it’ll dry my skin out????

MNkkgMMA
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:29 pm
    Pro Fighter

really does work!!! Yes it dries your skin out, but it’s better than the horrid feeling of dehydration and sauna sweating in plastics. Just use a light lotion afterwards. I could go from 150 to 140 in a hot bubble bath with candles, what more could you ask for?

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 5:32 pm
    Instructor

I’d love to try it but I have eczema so putting lotion on afterward wouldn’t help me at all. I get dried out after a shower!!! 😯

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?