Eve of destruction ( credit Full Contact Fighter )

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

FightingFury44
    Post subject: Eve of destruction ( credit Full Contact Fighter )PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:23 pm

< CREDIT TO FULL CONTACT FIGHTER FOR THE REPORT >

In the world of women’s mixed martial arts, Roxanne Modafferi’s win over Jennifer Howe was as big of an upset as Buster Douglas stopping Mike Tyson in boxing.
    Howe was seemingly unbeatable, building a perfect 12-0 record over 6 years of competition. Impressive and consecutive knockout victories over top fighters Amanda Buckner, Tara LaRosa and Judy Neff had earned her world titles at both 125 and 135 pounds and made finding opponents difficult.
    “We had six straight fights fall through … all less than a week before the shows… it was very frustrating for Jen,” said manager Monte Cox. “We were only able to get one fight in over a year’s time… it made it hard for Jen to keep training hard, only to have fight after fight fall through.”
    The annual Hook N Shoot women’s event appeared to follow suit, as Howe’s Japanese opponent Yuka Tsuji took more than a month demanding Howe reach lower and lower weight limits. Howe agreed to all the demands, only to have Tsuji pull out a little over a week before the show.
    “Jen didn’t think she was going to fight… it had happened so many times before… and honestly she didn’t train hard for the show,” Cox said. “When Roxanne accepted the fight, it was awesome… she was an unknown, but stepped up where most would not. Jen was really surprised when I told her she had a fight.”
    Modafferi fought out of trouble most of the first round and took control in the second and third rounds to capture a unanimous decision and hand Howe her first-ever defeat.
    The loss has not sat well with Howe, who is “training harder than I ever have” for the rematch that is scheduled Saturday, March 5, at IFC’s “Eve of Destruction” event in Howe’s hometown of Salt Lake City, Utah. Howe’s IFC middleweight title (135) will be on the line.
    “I’m not going to take anything away from Roxanne, she beat me and I’ve put that behind me,” Howe said. “But I’m confident things will be different this time… I’ve had time to prepare and I’ll be in the best shape of my life. It should be an exciting fight.”
    The rematch, scheduled for five 5-minute rounds, will headline the 14-fight show at the 12,000-seat E-Center. Modafferi, from Adams, Mass., will also be coming off her first defeat… a controversial decision loss to Megumi Yabushita in the semifinals of the huge ReMix tournament in Japan.
    Two other title fights are scheduled on the card: Jimmy “The Titan” Ambriz faces Kerry “Meat Truck” Schall for the IFC Super Heavyweight crown, while Cole Escovedo takes on Randy Spence for the IFC lightweight title.
    The International card also features Pancrase star Daisuki Ishii of Japan and UFC veterans Joe Doerksen of Canada and Jeff Curran of Chicago. Veteran Tom Sauer of Florida and newcomer Spencer Fisher of Iowa are also on the card.
    The event is being promoted by IFC Caged Combat Ltd and fights will take place in the IFC’s 30-foot steel cage. Doors open at 6:30 p.m. with the first bout at 7:30 p.m. Advance tickets start at $25 and are available at http://www.smithstix.com, the E-Center box office and all SmithsTix outlets. To charge by phone call 800-888-TIXX.

< CREDIT TO FULL CONTACT FIGHTER FOR THE REPORT >

http://www.fightergirls.com

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?