Dana White=annoying

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

thatgirltasha
    Post subject: Dana White=annoying Post Posted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:46 pm

Hey there everyone, maybe this is really old news to everyone here, but I just ran across this Dana White interview (Jan. 07)from the Baltimore Sun.
    Here is the quote that caught my eye;

Quote:
    “As you said, MMA is becoming more popular, even among women — whether you market to them or not — and because of that, women are also becoming participants in the sport. Do you have any plans to add female fighters to your promotion?

I don’t. I’m not a huge fan of women fighting. Period. Not to say that I don’t acknowledge that there are amazing female athletes out there in every sport. I just think right now we had a hard enough time getting over the stigma of the men.”

👿

Like I said, I think this might be old stuff to everyone here-but my blood started boiling so I wound up turning my first post here into a vent.

cosmic
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 4:11 am

I agree. Dana White is a tool.

Womens fights are some of the most exciting fights.

Welcome to the forum btw.

foxylicious
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:32 am

Welcome to the forum. You’re baby is adorable. Dana claimed once he would never allow women in the UFC, but trust me if he sees an opportunity to jump on the bandwagon and cash in, he’ll exploit it somehow. But he is pretty adament about not ever doing it.

feldmanfighter
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 9:08 am
    Amateur Fighter

UFC is a men’s league anyways… I mean, don’t get me wrong, at first I didn’t like it either.

But there’s plenty of other places for us ladies now. Here’s to Bodog for consistently giving women a place to compete. HookNShoot and Naga among others…

Not trying to take over the thread to acknowledge those leagues that have gone out of there way to make a place for the women…but maybe that topic deserves a new one.

And perhaps this will be the thing that brings Dana’s monopoly down.

BrawlerBitch
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:43 pm

Dana will roll if he see’s money in it!

themannon
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 7:12 pm

dana white is a businessman. he’s not going to do anything that he thinks could hurt his organization. As well all know, MMA has come under attack in some quarters as barbaric, brutal etc. His perception is that adding women to UFC could engender more attacks and undue some of the progress they’ve made. Got nothing to do with how good the women are or whether women put on good fights. Unfortunately, I think he’s probably right.

Rosi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 1:04 am
    Pro Fighter

I disagree, I think it’s faulty logic to suggest that having women involved will increase opposition to MMA. To be honest, I think to many people, having a women’s division would make it appear more of a legitimate sport and less of a violent freakshow.

In Dana’s case, I think he’s smarter than to believe that argument. I think the main opposition to women’s fighting is from the young, testosterone filled, insecure males – ie. a large part of the UFC’s target demographic. It’s not the people who already dislike MMA who he cares about upsetting – it’s the people who are buying his product. You’ve got to remember that the UFC are in the business of selling an image of “masculinity” – and having women involved (except as smile objects) doesn’t fit with that image.

People who DON’T like MMA, on the other hand, are on the whole much less likely to be bothered whether it’s men or women beating each other up. It’s the association with “real world” violence that’s a large part of the problem for many, and having women involved weakens rather than strengthens that link.

I used to care, but then Bodog came along… 😀

Ruby
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:36 am

Rosi wrote:
    I disagree, I think it’s faulty logic to suggest that having women involved will increase opposition to MMA. To be honest, I think to many people, having a women’s division would make it appear more of a legitimate sport and less of a violent freakshow.

In Dana’s case, I think he’s smarter than to believe that argument. I think the main opposition to women’s fighting is from the young, testosterone filled, insecure males – ie. a large part of the UFC’s target demographic. It’s not the people who already dislike MMA who he cares about upsetting – it’s the people who are buying his product. You’ve got to remember that the UFC are in the business of selling an image of “masculinity” – and having women involved (except as smile objects) doesn’t fit with that image.

People who DON’T like MMA, on the other hand, are on the whole much less likely to be bothered whether it’s men or women beating each other up. It’s the association with “real world” violence that’s a large part of the problem for many, and having women involved weakens rather than strengthens that link.

I have to agree, most (not all) of the UFC fans are immature, insecure and dont have a realistic view of any fighting sport. They just like to wear the UFC, and TAPOUT shirts so they can look cool, and without ever stepping in a ring or cage.

thatgirltasha
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:47 am

I defiantly see that White sees women fighters as a can of worms, both because of the knucklehead demographic he wants and the old fogies of athletic commissions. I agree with Rosi that involving women might legitimize MMA as a sport, in the minds of a lot of people. But some of these athletic commission guys are already panicking at seeing their world slip away with the downhill slide of boxing and are really horrified at any woman in the ring (without a g-string and a ring card).

I do wonder though, if the UFCs lack of women is going to start looking like a glaring omission because of Bodog.

I agree with everyone that Dana will follow the money but I really was surprised to find Danna White so narrow minded and backward in his personal views.

And hey-thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

And thank God for Bodog
    -Tasha
    Last edited by thatgirltasha on Wed Jun 06, 2007 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

themannon
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 4:32 pm

Rosi wrote:

I disagree. I think what you’re missing is that UFC has grown far beyond the knucklehead demographic. Most importantly, it wants to keep growing beyond that demographic. Big matches are now ‘hot’ places to be seen by many in the entertainment world, etc. There’s no doubt that a bloody, hardcore womens’ match will bring out more emotion and condemnation than a mens’ match. Thats the reality.

And I think you’re also badly misreading the knucklehead demo anyhow – I was in that group in my younger days – believe me, those guys dont look at women fighting and get insecure. They’re more likely to get hard ons.

My personal opinion is that, in the long run, good womens’ matches would only enhance UFC. Just like a couple of good womens’ boxing matches on PPV undercards changed a lot of peoples’ views, I think the same would happen with womens’ MMA. But in the short term, it would likely be seen as a negative.

derUbermensc
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:29 pm

What I don’t understand about the quotation is that White objects to adding women’s bouts to UFC cards a) because he objects to women fighting personally and b) it would only make the stigma hill even steeper at current. While Point b is logical, not only is point a illogical, as stemming from sentiment, but subsumes b, since even if the stigma over men’s mma competition White would still not be compelled to introduce women’s mma onto UFC cards.

Rosi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 1:36 am
    Pro Fighter

Quote:
    There’s no doubt that a bloody, hardcore womens’ match will bring out more emotion and condemnation than a mens’ match. Thats the reality.
    Actually, I question that. I’ve seen a few fairly bloody women’s MMA fights, and I’ve been involved in one or two that, let’s say haven’t been exactly tame, and I’ve actually seen remarkably little “emotional condemnation” of it, on the grounds that it’s women.

Incidentally, I have talked about MMA with a whole range of different people, ranging from academics to politicians to journalists and broadcasters, and I have NEVER, NOT ONCE had anyone say anything particularly negative about women’s MMA to me personally (as opposed to anonymously on the internet).

Quote:
    And I think you’re also badly misreading the knucklehead demo anyhow – I was in that group in my younger days – believe me, those guys dont look at women fighting and get insecure. They’re more likely to get hard ons.
    By insecure, I really mean insecure about how other guys are going to perceive them if they hold certain views. I think it is seen as the done thing within (certain portions of) that group to view women chiefly as passive smile*. Women who are athletic and can fight don’t sit comfortably with that viewpoint. (Or, if they do it’s because they’re just a different variety of smile*, not because they’re taken seriously as athletes). Then there’s the guys who want to see fighting as a “man thing”, and suggesting that women can do it too somehow devalues or cheapens it, because women are, well, inferior. Duh!

(Note that I’m not convinced that all, or even most, of this group ACTUALLY think this way – but many do feel the need to be SEEN to think that way. I also think when actually presented with women’s MMA, fewer people object to it then when presented with the concept of women’s MMA. People are funny like that.)

[*the filter must be making a bizzare substitution here… you know what i’m trying to say]

You only have to look at the lengths people will go to on certain forums to argue that women can’t fight and the best women in the world would get beaten by any reasonably athletic male white belt, etc etc etc… now the interesting thing isn’t whether or not this is true (it isn’t), it’s the emotional attachment these guys clearly have to making that point. You have to question why it is they seem to care so much.

Incidentally, most of this is coming almost exclusively from guys who don’t actually train seriously or fight… those who do seem to be a lot more respectful of female fighters.

Anyhow, this is just my rather amateur attempt to make sense out of my observations, so feel free to take it or leave it 😉

Quote:
    What I don’t understand about the quotation is that White objects to adding women’s bouts to UFC cards a) because he objects to women fighting personally and b) it would only make the stigma hill even steeper at current. While Point b is logical, not only is point a illogical, as stemming from sentiment, but subsumes b, since even if the stigma over men’s mma competition White would still not be compelled to introduce women’s mma onto UFC cards.
    I would say that (a) is the real reason (along with his belief that it doesn’t fit with his product’s image), and (b) is a post-hoc attempt to rationalize it for the rest of the population that doesn’t share his view.

derUbermensc
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:51 pm

Rosi wrote:
    I would say that (a) is the real reason (along with his belief that it doesn’t fit with his product’s image), and (b) is a post-hoc attempt to rationalize it for the rest of the population that doesn’t share his view.
    That’d be the import of it.

BrianNYC
    Post subject: He may have a point…PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 10:44 am
    Fightergirls elite poster

I think he was trying to say that the UFC (ie. MMA) has had such a hard time becoming accepted as a sport (a problem still encountered), and the fighting is men vs. men. It is simple to assume the men vs men fighting is more acceptable in society and by the common/everyday fan, than women vs women. Therefore, I have the feeling that a point he was trying to make is that it has been a long road for the UFC/MMA and there is no reason to “push the envelop”.

In my opinion, UFC should not include women but instead work on 1) making their website more about the fighters and the sport, include their life bio, not just their fight record, not just their next money making pay-per view; 2) they must improve their broadcasts, i like joe rogan, but he yells…no, screams through the whole program and he is very partial to the popular fighter; 3) there production is more like a WWE production, there is nothing that sets a UFC production apart from the copmpetition, nothing that is unique other than a octagon cage, but it is the same cheesy lights, music as a WWE production and with the feeling that the program is being filmed in a high school gym.

That said, once the IFL and other televised MMA organizations get women vs women fighting and the common/everyday fan understands the talent and excitement of women vs women….you can bet the UFC will begin to include women!

Debi….any thoughts or movement within the IFL to include women vs women fights????

Rosi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 2:09 pm
    Pro Fighter

Quote:
    That said, once the IFL and other televised MMA organizations get women vs women fighting and the common/everyday fan understands the talent and excitement of women vs women….you can bet the UFC will begin to include women!
    I think that by the time that happens, there’s a very real possibility that the UFC will have missed the boat.

Bodog is right now establishing itself as “the place to be” for female fighters, and I don’t think it will be long before they have nearly all the top women in the most common weight divisions. Given the way Bodog look after their fighters (and the way the women get the same respect as any other fighter, rather than being viewed as some sort of sideshow) I’m not sure they’ll all jump ship at the snap of Dana White’s fingers if and when he eventually decides to change his mind. There’s not huge numbers of female fighters to go around, and I don’t think the UFC would want to share their fighters with a rival organization.

fight4you

Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:38 pm

dana white is a foul-mouthed violence-pimp

foxylicious
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 9:34 pm

ROFLMAO…that was hilarious. Violence pimp, that is the best.Image

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 5:14 am

and accurate

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?