Diaz vs. Sanchez on Spike

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

greatlaughter
    Post subject: Diaz vs. Sanchez on Spike PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 7:56 pm
    Pro Fighter

Hi all,

My boy is fighting tomorrow night. Wanted to catch your opinions. I know what mine is!! Diaz 100%.
    Don’t worry, I won’t freak if you think Sanchez will win. You’re DEAD WRONG but…no hard feelings…. 😀

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2005 11:07 pm
    Instructor

It’s a tough call whether Diaz will win by KO/TKO or submission….but I’m hoping KO!

mindfull
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 5:28 am

Diaz will KO Sanchez.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 9:46 pm
    Instructor

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr 😡

greatlaughter
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2005 11:52 pm
    Pro Fighter

Yeah. That sucked. I just feel bad that he lost THIS fight. I’ve heard that Nick may have lost the contract with the UFC because of the comment he made that “diego had some special help”. Details which I can’t get into here for fear it would further hurt Nick’s spot in the UFC but…whatever. The UFC can hand pick and hand train and spoon feed all their fighters and make lots of money and ruin the sport that is supposed to be ‘as real as it gets.’
    I love Nick. Just wondering why he decided to continue to work his ground game into the 3rd round. Awesome guard though, eh?? I lost my last $22.00.
    🙁

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:03 am
    Instructor

His guard did look great. I wish he had stood with Diego more though. It was obvious from the way Diego kept taking it to the ground that he didn’t really believe his hands were as good as Diaz’s. It was still a good fight, very entertaining…..and BLOODY – hope your boy’s alright.

greatlaughter
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:02 am
    Pro Fighter

AH, he’s fine. He lost once to Jeremy Jackson and then came back to KO him once and triangle another time. Nick will be fine. I hope there will be a rematch.

Erin T
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 9:38 am
    Pro Fighter

That was one of the greatest most evenly matched fights ever. Nick has a phenomenal guard and is legit; the problem is he relied TOO much on it. You can’t play guard in MMA like BJJ. You could see how EVERY time Diego was about to go to his back to guard position – he came to his knees and tried to get top position. The difference was he was more aggressive w/ his ground game. He attacked more and had more position. The only person IMO that can play the guard in MMA and actually get away with it is Mino. If he just played guard – NO. But he consistently attacks, attacks, attacks. He looks for sub after sub – if Nick did that, then that would have made a difference. Either way – it was great.

It was an amazing fight to watch. And I must admit, I had my money on Diaz too 😉

debi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 12:30 pm
    Fightergirls Pro Fight Team

I fell asleep and missed it darn it….

MNkkgMMA
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 2:12 pm
    Pro Fighter

As unlikeable as he is, after last night you can’t say that Diego Sanchez isn’t a talented fighter, and I’m definately not a fan, just giving a little respect where it is due.

greatlaughter
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 3:33 pm
    Pro Fighter

I don’t think Diego is really that talented a fighter. I think he is determined and his aggressive pace makes him dangerous. His take downs are great but against a tough opponant he was unable to secure position. He defended subs successfully and took Nick down successfully. He threw illegal knees which were uncalled by the refs. Nick is a.) an excellent bottom guy and b.) a great striker but he should have changed his game plan when it wasn’t working. Diego’s wresting was superior but I don’t think that makes him a better fighter. Niehter fighter did what it took to end the fight. But I’m sure Diego will round out his skills when he gets more confidence and training with his hands. Diego’s respect will be hard earned. He had a winning record to guys whose records were 60/40 (at the very best) or straight losing records. Now he’s won against a real tough kid. He progressed, but I remain largely unimpressed.

adriennaaj
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 4:27 pm
    Pro Fighter

Good pionts heather, i felt there was abunch of pionts in that fight where they should have stood them up. Diaz was doing good at trying to keep the fight active (rolling gaurd; constant position), but I think it would have made a better fight if macarhty would have taken initative.
    Just like nick said at the end “i think he had a little extra help with the fight..”

greatlaughter
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2005 5:09 pm
    Pro Fighter

Hey AJ and the rest of the community, here’s the goss…
    The UFC allegedly paid for Diego’s TRAINING (travel and all expenses) to train with Oscar De LaJolla’s conditioning coach and a bunch of other folks in order to be ready for this fight.
    And for guy’s like Nick who grew up in Stockton and got there with no hand holding, it’s just hard to swallow.
    I don’t mean to take anything away from Diego, I just think it was a biased fight with special treatment and I think 30/27 was unfair.
    You know, I’m not a Nick Diaz nut-hugger but I love the guy and he’s a phenominal fighter and he lost last night. That’s OK. Diego obviously did his homework and while Nick fought a good fight, not a winning fight.

To Diego’s credit, you can hand a guy all the lessons in the world but if he doesn’t have the determination, he won’t succeed.

I feel like, in a way, our team is training in so many different spots, it makes us weaker. For example, we have olympic wrestlers that train with us, Dave Terrell, Jake Sheilds, etc. If we were all in one spot, like we used to be – I think it could have taken a different turn. Divide and conquer, right? I’m depressed…

ciscodog
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 5:10 am

I think that although Diego won, Diaz is the better all around fighter. Diego’s ground game was shut down by Diaz, and Diego took a pounding from the top position. I’m sure we will see a rematch with a diffrent outcome.

MNkkgMMA
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:58 am
    Pro Fighter

I’m a huge Diaz fan, and I don’t think Diego is better than him, I was saying that maybe he’s not as bad as people say he is. 🙂 Lot sof people we love to hate are at the very least moderately talented athletes.

greatlaughter
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:07 am
    Pro Fighter

I agree. He’s improved.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:32 am
    Instructor

Yeah, what was with the big illegal knee that no one seemed to notice?? 😯 Everyone at my house was yelling at the TV over it.

greatlaughter
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 8:50 am
    Pro Fighter

http://www.graciefighter.com/?page=foru … d_view=set

Post fight interview….

XcashXmoneyX
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 1:41 pm
    Pro Fighter

hey, that was fight of the night. those two put on a jiu jitsu CLINIC and i had my money on nick. unfortunately it didnt go that way, but for everyone who understands groundfighting, it was a real show. he’ll bounce back.

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 7:24 pm
    Pro Fighter

Wow, I found out more good info and comments about the fight in 30 seconds by reading this thread, then by scanning threads on the Underground for 15 mins.

rollergirl
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 3:29 pm

Hey everyone, I agree with you all that Nick has more skills, but Diego won that fight fair and square. I was rooting for Diaz the whole time , I love his skills, and Diego Sanchez is from my hometown!!! But now people can’t say that Diego has never fought anyone tough, cuz he proved that he can hang with the best of em.

starbellykeith
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:51 pm

I missed the show. Was in NJ for MFC (Buckner out due to food poisoning BTW).

“I’ve heard that Nick may have lost the contract with the UFC because of the comment he made that “diego had some special help””.

I didn’t hear UFC paid for Diego’s flight and training but I’ll look into it. I heard it was Diego’s long-time sponsor in I think it is North Carolina but I may be wrong. Where did that come from? If it is true that could be construed as fraud, like in boxing where a promoter can’t be a manager of a fighter on their own show (the “Don King” rule).

Is that the ONLY reason you heard?

I read elsewhere he threw a shoe at Diego in warm-up and flipped him the bird when he entered the cage. Let’s not even go into the pre-show dispute. Also heard the crackdown on “jawwing” at your opponent while fighting was sparked by Diaz/Lawler but I haven’t heard from Diaz or Lawler directly. I love watching Nick but you have to admit he is digging his own hole.

Looking for the whole story,
    KM

greatlaughter
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:53 pm
    Pro Fighter

Nick does need to keep his mouth shut and do what he’s good at, I’ll agree there.

starbellykeith
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:58 pm

I forgot about Nick allegedly yelling profanities before their fight and accusing Diego of cheating afterwards.

Sources:

http://www.fightergirls.com

Still haven’t found anything about UFC sending Diego to training but I’ll try again when everybody in his time zone wakes up. I’m determined to give Nick the benefit of the doubt but he is looking like a loose canon at this point.

That is why I asked if what you mentioned was the ONLY reason.

KM

greatlaughter
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 7:51 am
    Pro Fighter

The profanities and insults went both ways but, typically, only one is labled the bad guy.

starbellykeith
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 8:47 pm

There are bound to be strangers reading this so I want everyone to know I have nothing but respect for Heather. I hope she does more interviews like the one she did with Amanda Buckner. I have no doubt she is correct about insults and profanity flying in both directions.

This is deviating from the thread so this will probably be my last post on the subject.

Since it was mentioned above I just wanted to post a follow-up.

I talked to Diego’s manager/trainer Greg Jackson. He confirmed it was Diego’s sponsor in South Carolina named Tim Fields that sent Diego to Rob Garcia and brought Rob to Diego’s place for two weeks. Greg states Rob is considered part of the team and helps the rest of the fighters also. When pressed about UFC’s involvement Greg denies they gave Diego any help other than signing him and says of the non-fighters the only plane ticket UFC provided was for Greg himself to corner Diego. I’ve worked with Greg for several years and trust him. I don’t know where the rumor of UFC flying Diego for training came from. He also denies the “greasing up” rumors. Full interview with Greg will be submitted to ADCC News but I can’t guarantee it will run.

Sorry for hijacking the thread, I’m moving on.

Respect and support to Heather,
    KM

KM

greatlaughter
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 9:18 pm
    Pro Fighter

Keith,
    I don’t take any of this personally. Most people who break the rules don’t want to admitt it after the fact. I’m not saying it happened for sure, but that is what is rumored, which was told to us before the fight. That could have been BS just to get Nick more upset.
    Nick is a horrible interview but he’s not a bad guy. He’s got some growing to do but he’s a great fighter. For the record, Nick never emailed Diego and he never said anything about his race. Nick is Mexican too!
    Well, I’ve exhausted myself on the subject and I’m sure the general fan base is tired of it too.
    No worries, Kieth. ONLY the people involved really know what happened.
    ???

greatlaughter
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2005 7:10 am
    Pro Fighter

From graciefighter.com… ❓

Dana White spoke with us on Thursday and was quick to assure us of the UFC’s committment to Nick Diaz.

“I don’t know where these rumors are coming from, but I can tell you that Nick Diaz is one of the most exciting fighters we have and I couldn’t be happier with him. The stuff on the internet is a bunch of crap and if you don’t here it directly from me it’s probably a lie. As a matter of fact I was so impressed with the performance of all of the fighters in the TUF Finale that I will be sending them a bonus check. Diaz’s performance and showmanship in and out of the ring is exactly what we like about him and I have never considered firing him from the UFC”

So much for the rumors…..

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?