EliteXC tried to get Tara

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  chad m 2 years, 10 months ago.

• Author

Keymaster

koolpaw
    Post subject: EliteXC tried to get Tara Post Posted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:53 pm

quick news
    Exclusive: EliteXC offers contract to women’s champion Tara LaRosa

“ProElite. (Sam Caplan ProElite) has learned that BodogFIGHT Women’s Champion Tara LaRosa recently received a contract offer from EliteXC.

The news was confirmed by sources within EliteXC and also a representative from LaRosa’s camp.

While EliteXC was unable to confirm, LaRosa’s representative revealed that she has received a three fight offer from the promotion. However, a deal does not appear imminent as LaRosa was said to be unsatisfied with the initial offer.

LaRosa, who sports a lifetime record of 15-1, became a free agent after fulfilling the last fight on her contract with Bodog following a second round submission over Cody Welchin during a fight for the HOOKnSHOOT promotion on November 24.

LaRosa, who holds the Bodog Women’s title at 135 pounds, accepted the fight with Welchin at 125 pounds. The bout vs. Welchin was a non-title match.

If LaRosa were to sign with EliteXC, it could lead to a marquee matchup with Gina Carano, who has been promoted as the female face of MMA by the company.

Sam Caplan

Lead Writer/Editor – ProElite

uh oh? at least Tara didnt accept the contract this time.

chad
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Dec 06, 2007 4:33 pm
    Fightergirls elite poster

That sounds like a good offer but I have talked with elite and they don’t really want to pay much.. Gina is making $50,000.00 or more per fight so I hope that Tara does get the same payday that Gina gets… Also watch the contract because they try to say that they need to build the fighter and then offer low pay!

I hope Tara holds out for the $$ this will help women get the pay they deserve

Chad

Maybe Tara or someone can give us the details

Sako
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:13 pm

IMO Elite XC made a mistake by picking Gina to be the “face for women’s mma”. She’s been only doing mma for one year and only had 5 fights. But because they hyped her up so much, everyone now wants her to fight Tara LaRosa, Debi Purcell, Erin Toughill etc. Elite XC got themselves in hot water by promoting Gina like she’s Chuck Liddell without giving her a chance to develop and truly establish herself in mma. Most of the fighters fans want Gina to fight are way out of her league. Elite XC put themselves in a position where they would either have to throw Gina to the wolves against a top ranked fighter in order to have a legitimately competitive women’s division or continually feed her subpar opponents. It seems like they’re going with the latter.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:30 pm
    Instructor

chad wrote:
    Also watch the contract because they try to say that they need to build the fighter and then offer low pay!
    They would have to be crazy to say this to the 135lb. Bodog champ. I think that Tara would be deserving of as big a payday as Gina.

Sako
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 3:54 pm

Rikki wrote:
    chad wrote:
    Also watch the contract because they try to say that they need to build the fighter and then offer low pay!
    They would have to be crazy to say this to the 135lb. Bodog champ. I think that Tara would be deserving of as big a payday as Gina.
    So does Debi Purcell, and you know how that fallout went.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 12:09 am
    Instructor

Sako wrote:
    So does Debi Purcell, and you know how that fallout went.
    At least with Debi they could make the excuse that her fights had not been televised. I don’t think they can get away with saying that to the champ of a widely known promotion.

chad
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2007 7:13 am

Rikki,
    I totally agree with what you are saying and I want Tara to hold out for the $$.. Maybe we can get some news on this??

Chad

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 1:01 pm

yeah i agree Tara should hold out for at least as much or more than Bodog was paying. but have to also keep in mind Gina is likely getting paid for more than just the fights.

a large portion of that $$ could easily be based on her proven drawing power (numbers) since she was already very popular and successful even before MMA from her career in Muay Thai, Fight Girls movie, television, being a raw new transitioning talent, premier striker (which is an audience favorite) etc, etc. and so she brings in huge viewer numbers with that aspect (in fact she’s more popular than any male fighters at Elite) that’s what an org like Showtime would be about and what any extra pay could easily account for. no other female fighters outside of ‘maybe’ Laila or Lucia transitioning would have near that kind of drawing power and i could easily see how they could command even more $$ if they transitioned and that would be understandable, would it be fair? no, but still understandable. even in other sports NFL, NBA, etc. often many younger draft picks sign for much larger contracts than veterans, that’s common even without them having the extra drawing/endorsement power or potential.

hey when Germaine (or anyone else) transitions in and if HBO offers her 75k per fight based on her previous kickboxing status and popularity that’s just how it goes…and, if they see marketing potential and offer it to her how could she possibly be blamed for taking it? the 3 fight deals (at least in part) are no doubt to see what kind of numbers the other girls can generate, then maybe increasing pay could be based on their numbers and how each girl stands with their audience as they build up over those 3 fights, then whoever wins should get more of that given fight purse imo, plus maybe a performance bonus “fight of the night”..etc.

so yes i think she should hold out for a reasonable amount, but not so rigid that it keeps the fights from getting made, because then they may just wait for the other great young transitioning girls, Germaine, Julia Budd, Kaitlin Young, Sarah Kaufman, Kerry Vera, Cris Cyborg, others 😉 giving them opportunities instead first, then the hype and promotional stock with some of the current potential matchups may start diminishing their interest and marketing value.

Sako
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 2:42 pm

GFC wrote:
    yeah i agree Tara should hold out for at least as much or more than Bodog was paying. but have to also keep in mind Gina is likely getting paid for more than just the fights.

a large portion of that $$ could easily be based on her proven drawing power (numbers) since she was already very popular and successful even before MMA from her career in Muay Thai, Fight Girls movie, television, being a raw new transitioning talent, premier striker (which is an audience favorite) etc, etc. and so she brings in huge viewer numbers with that aspect (in fact she’s more popular than any male fighters at Elite) that’s what an org like Showtime would be about and what any extra pay could easily account for. no other female fighters outside of ‘maybe’ Laila or Lucia transitioning would have near that kind of drawing power and i could easily see how they could command even more $$ if they transitioned and that would be understandable, would it be fair? no, but still understandable. even in other sports NFL, NBA, etc. often many younger draft picks sign for much larger contracts than veterans, that’s common even without them having the extra drawing/endorsement power or potential.

hey when Germaine (or anyone else) transitions in and if HBO offers her 75k per fight based on her previous kickboxing status and popularity that’s just how it goes…and, if they see marketing potential and offer it to her how could she possibly be blamed for taking it? the 3 fight deals (at least in part) are no doubt to see what kind of numbers the other girls can generate, then maybe increasing pay could be based on their numbers and how each girl stands with their audience as they build up over those 3 fights, then whoever wins should get more of that given fight purse imo, plus maybe a performance bonus “fight of the night”..etc.

so yes i think she should hold out for a reasonable amount, but not so rigid that it keeps the fights from getting made, because then they may just wait for the other great young transitioning girls, Germaine, Julia Budd, Kaitlin Young, Sarah Kaufman, Kerry Vera, Cris Cyborg, others 😉 giving them opportunities instead first, then the hype and promotional stock with some of the current potential matchups may start diminishing their interest and marketing value.
    What if Kyra Gracie decided to get into MMA, wouldn’t she fit under the same catagory as a transitioning fighter. If Elite XC promoted her well and build her up, she can easily become just as big of a draw as Gina Carano.

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 3:01 pm

absolutely agree, *great* point…and i would still say in the same respect Kyra should work on her standup and be allowed to build up and transition in the same way. her ground is so good that’s not to say she couldn’t still possibly beat any top fighter right off the bat, it’s just completely stupid not to at least acclimate her first several fights. excellent example very similar transition situation only from the opposite spectrum…ground/standup. the only other difference i’d say is Gina has had more of the previous and current mainstream exposure, television, etc. so still the top female fighter in terms of drawing viewer numbers…but, other than that yes very similar situation. and i have said this before, there is unlimited room for (and our sport needs) many “Carano’s” just like there are already on the men’s side…

Sako wrote:
    What if Kyra Gracie decided to get into MMA, wouldn’t she fit under the same catagory as a transitioning fighter. If Elite XC promoted her well and build her up, she can easily become just as big of a draw as Gina Carano.

chad
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 5:18 pm

Just remember that Elite’s 3 fight deal is BULL!! Julie Kedzie is a great example were she was released from her contract.

Be careful what you sign now a days!

chad
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 6:26 pm

Stole this from Koolpaws post!

This is well said Tara!!

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:45 am

totally, have to agree with Tara much respect and well said…

but hey this issue is something Gina already admitted to herself publicly post-fight with Tonya. and i’ve even gotten hammered with calls/emails about being critical about her conditioning but guess what? she is in a position reppin the sport and the lack of conditioning gaining/cutting that much over and over is also hurting herself. hey if Gina didn’t give a f about fighting or the sport fine then i wouldn’t care but she has stated she does so in that case IMO she should do whatever it takes to motivate her discipline. as for 135, 140, or whatever agreed upon weight to me it doesn’t really matter just MAKE THE DAMN WEIGHT and more importantly ‘how’ it is made should be a healthy normal cut not that kind of semicomatose last minute struggle no matter where it ends up at…

koolpaw
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 3:36 pm

Sam Caplan: Gina Carano is going to appear in the upcoming revival of American Gladiators on NBC under the name “Crush.” Did she consult with EliteXC before signing on to do the show?

Gary Shaw: Well, that’s a legal question. I don’t want to discuss that specific question. But if we can work out everything then I think it could be great for Gina. I’m a big, big fan of hers; a big fan of her family’s. I think it would help in her career both on television and in mixed martial arts. I know she wants to get back into the cage, she’s told me that on several occasions. It will just give her a lot more visibility (and) I hope we can work out everything in front of us.

Sam Caplan: What things need to be worked out?

Gary Shaw: I never discuss legal issues or money issues in the press.

Sam Caplan: You mentioned that Gina has told you she wants to get back in the cage. Is there a specific date where you think she might appear again?

Gary Shaw: I think somewhere between February and April.

Sam Caplan: Is EliteXC doing anything right now to bring in additional female fighters?

Gary Shaw: Yes, absolutely. January 25 in Atlantic City we’re going to (promote) Tonya Evinger again. We have Shayna Baszler and we’re looking for more great female fighters.

Sam Caplan: A fighter I believe you might be speaking with is Tara LaRosa. I spoke to a representative of hers who confirmed that she had received an offer from EliteXC. Is that correct?

Gary Shaw: Yeah, I did want to sign her but I think there were some problems and that she was not ready to fight at this time. Or, so I was told.

Sam Caplan: If LaRosa did sign with EliteXC, what weight class do you have in mind?

Gary Shaw: I never have a weight class in mind for a fighter. The fighter tells me where they’re comfortable. I don’t force anyone into a specific weight class.

well, i dont think Josh would let Shyna fight at “Gina`s weight calass” ,

So… i am already sick of this. getting sounds like “Tyson will fight in K-1”, “Kurt someone the former champ of pro-wrestling is thinking to fight MMA”,

why dont we leave that TV star alone? EliteXC is OK if they would keep to have female division of common 135 lbs class with Shyna, Tonya or other good fighters.

2 interviews Sam has done made it clear.

Sako
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 4:39 pm

Didn’t Shayna fight Jan Finney at 140? I don’t think Josh will have a problem as long as both fighters make the agreed upon weight, regardless of if it’s 140, 135, or 130. I personally think that either Gina should make the 135 weight class or she should fight 145. And the same thing does for Nick Diaz, he should either make 155 or stay at 170. If he’s a small welterweight that can’t make 155, then he should start pumping iron.

Josh Barnett
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:56 pm
    Pro Fighter

As it sits there are no actual female MMA weight classes as defined by an athletic commission. 135lbs is something that has just been accepted as the norm but actually, you could make any weight class you wish.

I don’t have an issue ith a 140, 130, 120 etc weight classes for EliteXC if that’s what they want to do. Its their promotion. My fighters will fined their spot in that line up.

Shayna would have no problem fighting Gina at 140lbs. In fact, I have Shayna on a intense weight training program right now and the next time you see her in the ring expect an even bigger and leaner Shayna. When Ginele started full-time training with me she was 133lbs lean and never really had to cut. Now she walks around at 142-144lbs with abs.

Many women can make big strides in muscular developement because they never put the time in weight training before. Untapped potential Id say.

Josh

Sako
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 8:14 pm

Josh Barnett wrote:
    As it sits there are no actual female MMA weight classes as defined by an athletic commission. 135lbs is something that has just been accepted as the norm but actually, you could make any weight class you wish.

I don’t have an issue ith a 140, 130, 120 etc weight classes for EliteXC if that’s what they want to do. Its their promotion. My fighters will fined their spot in that line up.

Shayna would have no problem fighting Gina at 140lbs. In fact, I have Shayna on a intense weight training program right now and the next time you see her in the ring expect an even bigger and leaner Shayna. When Ginele started full-time training with me she was 133lbs lean and never really had to cut. Now she walks around at 142-144lbs with abs.

Many women can make big strides in muscular developement because they never put the time in weight training before. Untapped potential Id say.

Josh
    I always thought that Ginelle would be a monster fighting at 125, didn’t she weigh in at 127 for the Megumi Yabushita fight?

debi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:10 am
    Fightergirls Pro Fight Team

I have a problem with it,
    When a whole divsion or weight class is built around ONE person. But who really cares.I would fight her at 140 also LOL.. I hope Shayna actually gets the chance. She deserves it

ShdwPrwler
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 9:02 am

chad wrote:
    Just remember that Elite’s 3 fight deal is BULL!! Julie Kedzie is a great example were she was released from her contract.

Be careful what you sign now a days!

Apparently, she wasn’t released from her contract or maybe they just re-signed her because she is fighting for them again. This was posted on ADCC News site. ( I believe the date should be the 25th, not 28th)

ShoXC
    Taj Mahal, Atlantic City, NJ
    January 28, 2008

140lbs – Julie Kedzie (Indiana) 9-6 vs. Tonya Etinger (Maryland) 5-3

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:20 pm

*great* matchup…tough call.
    ShdwPrwler wrote:

Apparently, she wasn’t released from her contract or maybe they just re-signed her because she is fighting for them again. This was posted on ADCC News site. ( I believe the date should be the 25th, not 28th)

ShoXC
    Taj Mahal, Atlantic City, NJ
    January 28, 2008

140lbs – Julie Kedzie (Indiana) 9-6 vs. Tonya Etinger (Maryland) 5-3

Josh Barnett
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:25 am
    Pro Fighter

Sako wrote:
    Josh Barnett wrote:

Josh
    I always thought that Ginelle would be a monster fighting at 125, didn’t she weigh in at 127 for the Megumi Yabushita fight?
    Nope. Around 134lbs after cutting 2 pounds due to monthly water. She would ber perfect for a 130lbs division if EliteXC wanted to go that way or she can be a top fighter at 135lbs as well. Either way she will doing big things.

Josh Barnett
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 12:37 am
    Pro Fighter

debi wrote:
    I have a problem with it,
    When a whole divsion or weight class is built around ONE person. But who really cares.I would fight her at 140 also LOL.. I hope Shayna actually gets the chance. She deserves it
    You care!

But the way I see it I don’t care where the opportunities come from as long as my fighters are able to take advantage of them. Gina has done alot whether she meant to or not and I am glad for the expanded opportunities for women for it. Plus I know her and think she’s great as a representitive and a cool person.

Shayna will get to the top career wise with or without a fight with Gina and her career doesn’t hinge on that match. I agree in that it would be a great high profile fight but more importantly is that Shayna make her own stardom than try and get it from Gina. I think Shayna’s the bomb and she will be a legend in time!

So, WW gonna have a 140lb division? LOL. Merry Xmas.

Sako
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 6:45 pm

Realistically, if Gina is not fighting Shayna, who is she gonna fight next? Both Gina and Shayna have beaten every other female fighter on the Elite XC roster. It wouldn’t make sense for this fight not to happen.

Josh Barnett
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:33 pm
    Pro Fighter

Sako wrote:
    Realistically, if Gina is not fighting Shayna, who is she gonna fight next? Both Gina and Shayna have beaten every other female fighter on the Elite XC roster. It wouldn’t make sense for this fight not to happen.
    Sense and reality aren’t exclusive in this business. One doesn’t even usually influence the other.

Shayna is awesome and will show awesome-ness whether it be against Gina or anyone else. Gina will shine in her way as well. It would be killer for them to fight for the title of the 140lb class in EliteXC but that won’t be what makes or breaks Shayna. She can stand on her own two feet.

ShdwPrwler
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:40 am

Josh Barnett wrote:
    Shayna is awesome and will show awesome-ness whether it be against Gina or anyone else. Gina will shine in her way as well. It would be killer for them to fight for the title of the 140lb class in EliteXC but that won’t be what makes or breaks Shayna. She can stand on her own two feet.
    True, but to be the fighter that knocks Gina off in front of a national audience would be a HUGE boost for that fighters career, so why not have Shayna “call out” Gina after her next win? The interviewer always asks, “what’s next for you?”, so why not say, “I want Gina Carano. She’s beaten everyone Elite has put in front of her and I’ve beaten everyone they have put in front of me, so I think its time we fought each other” or something along those lines.

Sako
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:16 pm

Are there any possible match ups between Gina and girls with similar records and experience that Elite XC would be willing to consider?

adriennaaj
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:15 pm
    Pro Fighter

I agree with josh on the wieghts- I think it depends on your body type; but it can really get neglected in part of your fight training. I think some women worry about possibly getting to big- or heavy muscle- to make thier wieght class. But with the right trainer (as in shayna’s scenerio) It can really add to your arsenal. You just have to dedicate the extra time to it- feed and take care of your earned muscle, and make sure you get your cardio in as well. Shaya does look great this year too;)

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?