Debi Purcell vs Roxi M.

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

chad
    Post subject: Debi Purcell vs Roxi M. PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 6:07 pm
    Fightergirls elite poster

I found out that these two ladies will be doing battle in the IFC July 9th in San Diego CA…

Not sure if it is a title fight or not????

Good luck to both of them!!

Chad

Hook
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 8:24 pm

Exciting news. Good luck to both of you!!

greatlaughter
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2005 9:10 pm
    Pro Fighter

I think if Roxy has the titles then it would be a fight for the titles. I’m stoked about this. I think it will be a good test for Roxy – and given her recent fights, it ought to be a good fight for Debi too.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 12:16 am
    Instructor

Wow!

chad
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2005 6:11 pm

I didn’t want to spill the news until after Roxi / Laura fight…… I am still waiting to hear from debi or Roxi news or details..

Chad

Mandy_Aus
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 3:21 am

Wow!! This has got to be exciting for both ladies!! What a fantastic match up!

Good luck to both of you, im sure you’ll have an awesome fight

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2005 6:36 am
    Pro Fighter

I actually have to check with one potential employer before I TECHNICALLY agree to the fight, because they want the person to “be in japan in July” and since the fight is july ninth, I just have to make sure there’s no interfearance. I obviously want to…I’m working on applying as we speak!

holddown
    Post subject: Sorry RoxPostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 7:28 am

Love you girl. But this is one fight you can NOT win. Debbies, strength and superior skills both stand up and on the ground will make the an unpleasant experience for you.

Debbie is unbeatable.

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:58 pm
    Pro Fighter

haha 🙂

debi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 6:00 am
    Fightergirls Pro Fight Team

lol no one is unbeatable

and, I do not think Roxi is worried. I am excited about the fight though,

I have not fought in a long time, and think my game has improved a lot in the last few years and can not wait to test myself.

alicia
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2005 9:25 am

Where in San Diego is this taking place?

debi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:35 am

From what I know Alicia, It is teh SD convention Center

You know Cali is legalizing MMA this is going to be a sanctioned bout. it should be a huge event

alicia
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2005 6:44 am

That’s about 10 minutes from me! The only thing that sucks is I think I’m out of town that weekend 🙁 But if I’m not I’ll definitely be there!!

Good luck to both of you!

Lil Katai
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:40 am
    Pro Fighter

Rox is deffenitly my hero! For real. She has more guts than any chick I have evea met! I would love to see Rox bring this one home. I think she has what it takes to beat Debi. Skill, along with the heart!

I think when Rox beats Debi, that Debi and Howe should fight. That woud be another great fight.

debi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 6:25 am

lol Marie

it will be a great show come watch and BUY tickets everyone

rick_alexio
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:00 am

Actually, I think Debi is in over her head here due to inactivity and caliber of opposition. Rox has already fought and beaten many of the top fighters in the world…and, all within the last year. Not that Debi doesn’t have the natural talent and is trained by one of the best, but on paper this is a mismatch. Should be interesting though.

RA

Seth
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 10:51 am

rick_alexio wrote:
    …. but on paper this is a mismatch. Should be interesting though.

It’s a good thing for Debi that the matches are fought in the ring/cage & tatame and not on paper. They’re 2 great fighters and you just never know the outcome. Even in the ADCC she’s got a shot albeit the restricted rules and current experience of some of the competitors makes for tough going.

You’re right though. It should be interesting.

holddown
    Post subject: not a shotPostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 1:57 pm

you are mixing two calibres of fighters here. debi is by far the toughest, best conditioned, strongest and talented out there.

no doubt roxi has great guts. but she is going to get a sh__ kicking.

rick_alexio
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 2:31 pm

By far?? I think it’s great you are such an enthusiastic supporter for Debi, I like her too….but what record or performance are you basing this on?

RA

greatlaughter
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2005 8:19 pm
    Pro Fighter

Just my 2 cents:

Let’s not underestimate either of the two. Just b/c Debi hasn’t fought, doesn’t mean she hasn’t trained for fights in her ‘down’ time that just haven’t happened. And Roxanne’s got something. They are completly different. In fact, Roxanne isn’t like any fighter I’ve ever seen.
    They both rock and whatever happens will be perfect.

H

BrianP
    Post subject: If it is Roxy, where does that leave Laura?PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 9:12 am

Some of you are predicting a Roxy win. Then, WOW, where does that leave Laura. In the realm of women MMA, Debi is thought to be unbeatable to most. If Roxy beats her and Laura beat Roxy, Laura D must be the absolute best! Too bad she is not a member of this site. I know it is due to lack of time with full time job, daughter and training demands. Further, she is not much for being on the computer.

Anyway, I would think that if Roxy is to beat Debi, Laura is by far the best of her weight class.

Best of luck to both Roxy and Debi. Roxy, I saw your fight against Laura. You are skilled, tough and fearless. These fights against the top people will only serve as fantastic learning tools. You will eventually become the best because of them. Get Debi on the ground and use your wirey strength to give her problems. But, I will go with Debi because of her aggressiveness and athleticism (I think Debi has the best coordination and footwork of any fighter). But as I always say…what the hell do I know?

rick_alexio
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 10:25 am

Great thing about this division is that the top 5-10 girls are all so closely matched now that anyone could win on a given night.

That leaves Laura near the top but you can throw out that fight against Rox as any kind of indicator. She was just coming off a tough fight with Howe only 2 weeks earlier. It takes the brain longer than that to recover from concussive blows which can throw a fighters reaction and timing off considerably.

True, Debi looked great in her 4 wins but they were against unranked fighters who aren’t the caliber of a Howe, D’Auguste, or even Yabu-quit-a. Also, training is not fighting and it’s been awhile.

So that’s what makes it interesting.

RA

rick_alexio
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 11:18 am

Great thing about this division is that the top 5-10 girls are all so closely matched now that anyone could win on a given night.

That leaves Laura near the top but you can throw out that fight against Rox as any kind of indicator. She was just coming off a tough fight with Howe only 2 weeks earlier. It takes the brain longer than that to recover from concussive blows which can throw a fighters reaction and timing off considerably.

True, Debi looked great in her 4 wins but they were against unranked fighters who aren’t the caliber of a Howe, D’Auguste, or even Yabu-quit-a. Also, training is not fighting and it’s been awhile.

So that’s what makes it interesting.

RA

adriennaaj
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 12:07 pm
    Pro Fighter

wanted to wish both ladies luck in thier abu dabi trails coming up, what wieght are you two meeting up for the fight?

ixion
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 6:10 pm

I think it will be a fantastic fight. Debi has that immortality from making good showings but not fighting much. When you don’t fight much, there is less chance of people seeing you look weak against someone. You gotta love Rox for being a fighter though. She keeps putting herself on the line and we are getting to see the best and worst of her. That earns my respect.

By seeing both fighters, I’d choose Debi because we haven’t gotten to see her look weak yet. However, Rox has shown to be a persistant fighter that will be proving everyone wrong, time and time again.

rick_alexio
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2005 7:39 pm

Honestly, folks…I am not trying to knock Debi here but Tonya Harding could look strong against sub-par opposition. Just like anyone else she needs to prove herself in the ring against a top fighter in order to be considered a top fighter. Other than Van Fleet (who got beat by Buckner) Debi has simply not fought anyone yet. She got a decision win against Nicole Albrect who sub-par fighters knocked out. Amy Pitan was 0 -2 and Amber Mosely was an 0-1 fighter.

Meanwhile, next to Erin, I think Rox has proven to be the strongest female MMA fighter in the world right now by beating Jen Howe (who was considered the best lb for lb) not only once but twice in a row.

Now, if Debi has a good showing against Rox then hats off and she will legitimately earn that top level status. But until then…

RA

debi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:15 am

I usually do not make it a habit to post about things like this,

However Rick since you seem to have a hard on for slamming me on my own forum I think you should get YOUR FACTS straight.

Starting with Mosley My first recorded fight, we had the same record.
    Second fight Vanfleet, who if fighting today would be in the top 10 if not top five. And is an amazing athlete who has a records an win over some excellent girls including a 10 second KO of Anglea Restad which is not listed,

Pitman, was built like a brick shit house and outweighed me by like 45 pounds,

Nichole Albrecht, had been fighting for 3 years longer then me and had at least 6 fights more then me when we fought. Oh also she outweighed me by 35 pounds, and I controlled the most of the fight.

My lack of fighting has been for 2 reasons, Injuries ( my own) ( and others) , and lack of opponents. There were exactly 3 girls in the USA who have been willing to step up to fight. One of them was Jennifer. And I broke my arm a week before we were supposed to fight, then tore my ACL the last time. So we never did fight. To this day there is only 5 at best willing to step up in the US.

I have been searching for a so-called warm up fight for over a year. And finally realized its not going to happen.

My last effort was at Arnolds HNS where there were women capable but unwilling. NOT sure if you noticed the big HUGE post I put up saying SEARCHING for an opponent.

I read you think IM in over my head. While I did get a chuckle out of it. Im extending you the offer to find me a suitable opponant. 🙄

Lastly I love Rox. And have nothing but respect for her and her skills and most impressed with her for stepping up and fighting anyone and pushing Women’s fighting to finally getting some decent match ups. She has lit a fire under me to want to keep fighting in this sport.

I think its going to be at least a year or 2 more before we can see who is at the top. Beating one fighter does not make you top. So even if I had a loss to Rox, it would not necessarily make Laura number one. and if I did lose to Rox, maybe I could fight someone like Marie before I took on Jennifer.

The only girl at 135 who has really beaten more then 1 or 2 higher skill level girls is Jennifer. As for me I will not respond again, as fortunatly for me I get to prove my skill in the ring and not on a forum

Respectfully

Debi

Last edited by debi on Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

debi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:29 am

Thanks Aj 😉
    Can not wait for Abu Dabi, We are meeting at 140. btw

BrianP
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 8:04 am

Interesting posts here. But lets slow down a bit Rick. Debi’s past fights have been very impressive. So impressive she could not find anyone to fight for a very long time. Lets not apply the Mike Tyson label on her (oh, god, not on anyone for that matter). Tyson is washed up. His skills where declining (not all Tysons fault) when he fought Buster Douglas. But yet for some ungodly reason, he sells tickets and some people still want to watch him fight. Debi, on the other hand, has never lost or shown that she has lost her skill. Because of Debi’s name, I promise you, if she beats Roxy, she will be considered the one to beat in the 135 – 140 weight class.
    Funny, I never heard Roxy make the excuse of two weeks between fights. Good for you Roxy! No doubt you will be number one someday.
    Lets just hope the top six 135 – 140 fight each other in 2005. We have already had Laura and Roxy, now Debi and Roxy. Heck, if boxing can begin to get some champs in the ring, so can womens MMA.

rick_alexio
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 12:36 pm

First off, I specifically said this was not meant as a “slam” and acknowledged the Van Fleet fight, but again, that was *3 years ago* and she did also get beat by Amanda Buckner…not that Buckner isn’t a good fighter but it puts things in perspective.

As for the other fights, just because you had the same number of fights ( *1* against an 0-1 fighter)…or they outweighed you by 35 lbs means *zero* in terms of their fight record or ability. As you know many of these girls have had to fight up to 200 lbs over their weight and against skilled champions like Gundarenko.

Totally understand your injury situation and it’s unfortunate, but that doesn’t give you an extensive fight record or raise your ranking…nor does not being able to find a fight for the Arnold. And if I recall, even your buddy Jules wanted to fight you but things just didn’t work out…”stuf”‘ happens. I think the primary problem is there are still not enough females involved in mma to find ‘tune-up’ fights..

No-one is saying it’s your fault, but it’s still not fair to the other women who have been active and built up their records to just claim you are as good (or better) based on 1 win against a top 10 fighter 3 years ago.

As an honorable fighter you should *want* to prove yourself in the ring and respect that position. Like I said, if you win or do well in July (in the ring) that is proving yourself in a righteous way…and, coming off the long layoff and with those few fights on your record will make it all the more impressive, that’s all I’m saying.

And for Brian…

I would say Mike’s situation was totally different. He was 37-0 when he started self-destructing and it was primarily due to personal issues.

RA

debi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 1:22 pm

First off, I specifically said this was not meant as a “slam”

Thats is what you keep saying yet you keep rambling on post after post. I never claimed to rank myself number one. I have not fought in a long time and never post how great I am.

But weather YOU like it or not I will claim to have as much skill as the top 5 fighters. and win or lose to Rox Id still make that claim. If you do not like it too bad. go whine about it somewhere else

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:24 pm
    Pro Fighter

omg people are arguing, this is hilarious. I think greatlaughter’s post is the best here.

dude I have marie’s support >:D

“It’s a good thing for Debi that the matches are fought in the ring/cage & tatame and not on paper” -is the best line ever, LOL

There is no absolute best untill someone beats everyone, Brian. 🙂

“It takes the brain longer than that to recover from concussive blows which can throw a fighters reaction and timing off considerably”- Do you actually have some scientific site you can quote? I don’t mean this to be rude, but I’m very interested in this topic and other effects fighting has on the body. (besides going home with bruises, and twisted ankles, and scrapes all the time)

Nice first response, debi. Yeah, it’s not like debi fought “nobody.” I mean, you could say I fought “nobody” before Jennifer because I fought three Japanese girls who nobody really knew about in Japan. but that wouldn’t really be fair to anyone. But I trained hard, so it seemed like I “came out of nowhere.” I’m under the impression that Debi has been training nonstop for like years. o_o Never underestimate the power of the Purcell.

Let’s not put people down or make light of their accomplishments.

“No-one is saying it’s your fault, but it’s still not fair to the other women who have been active and built up their records to just claim you are as good (or better) based on 1 win against a top 10 fighter 3 years ago. ” Sure it’s fair! It’s the facts, and shouldn’t really be a big concern I don’t think.

“As an honorable fighter you should *want* to prove yourself in the ring and respect that position.” I’m pretty sure she does.

I’m looking forward to this fight. A lot.

Last edited by Rox21 on Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rick_alexio
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 3:44 pm

lol…

I complimented you in numerous areas but also stated the “unknowns”…even Lucia, with a combined record 53-0-39 KO’s was questioned because of the inactivity, and rightly so.

Are we supposed change our viewpoints and candycoat everything only for you? I would say the same thing if you were my little sister. And I don’t see you having a problem with more blatant slamming of others like “Rox is going to get her ass kicked! blah blah blah”..when I am merely stating reasonable issues with regard to records, inactivity, and fight predictions…and there are “fight debates” routinely about every fighter, not just you.

And if you step back you will see that my whole point was actually a compliment, it’s a far greater testament to how good a fighter really is coming off a long layoff and still performing well.

Best of luck and stay healthy,

RA

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 4:14 pm
    Pro Fighter

Yeah but rick, you were saying stuff like “I think Debi is in over her head.” (which is stated as an opinion, so that’s a good thing), and then you say Debi is a natural, but then say it’s a mismatch, which is kind of contradictory to me. but it’s a mismatch only on paper, though. luckily, as seth pointed out. 😉 and you kind of imply that the unranked fighters don’t really count…and imply they are sub-par, which I suppose is something to be considered but not really fair (and now Debi gave us details about them). I actually think that if I hadn’t fought in Japan in december, my stand up wouldn’t have been as ready to face Jen in March. same thing for my first three Japanese opponants. Everybody’s a stepping stone for each other, and we’re all stepping stones for women’s mixed martial arts… *pose, silent proud moment*

*birds chirp*.

But hey, what’s a message board without discussion of who’s going to win and lose? 😛

JulesK
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:05 pm
    Pro Fighter

You know what I say? Let the FIGHTERS fight and we’ll see the results. Regardless of what you may think of Debi’s “inactivity,” I can promise you that she will bring a strong game and NONE of us will be disappointed with this fight (including you , Rox 😀 Good luck to you both!!!!).

And BTW the “stuff that happened” at the Arnold’s had NOTHING to do with Debi being unwilling to fight me or anything…I’m not sure if you misunderstood this or what rick_alexio, but it was a refusal on the part of the PROMOTER due to honest technical difficulty. He thanked us both for our willingness to step up at short notice and was very sorry the fight couldn’t happen…and whereas I was a little relieved, I’m very sorry that she wasn’t able to get a tune-up fight against a less established fighter than Rox.

IMO, this fight between Deb and Rox is EXACTLY what the sport needs…Roxanne is doing WONDERS for female fighting right now with her ability to bring out the best fighters and the best IN fighters, if you know what I mean. I may be an official Purcell-a-holic, but Rox, I have SOOOOO much respect for you!

Again, best of luck to you both and thank you for doing what you do!
    😀
    Jules

rick_alexio
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:41 pm

Rox, yes, what I meant by “in over her head” was based on no tune-up fight and coming in against a very active fighter who just beat Howe twice. Even Debi stated she was busting her ass wanting a tune-up but just couldn’t get one, so there is no accurate barometer for where she is right now and that was my point.

Training or not, being out of the ring for that period of time can put any fighter behind the eight ball. At the same time, sure, I pointed out what positive assets I feel she has, superb natural ability and being trained by one of the best points to her skill level. There was no contradiction, both factors above are separate issues. The best trained/skilled fighters can be affected by inactivity.

However, where I was wrong is trying to illustrate a point with the “Harding” analogy and did in *no way* mean to imply that they are at similar skill level. I have a lot of respect for Debi as a fighter and apologize if I gave that impression.

As for the concussive blow issue, no question I think it was a bad idea taking that fight so soon…in addition to being seriously dangerous there should be a mandatory timeframe between ring fights in women’s mma.

Here are some basic guidelines:

“How fast people recover from brain injury varies from person to person. Although most people have a good recovery, how quickly they improve depends on many factors. These factors include how severe their concussion was, what part of the brain was injured, their age, and how healthy they were before the concussion.

Rest is very important after a concussion because it helps the brain to heal. You’ll need to be patient because healing takes time. Return to your daily activities, such as work or school, at your own pace. As the days go by, you can expect to gradually feel better.

If you already had a medical problem at the time of your concussion, it may take longer for you to recover from your brain injury. Anxiety and depression may also make it harder to adjust to the symptoms of brain injury.

While you are healing, you should be very careful to avoid doing anything that could cause a blow or jolt to your head. On rare occasions, receiving another concussion before a brain injury has healed can be fatal.

Even after your brain injury has healed, you should protect yourself from having another concussion. People who have had repeated brain injuries, such as boxers or football players, may have serious problems later in life. These problems include difficulty with concentration and memory and sometimes with physical coordination.”

rick_alexio
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:46 pm

Jules…no problemo, that’s the way I understood the situation went down. And totally agree with you…all questions will get answered in the ring.

RA

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 5:52 pm
    Pro Fighter

lol I don’t think I had a concussion, though.

Thanks for clarifying all of that Rick! 🙂 Good post, Jules, Thanks a lot!!

holddown
    Post subject: deb will winPostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:33 pm

1.she is an incredibly fit and conditiioned athlete.
    2.she is naturally must stronger and built than roxi
    3.she is probably the most talented/technical fighter out there
    4.she could and would have taken everyone (erint i don’t know) over in japan.
    5.who beat rox over there?

rick_alexio
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 6:57 pm

Rox, keep in mind there are different ‘grades’ of concussions. Anytime you even catch a “buzz” from a shot those are all grade 1 and 2 concussions. So unless you never get hit, after a fight with a striker like Howe you’re walking around with multiple concussions.

RA

chad
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:05 pm

I am just happy that these 2 women have agreed to fight each other….

Everyone has their favorite and an opinion both are really liked in the sport and I know they are friends..

LETS GET IT ON!!!!!

Chad

rick_alexio
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:11 pm

holdown, for fear of a reverse lip-lock hold I won’t debate you anymore…Debi is the best. 😛

RA

BrianP
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 1:51 pm

1) Never said anyone was the best and agree with the conclusion that the best is whoever beats all else.
    2) Chill with the specifics of Tyson and being 37-0, the analogy is flawed but fits your argument well enough.
    3) I think is it absolutely fantastic that we fans get to see these talented fighters square off.
    4) Again, huge kudos to Roxy for being the most active fighter, not afraid to take on all comers and give ’em hell.
    5) It will be great to see Debi fighting again. I am sure she cant wait to get back between the ropes.
    6) Cant we all just get along?
    7) Peace, love and happiness…until the bell sounds

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?