female input needed for rules

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

Rox21
    Post subject: female input needed for rules PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:05 pm
    Pro Fighter

I’m reposting this from The Underground:

From Ethan Boyle:
    Last edited:20-Apr-06 08:34 PM

Female fighters, their trainers, managers, and corner people, I’m meeting with the N.D. Secretary of States office and the ND MMA Commission on Saturday to go over the proposed rules and regulations that are to come into effect in North Dakota.

I need input on the following:

At weigh in’s, is there a reason for either a “breast” or “pelvis” exam to check for “masses”?

Quote:”2. The examination shall include the following: …

k. for female participant’s pelvis and the breasts with notation of any masses.”

then in the same section is:

“l. A female participant must submit to an Early Pregnancy Testing (EPT) and will not be allowed to fight during a menstrual period;”

Also, what is your opinion on this:

“72-02.2-01.1-17 Proper Appearance and Attire.

8. Female participants shall wear a breast protector and groin protector and male participants shall wear a protection cup;”

If you would rather, you can email your responses to me at ethanboyle@cableon.net
    Thanks a lot

MNkkgMMA
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:20 pm
    Pro Fighter

Dude Ethan, WTF? I know you, and your wife fights. Would you realy want her having to get felt up and a pelvic before a fight?

Breast/groin protectors no…
    Breast and pelvic exams… Hell no! Do the men have to “turn their heads and cough” during their physicals?
    Not letting women fight durring their menses…WTF? (unless there is some prior diagnosis of severe PMDD psycosis)
    That’s offensive and ignorant.

Pregnancy tests… YES.
    Dress code… I’m on the fence…. On one hand I think people should be ableto wear wha ever they want.. on the other hand…. In my third fight I had my sports bra top pulled down on one side and I was exposed on the JUMBO-tron at a major convention center.
    I don’t think anyone should be allowed to fight in a loose t-shirt or Denim.

AnnaTrocity
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:15 pm
    less internet

Last edited by AnnaTrocity on Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

luvmachine
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:16 pm

umm, actually guys do have to have hernia checks (the cough reference) before fights.

I doubt they’re checking for testicular cancer so a pelvic exam seems biased.

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 10:29 pm
    Pro Fighter

In BOSTON? Whoa wtf

Rosi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 12:10 am
    Pro Fighter

I’d like to see the rationale behind those suggestions.

Can’t really see any valid reason for a breast or pelvic exam.

I certainly don’t see any reason not to allow women to fight during a menstrual period.

I also reckon breast and/or groin protectors should be up to the competitor.

debi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:45 am
    Fightergirls Pro Fight Team

I have to agree with Kelly,

Although I do think a dress code could not hurt. 1. No tennis shoes, 2. No jeans or street clothes.

As for the groining protector they made us wear one in Japan, I did not like it, yes you can get kneed there and crack it however I am just as likely to get kneed or get cracked in the face, ribs and everywhere else on my body, and it was uncomfortable to me

As for the breast protectors I actually think they can do more harm then good. I cannot imagine grappling with one on ever.

I would not let someone give me a breast exam at weigh ins. (that is a personal choice as to what doc feels around my breast)

Definitely YES on the pregnancy test

lol @ not being able to fight on your period, that is the best rule iv heard yet, besides Id rather fight on my period then when im pmsing 🙄

MNkkgMMA
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:01 am
    Pro Fighter

I have been on a team of 98% males for the last 4 years. In that time our team has had over 100 fights. Not a single one has had their genitals touched in a prefight pysical. That’s not exclusive to the smaller shows we participate in on a bi-monthly basis. We have had guys fight on some pretty large shows, Ring of Fire, ICC, Shooto, Hook n’ Shoot….etc.

I would think that if any of the medical suggestions got passed, that smaller shows would go under with the increased medical expenses, or that there wouldnt be any women fighting on any shows at all. To have a breast and pelvic exam done there would have to be a gynecologist there. That would probably cost a whole lot more than the EMT that is hired for 99% of the shows I’ve been at. The other 1% of the shows were split between nurses, and chiropractors, being the only medical staff. And neither should be performing any special exams on the women.

Maulinator
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:47 am
    Pro Fighter

Please tell me they are kidding. IMO there is no need for anything on that list except for the pregnancy test, which is usually pretty standard.

Examination for masses is outright inappropriate prior to a fight, and even is there was something I don’t think a fight would affect it.

HA! No fighting during a menstrual period… please 🙄 I would be curious to know the reasoning behind this one though. Here’s one they should add though – a 5 pound weight break if you are PMSing and bloated and can’t drop water weight 😛

Personally, I see no reason to wear a groin or breast protector for a women. I would hate being forced to wear that, it gets in the way.

Has there ever been any serious injury caused to a woman in a fight that caused any requirement for groin or breast protector? I have never experienced any injury to those areas (no less than any other part of the body anyway)

For appearance and attire – that one I think is a personal decision. Whatever you are comfortable with as long as it is appropriate for fighting I guess. No loose t-shirts. Personally i am terrified of one of the girls popping out, so I usually have like 2 sports bras, a rash guard and shorts under my shorts. Shit – even the men have problems with thier clothes falling off sometimes.

Things that should be included are:
    Training
    Nails to be cut VERY short.
    Hair must be completely secured.
    No scrunchies or make-up in the ring 😉

Pankration_MuayThai
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 10:10 pm
    Pro Fighter

Here, we need to have a medical exam done by our doctor saying we’re in good health to fight. But I would refuse one at a weigh in.

Chest/groin protectors-optional. I wear both. I’ve nursed 2 babies, so getting hit in the chest really hurts, and causes them to swell bad enough that I couldn’t train if I didn’t wear one. I wear the groin protector now too after getting an elbow there one while wrestling for an arm bar. But I think that it should be optional.

Pregnancy test- shouldn’t be necessary, but it’s not that big of a deal.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:11 am
    Instructor

Everyone has pretty much expressed my feelings already. I understand the pregnancy test, I would even be okay if a doctor had to sign off on your health beforehand (your doctor, not theirs). Breast and pelvic exams are outrageous…I would refuse to fight before letting their “doctor” feel me up.

As far as chest and groin protectors go, I think it should be optional. I got kneed in the groin during my fight, and yes it bruised…but not nearly as bad as my face! I would still choose not to wear groin protection.

It’s my opinion that the more rules they affix to female MMA the less seriously we’ll be taken. The next thing you know we won’t be allowed to hit each other in the face because “we’re just girls”.

Randori
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 1:17 am

Really, has menstruation EVER been an issue during a fight ? I must have missed that DVD. I would have to vote that fighters should not be checked for anything of the sort prior to a match.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?