Fighting a boxer

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

Boudicca
    Post subject: Fighting a boxer PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2005 1:56 pm
    Pro Fighter

I’ve got a fight in King of the Cage next weekend! I was just wondering if anyone had any advice about fighting a straight boxer. Apparantly she has no ground game, so I know I need to take her down, but I don’t want to get KO’d on the way there. Any tips?

Thanks!
    Victoria

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:45 am
    Pro Fighter

wow, king of the cage! COOL!

First, what’s your standup game like? You don’t have to answer this on the public forum, but practice getting socked in the face so you don’t freak out when it happens. Train slipping a flurry of forward punches and then ducking under to shoot a single or double leg takedown. I suck at doubles and always get singles, so I stick with that. That’s my bread and butter, so to speak. 🙂 I said practice getting socked in the face, because it’s best if she’s really coming in at you when you shoot so she has no time to sprawl. You can’t shoot from too far out, or if she’s smart, you won’t get her.

who are you fighting? I should probably ask before I give advice.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:14 am
    Instructor

What Roxi said is good advice. But if you haven’t already been training to slip punches or duck under them you’re most likely not going to get it down in a week. Which means you’ll train that for a week but when you get in the cage you’ll pretty much forget all about it.
    So if you haven’t trained much stand up (slipping, good footwork, and such) I suggest KEEPING YOUR HANDS UP! Especially keep them up when you shoot for the takedown!!

Boudicca
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 11:35 am
    Pro Fighter

Rox21 wrote:
    who are you fighting?

Camille Minitrez of Albuquerque… couldn’t find her on the net. This is her first mma fight.

I train stand-up, some boxing, some muay thai, so I know the basics. Including getting socked in the face, usually by my large teammates 😉 . Thanks for the good advice on shooting! How do you think a boxer would react to knees and takedowns from the clinch? I’d much rather clinch than shoot any day.

You ladies are the best – I hope to meet more of you someday! Sombody move to Texas! Sometimes I wonder if I’m the only female mma fighter in the state. 🙁 Maybe I’ll get a fight back east again soon!

dl_angel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:05 pm

I haven’t fought- just watch MMA, train Muay Thai… but my gym has had a lot of female boxers… from sparring with them, I would recommend that you work on footwork and getting out of the corners…. it’s my least favorite place to be because I can’t kick from there and I’m guessing you wouldn’t be able to get her on the ground easily either?

Maybe someone else can verify if this is a good idea or not? Not exactly sure how things work with BJJ.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 12:07 pm
    Instructor

First of all, where did you hear that she’s just a boxer? If you can’t find any info on her and you’re not sure if the source is trustworthy (the person with the first hand knowledge – not the person that passed it on) I wouldn’t count on her being “just a boxer”.

Boudicca
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 3:09 pm
    Pro Fighter

Yeah, Rikki, I started thinking the same thing… the promoter was the one that told me. I’m playing my game regardless, but I was just wasn’t sure what to expect from a boxer. I really expect that she’s a boxer with some grappling just like I’m a grappler with some stand up.

DL_Angel, where in Austin do you train? I’m in Austin all the time, maybe after my fight I can come train or spar with you guys some time.

dl_angel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:23 pm

I’m at Vasquez Academy… right now we’re in Oak Hill (basically Austin, but west side) near where 290 and 71 split off.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2005 5:46 pm
    Instructor

Quote:
    I’d much rather clinch than shoot any day.

Depending on what kind of boxing game she plays clinching might be a bad idea. If she’s a “dirty boxer” she’ll want to be inside so she can work the body and get in some good uppercuts.

Also, going back to not being able to trust what you’ve heard, if you suspect that she’s trained MMA before then she probably knows how to deal with knees and takedowns (or has at least trained it).

Just some things to think about. Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Executioner
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2005 12:54 am

If she only knows boxing, try than too slow her down on using lowkicks!

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 2:23 am
    Pro Fighter

I agree with dl_angel. She might try and corner you- heck, everyone would, so work on circling. always circling. And don’t just go around one way,, mixed it up. work on footwork.

Boudicca
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:29 am
    Pro Fighter

KOTC uses an octogon so the corners are kinda shaved off. I’ve only fought in a ring before, so I can’t wait to see how that changes the game, but I’ll try to stay out of the corners anyways. And right on with the low kicks 😈

You are all fabulous people and I hope I do you proud 😀 !

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 8:09 am
    Pro Fighter

wait I thought a king of the cage just happened…

Boudicca
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:14 am
    Pro Fighter

Yep, there was one Sunday in California – a friend of mine fought in it. The one I’m fighting in will be in New Mexico on Friday. They have shows all over the place. If anyone is curious I think their webpage is http://www.fightergirls.com

tiggerhart23
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 3:31 pm

Hey There-

Sorry you really don’t want any advice from me! I just wantd to tell you GOOD LUCK and KICK A** .

Let us know how it go’s
    Tiggerhart23

JulesK
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2005 7:22 pm
    Pro Fighter

GOOD LUCK VICTORIA!!!!!
    I had a great time talking to you at the Arnolds and I think you are one tough cookie!
    PLease let us know how your fight turns out!

🙂
    jules

Mark Grassman
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2005 2:17 pm
    Fightergirls elite poster

Boudicca wrote:
    KOTC uses an octogon so the corners are kinda shaved off. I’ve only fought in a ring before, so I can’t wait to see how that changes the game, but I’ll try to stay out of the corners anyways.

MMA strategy changes when moved from a roped boxing ring to a cage. Fighters may try to push each other around and pin one another against the chain link fence to immobilize the oppenent. Hope you have enough time to prepare against that.

Good luck.

Last edited by Mark Grassman on Sat Jun 25, 2005 8:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Boudicca
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Jun 18, 2005 9:10 pm
    Pro Fighter

Thanks to everybody for all the encouragement and great advice! I won by a rear naked choke at :57 of round 1. It was a great fight. My opponent got one shot on the way in, but I was able to take the fight to the ground and keep it where I wanted it.

I have to say, after one amateur loss and one pro loss, it was a really good feeling getting the W. All the support I got here really helped my mental game and I know that helped get me there. You guys are the best! 😀

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:36 am
    Instructor

Awesome! That’s great to hear!

dl_angel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:53 am

Congrats! 🙂

adriennaaj
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 3:24 pm
    Pro Fighter

congrats victoria!!

JulesK
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:15 pm
    Pro Fighter

You go girl!!!

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 6:27 pm
    Pro Fighter

congrats 😀

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?