fightergirls magazine publication

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

Rox21
    Post subject: fightergirls magazine publication PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 10:54 am
    Pro Fighter

We at fightergirls are considering starting a published magazine, like those you see out there: Grappling, black belt, bodyguard, etc. except it’ll be about women’s martial arts and competitions.

I figure we need the following:
    writers, photographers, sponsors, reporters, those who know anything about putting together a publication

It would be good to have people from all over the world. U.S. east coast, west coast, central and the mid west U.S., Europe/UK, Asia, Australia, New Zealand, Asia, Brazil, *insert your country/regions here* etc. Multi-lingual individuals would be appreciated.

Topics would be:
    technique pages, nutrition/diet ideas and research, reports on competitions (Muay thai, Judo, boxing, grappling, mma, TKD, whatever), maybe essays, interviews with famous fighters or promotors even, *insert your idea here*

Am I missing something? Debi?

I’m an east coast girl, but I’ll probably be living in Japan at the end of the year, so I can help cover that end of news, plus I speak Japanese. Anybody else have any suggestions?
    If you’d like to contact us directly, my email is Roxanne.modafferi@gmail.com and Debi, you post which one you want to use.

scarce
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 11:20 am
    Fightergirls elite poster

all you need are good quality photos ..thats all

writing content..

is too hard for me to understand

ps. the scarcester rocks….

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 12:20 pm

You need a good gameplan for attracting sponsors/advertisers.

I would like to advertise in it.
    When it is close to going into production, let me know.

Boudicca
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 5:17 pm
    Pro Fighter

I think that’s a fantastic idea! 8) I’d love to help if you need anything from Texas.

debi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2005 7:57 pm
    Fightergirls Pro Fight Team

debi@fightergirls.com

or msfightergirl@aol.com

Please if ANYone has ANY exp. in this area. we are VERY serious of doing this. to my knowledge there is not a female fight mag out right now. that is active. and this could really help us all along. into mainstream.

rick_alexio
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:46 am

Just a few suggestions…

It’s a great idea, but you should consider doing an online-magazine, at least as a first project. This way you can get the format/layout of publication down, link directly to this and many other MMA websites to create a solid customer base.

Or, you could just redesign this site into a web-zine format. Start taping some of your training sessions, get some behind the scenes footage and photos, interviews, etc.

You could then charge a nominal subscription fee and still make a much larger profit than any newsstand mag. Those which do still make any profits are big league ad-supported and have an extremely wide distribution market.

Then, when your rolling and comfortable with the format, are getting some decent revenue and can show numbers to prospective ad-sponsors, then a transition to a publication “for affect” would be much easier and create a greater impact.

At that point I think there’s a good chance one of the larger fight publications would pick it up. Then you could automatically have a whole string of ad sponsors…and, could then focus on seeking additional ones which only fighter “girls” could attrac (if you smelll what I’m cookin’)..*wink*

And if put together right, I really believe you could make it *extremely* attractive to those potential sponsors.
    l
    But putting together a hardcopy from scratch and getting it distributed on a large enough scale is a *much* more costly and time consuming venture.

Besides all that, it’s 2005 and now most folks go to the Internet for news and info.

RA

coslisa
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:12 am
    Pro Fighter

I would be very interested in writing and taking photo’s for this project. I am from the North East of England in the UK and could cover this area.

Mandy_Aus
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 2:59 am

I would be extremely happy to cover the Australia side of the globe in anyway possible 🙂

debi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 8:02 am
    Fightergirls Pro Fight Team

Thanks you guys

check out http://www.subfighter.com I train wth those guys and Rick the owener of that site may help me convert fightergirls to a site like his. let me know what your thoughts are as we may do it soon

rick_alexio
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:12 am

The layout and navigation design are excellent on subfighter, however, if you notice, one thing that’s seriously lacking is an eye catching front page. Just like any hardcopy publication that is the first thing that will spark people’s interest and draw them inside.

Based on what you stated you’re looking to do, having the front page look as much like a magazine cover as possible, maybe set that up on some kickass mma cage looking backdrop would be ideal, then rotating the cover either monthly or weekly with a new fightergirl. You could even archivie all the previous issues on a separate page…folks can then purchase the issue they want online or get a yearly subscription, just like a hardcopy publication.

The thing is there’s a lot here on your original “Fightergirls” concept which is very cool…and the public forum will still draw additional people to the site, so maybe just blend it together into more of your online magazine with both subscription and non-subscription areas.

Best of luck though whatever you do, you girls deserve it!

Ciao,

RA

Hook
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 12:13 pm

Debi you know that you have my help and support. I’ll be in toouch. 😀 😈 😀

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 3:44 pm

Debi, you have mail.

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 4:01 pm
    Pro Fighter

I like that idea a lot of first trying the online thing. Even subscription mailing lists…let’s get more of an output of substance like technique, articles, etc. i suggest we try even getting women’s column in some already preexisting magazines.

Mark Grassman
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:21 pm
    Fightergirls elite poster

1. How much would a writer earn for such a magazine?

2. What is the subscription price?

Tim Osborne
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 5:48 pm

Roxy.. I like the mailing list idea.. a pdf file.. send it out quaterly for the first year and see what happens.. build from there. This way you go through some of the learning curve and growing pains without the big financial risk. Also.. it will help gauge the market to see if paper copies is feasible.

My writing skills aren’t the greatest.. but I have a ton of expensive ass camera equipment and love to see my stuff in magazines. I have had photos in National Geographic, ESPN the Mag, Sports Illustrated, Sports News and some newspapers, and of course the Sherdog site 🙂 I would be more than willing to supply photos when possible… so I can atleast supply you with a half assed photographer that is passionate about mma..

I also know several guys that write alot on sports nutrition and physical fitness that I am should would trade articles for ad space.

rick_alexio
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2005 7:13 pm

Exactly, guys..great ideas.

And I think that’s only the tip of the iceberg of what can potentially be done with an online magazine. You could start compiling tons of original marketing footage.. interviews, profiles, on camera training techniques, candid footage, “a day in the life of” ,,,hell, have a BBQ, “fighterl girls kickin’ it at the beach”, after-parties, you name it…both fight fans and the mainstream audience (general public) will eat that kind of candid stuff up..and it’ will create loads of content for the magazine.

It gives folks a chance to get familiar with your personalities, and that’s what literally creates popularity and a fan-following. All the fighters who are popular got that way because people feel they know them…how?…through *exposure*….and when that happening your stock as a marketable fighter starts to rise, prize money goes up, more promoters will seek fightergirls out for their fight cards, etc.

And that’s one of the beautiful things about the “information highway”… you can create your own exposure basically for free. Reality TV is big business these days because people *love* that type of candid footage. That’s what shows like “The Ultimate Fighter” are geared towards and there’s absolutely nothing stopping you girls from creating your own versions through an online magiazine…or better yet, eventually an entire broadband streaming video channel, with various fightergirls from around the world.

RA

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 2:17 pm
    Instructor

I think this is a great idea! I would definitely subscribe (cost prohibiting).

rick_alexio
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:45 pm

Good point, Rikki…and it would be advisable to keep the subscription price fairly low, as well as plenty of free preview footage, since you ideally want as many people as possible joining…that kind of exposure will be worth even more in the long run….it’s like an investment plan.

Footage like this also allows TV/movia/media producers to view the personalities of the girls in front of a camera, and in relaxed atmosphere …never know who might be tuning in.. *wink*

Just some food for thought…

RA

rebekah
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2005 6:43 am

I would love to help on a project like this. I follow both women’s mma and grappling. I am on the East Coast and you can ask Keith Mills about my research skills 😀

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?