EliteXC signs network deal with CBS

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

frankp316
    Post subject: EliteXC signs network deal with CBS Post Posted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:45 pm
    Fightergirls elite poster

This is a big deal. It’s not cable. It’s not My Network TV or even the CW. It’s going to be on CBS.

kaitlinrose
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:37 pm
    Pro Fighter

Thats really exciting…but I worry that CBS may try to alter the production….I guess we’ll just have to wait and see how it pans out! Very cool that MMA is going to be on mainstream television! 😛

Sako
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 9:12 pm

Looks like Elite XC is becoming a serious competitor to the UFC. It’s amazing how much this promotion has accomplished in one year.

Sako
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:50 pm

Gina Carano fight on CBS would be a good way to gain mainstream exposure for female mma. I wonder how many American Gladiator viewers know that “Crush” is an mma fighter.

frankp316
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:55 am

Gary Shaw of EliteXC says the first CBS show is now scheduled for May 31. They were initially talking April. He says the card is set but CBS wants to issue the press release so he won’t announce anything before then.

Fierce
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:44 am
    Pro Fighter

Sam Caplan posted:

The show is expected to take place on May 31 in New Jersey. While a specific location has not been finalized, the Prudential Center in Newark is considered the likeliest candidate to host the show. The Prudential Center is the same venue in which UFC 78 was held this past November.

It has been confirmed that the show will be headlined by Kimbo Slice against a yet to be named opponent. It is possible that the opponent has been finalized, but we have not be able to determine his identity.

While Slice’s opponent is not known, we do know that Scott Smith will be taking on Robbie Lawler in a five round fight in which Lawler’s EliteXC middleweight title will be on the line.

Gina Carano is also expected to make her return to the promotion on the show against a yet to be determined opponent. Shaw hinted as Carano’s involvement on the show while speaking during a Tuesday conference call to promote the March 29 bout between Frank Shamrock and Cung Le.
    I hope this is true, it would be great for women’s mma. Wonder who she’ll fight…

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:01 am

things are changing almost daily, that line-up will now make for a *major* CBS show which could easily rival or exceed UFC #s…hopefully the Cris/Jen fight can also be rescheduled if not for the 29th card maybe later in April….

koolpaw
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:24 am

Sam Caplan`s continued like this

“Gina Carano is also expected to make her return to the promotion on the show against a yet to be determined opponent. Shaw hinted as Carano’s involvement on the show while speaking during a Tuesday conference call to promote the March 29 bout between Frank Shamrock and Cung Le.

Based on the current configuration of EliteXC’s women’s division, Kaitlin Young and Cris Cyborg would have to be considered the leading candidates to oppose Carano on the show.”

😯

ShdwPrwler
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:03 am

I vote for Gina vs Kaitlin. Both are more noted for their striking abilities and their fight could product a female version of Bonner/Griffin and we all know what that fight did for the UFC.

Josh Barnett
    Post subject: Skrewed upPostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:28 am
    Pro Fighter

Neither Kaitlin or Cyborg have even fought in EliteXC yet but they get the chance to fight on CBS? Whether its aginst Gna or not doesn’t matter but I’ll not pretend that fighting Gina makes it a big match….which if any woman there earned the right to a big match it’s Shayna.

That being said, I figure someone else will get the fight but it won’t matter as long as Shayna can continue to get main card fights and win them. I really want to see her on a CBS show for one, whether it be aginst Gina or anyone else. Yeah it’s true that Gina is the top of their division in promotion but there are no belts on the line so it doesn’t matter as much form my perspective.

I just want Shayna to get a push as well. Gina earned her spot as a postergirl now I Just want the chance for Shayna to do the same.

Maulinator
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:45 pm
    Pro Fighter

I support Shayna vs. Gina, or vs. anyone on this show I think is complete BS that this keeps getting avoided. Shayna has more than proved herself not only in Elite but in her career as a whole, that she has earned this fight.

At least we can agree on something huh Josh? 😀

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:06 pm

well I totally agree Shayna should/has earned that spot the most of anyone, and a win over Tama would solidify that plus she’s ranked the highest and I think that matchup could be the most competitive and beneficial for both Gina and Shayna win or lose. then Julie post-Jackson camp who was evidently promised a rematch at some point, also Tonya who just beat Julie deserves another shot. the only issue I see is the deviation made going to AG and what kind of conditioning she can get into between the end of the final AG taping and the new CBS card date. an opponent choice may be delayed until they can get an accurate gauge on that. either way I believe Shayna, Tonya, Julie, Kaitlin and various others will all be in line for great matchups win or lose and the build up will only increase every show, so whoever ends up first won’t really matter….
    Last edited by GFC on Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ShdwPrwler
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:10 pm

I too want to see Shayna and Gina fight, just not on the first CBS show. Why? Because a Shayna/Finney or Shayna/Tate replay where Shayna taps out her opponent in 30 seconds isn’t the introduction the general public needs to women’s MMA. Styles make fights and I think Shayna is far too skilled on the ground, at this point, to make an exciting fight with Gina. Of course, ground skills are part of the game and Gina is going to have to step up and fight the elite fighters soon, but I don’t think the very first CBS show is the place.

The reason I think a Gina vs Kaitlin fight makes more sense is because they both are more known as strikers and seem more evenly matched at this point in their careers. Plus, a female version of Bonner/Griffin or even another Gina/Julie type fight will definitely do a lot more for women’s MMA then a 30 second tapout……at least for the first show.

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:26 pm

well Gina is not at all Jan or Jen (who was also high on THC) so I don’t see those as anything even close to the same level or indicators. Gina sub-d Tonya who’s extremely well skilled and experienced ground and showed excellent bjj skills and defense already, Rosi is also one of the very top ground girls about as elite as it gets def in Shayna’s league, also Julie quite ground experienced. btw Elaina Maxwell also extremely experience and underrated most people don’t realize. in addition to previous 17-1 bjj record was a 3-time San Shou champ with a 14-1 record including wins over Julie Kedzie and quite a few other excellent fighters. so I think Shayna actually matches up perfectly in that line of progression…however, I also agree with you that Kaitlin would make for a great (more mainstream audience friendly) matchup based on the standup and both being premier strikers, so I see your point. but we’ll just have wait and see who ends up first…

koolpaw
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:32 pm

Oh but hey, u guys dont see something strange?

Kaitlin and Shayna are at 140 lbs class on EliteXC

Cyborg was scheduled to fight at 150 , right?

when i read Sam`s article, i felt like
    ” huh? that TV star will fight at which class??”

If its at 140, Shayna should be the first.

Kaitline needs few more fights and experiences to challenge Shayna anyways. I hope her Dojo (Gym?) wont rush for instant fame.

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:35 pm

huh? nope Cris Cyborg was scheduled to fight Jen Case at 140, which I feel is better for both and stacks that division…

i do agree Shayna deserves the CBS fight as much as anyone and matches up very well with Gina considering the transition progression…however, the deviation to AG obviously is a factor reducing the progress of where her ground game would have been by now if that had been a main focus during this time. while I understand and agree it was a good promotional move for the sport/her to gain additional mainstream exposure (and suppose she’s now ranked #1 in giant Q-tip jousting) but by the same token sacrificed about 8 months of ground training and sport specific “fight conditioning” time. Shayna is already scheduled to fight Tama and they may want to build hype for Shayna/Gina on a subsequent CBS show, but a lot could change from now to the end of May so we’ll see…

as for Kaitlin, based on her performance level I believe she is already a strong threat to beat anyone. you’re prob right tho had she transitioned a bit more gradually may have remained undefeated on the rise up but that’s water under the bridge and don’t feel it takes much away, other than the undefeated factor…which, since is no longer an issue don’t think it matters who she fights anymore. I’m quite sure that will only motivate filling those holes in the ground defense/arsenal even quicker and kudos to Sarah S who’s obviously yet another rising force to be reckoned with…

koolpaw
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 2:00 am

wow , so that the news about the card was not miss printing.

things are getting fishy, coz i had another info(rumor) about their female division in Japanese. Now i want to know why Jen canceled the fight.

Seemed Cyborg vs. Case was pulled out b4 the VISA trouble of Cris Cyborg from the info i got .

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 5:45 am

hmmm….cannot confirm anything yet then, but that was what was officially released all over here in the States….

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?