Effects of fighting on the brain

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

J
    Post subject: Effects of fighting on the brain PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:32 am

I saw in another thread that Roxi mentioned she was looking for info on the physical effects of fighting on the brain. I’m just wondering how some of you fighters deal with this info?? As someone who was a total brainiac in school, I have always felt like my intellectual ability was one of my greatest qualities (I don’t mean for that to sound arrogant… 🙄 ) And as much as I have this strong fighting spirit, I *do* worry about the potential effects it could have on my brain – memory loss, loss of coordination, whatever. I mean, I know all the stuff about how mma is so much safer than boxing for the brain, etc. — I guess I’m just looking for more of your gut reaction to thinking about this stuff. Like Roxi – you seem to be a very studious person – how do you feel about this stuff? And everyone else??

J

Anthea
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 1:49 pm
    Pro Fighter

To tell you the truth, i don’t really think about it all that much. But then again, I’ve never been knocked out, or even to the point where i’ve *seen stars* or anything. However, as an “academically inclined” person as well, i do want my brains to last as long as they can (as i’m sure everyone does), and i think that if i got concussed more than once i would definitely have a good hard think and may retire from fighting- to me it’s just not worth it!

However in the limited research I’ve read, the opinions on the effects of fighting on the brain seem to have so much contrast it’s hard to know what to believe. So at the moment the whole ignorance thing is working just fine for me…

Anthea

DianeB
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2005 11:42 pm

IMO all contact sports carry risks, and statistics show sports such as Rugby have the most injuries.

All fighters are aware of the risks. The idea should be to minimise those risks by preparing properly for fights. Big fit enough, not dehydrating to make weight, not fighting opponents who are a lot heavier or obviously better than you are, working on defence as much as attack in the gym, the ref & corner being prepared to stop the fight for the sake of the fighter.

Looking back through history most (not all) fights that have ended with a person being brain damaged could have been prevented if the above had been followed.

colinjackson
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 5:49 am

please could you explain how dehydrating to make weight (if done properly) would put a fighter at risk… you seem to know a lot about this…

DianeB
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2005 8:21 am

Hi Colin 😆

are you be picky 😛

maybe I should have been more explicit and included (if not done properly), instead of assuming it was obvious. The fact that you’ve included the “if done properly” in your comment, shows that you understood what I was saying.

Therefore

No explaination necessary

BTW i don’t know a lot about this stuff, please educate us, if anything i’ve said in my earlier post is wrong as it was simply my opinion. 😉

XcashXmoneyX
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:58 pm
    Pro Fighter

i dont know, but i know after heavy sparring on saturday mornings im pretyt much worthless until the next day. it takes me forever to do anything at work and whatnot. hehe…oh well.

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2005 4:19 pm
    Pro Fighter

I know that by dehydrating, it somehow takes away cusioning that there is in the brain, so if you don’t rehydrate properly before a match, your brain gets rattled around more. Says my coach. Yes, I can’t spell. Yes I’m too lazy to spell check.

rick_alexio
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Apr 07, 2005 8:10 am

Consider that *all* aspects of conditioning including hydration are extremely important in avoiding injuries. Besides heat stress related injury itself, anything that weakens you during a fight leaves you more susceptible to taking shots. Unfortunately, over the years I have taken shots with everything from pool cue shafts, 40 oz bottles, to knuckles and gloves…any shot to any vital area is nothing to take lightly…just be as prepared as possible.

RA

Mark Grassman
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2005 1:37 pm
    Fightergirls elite poster

The brain doesn’t fit snugly under the skull cap. It sits suspended in fluid. By ‘suspended’, I mean that the brain in the cerebrolspinal fluid is so that it doesn’t rise to the top or sink to the bottom. Much like the white stuff in milk or blood cells in plasma, unless centrifuged. Whenever the head suddenly jerks violently in any direction, the brain bounces around inside the skull.

It could knock something loose, like a blood vessel. If that happens, oxygen doesn’t get to parts of the brain, which is particularly suseptible to the lack of oxygen. Without it, brain and nerve cells die within minutes.

I learned that in college.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?