Erin’s TV fight

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

tofu
    Post subject: Erin’s TV fightPostPosted: Thu Sep 02, 2004 10:44 pm

Saw Erin Toughill’s win over Cassandra Geiger on television the other day. Congratulations on the win and on getting televised Erin. However, I do have one question/criticism. The protective cup you were wearing rode all the way up to your sports bra. This pretty much took away any chance of your opponent landing effectively to your body. Obviously that makes things easier for you but boxing rules as I understand them say that you should have no protection above the navel. Now I realize that you are far from the first fighter to wear a high cup and I’m not trying to single you out, but you are one of the few fighters that posts frequently on a forum that I’m aware of so I thought I might get a response from you. Is there some other reason that I’m missing for you or other fighters to wear high cups? Do you feel that they compromise the fairness of the fight or do you think that as long as you can get away with it it’s ok? I’m not trying to be rude here but I really would like to hear a fighters perspective on the matter.
    Erik

Erin T
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 8:34 am
    Pro Fighter

Hmmmm, well, I never thought it rode THAT high. And if the ref does not say anything, then there is no problem. She never went to my body anyways so I guess i could have gone w/ out it. Ali, Wolfe and Mahfood (all in my divsion) consistently wear their cups much higher then mine. I think it depends on the ref. But no one has ever said anything before.

I also have the option of not wearing one in the first place. But I train w/ it so I am just used to it. Does not bother me………………….

tofu
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 5:06 am

You’re absolutely right. I’ve noticed the same thing on Ali, Wolfe, and Mafood. Your division is definately the worst on this subject as far as women’s boxing is concerned. Like I said, I’m not trying to single you out. DeLaHoya, Hopkins and countless other men have been doing it for a while. It’s a trend that’s just kind of annoying from a fan’s perpective, though I would imagine it would be more annoying for you fighters. One guy gets it and the opponent decides they’ve got to have it so the other guy doesn’t have an unfair advantage. I’m guessing this is why they make them high to begin with. I read once that Grant was the first company to manufacture the higher cups and Holyfield, in his first fight with Tyson, was the first to wear it. Then Holyfield complained a couple fights later when Lewis wore a cup that came up to his chest. The article said that most referees just let it go unless there is a specific complaint from a fighter’s opponent.

It sounds like what you’re saying is that in your case, when you bought your cup it is not something you took into account. I know it sucks to put down more money for new equiptment but if there’s any chance that you may go for a more regulation size in the future that would be awesome. You should make the statement that you don’t need any unfair advantage to be a force in your division even if your opponents think they do. Thanks for your response anyway.
    Erik

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?