First Women’s Fight of Bodog Season 3

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

Maulinator
    Post subject: First Women’s Fight of Bodog Season 3 Post Posted: Wed May 09, 2007 10:25 am
    Pro Fighter

Check it out at bodogfight

Windy Tomomi vs. Rosi smile

Very, very interesting fight a MUST WATCH. Beyond all the drama in the fight, both represented VERY well, displaying the skills that identifies them both at the top in their division. Arguably two of the top pound for pound female fighters out there.

holddown
    Post subject: sickest ending i have ever seenPostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 4:28 am

never seen something like this. not for the feint of heart. take a look at the shocked/sickened looks of the fans.
    hope she is ok

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 2:06 pm

that is seriously disturbing crap. lucky for the greaseball owner of bodog that this was an online show taped out of the country. if it was don for broadcasting in the U.S., he no doubt would have much more crap that a couple of posts in fightergirls. well it looked like the fans got their money’s worth. how many damned times did that producer show that broken leg any way? pure unadulterated crap.

roxybalboa
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 5:56 pm
    Pro Fighter

i didn’t think it was anymore disturbuing or graphic than when tim sylvia broke his arm in the UFC fight against frank mir. they played that over and over too. the only thing that annoyed me was one of the commentators, but not everyone can be as entertaining as joe rogan or bas rutten.

the girls did well… overall the bodog fights have been hit or miss since they started.

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:24 pm

since when has UFC ever showed class or empathy? why else do u think people watch UFC or bodog but for the blood and the breaks. both ayers and that guy that owns bodog are slimy and hellbound.

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2007 7:25 pm

roxy – maybe others being crippled and experiencing excrutiating pain doesn’t bug u much. u sound mighty ‘ho hum’ about it. sorry the commentator didn’t entertain u more during sylvias arm break

Rosi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 12:14 am
    Pro Fighter

Thanks Molly for the kind words, i appreciate it 🙂

As for the injury itself. I felt pretty bad about it, and yeah, I didn’t sleep too well for a couple of days. There are times when I hate this sport, and this was one of those – after that I thought a lot about why I’m doing this and what my motives are.

At the end of the day, we are professional fighters. Each of us knows the risks when we get in there. I go into every fight knowing there’s a possibility that i’m not coming out in one piece. Easy for me to say, because as it happened it wasn’t me with the broken ankle. But I sincerely hope that if it does ever happen to me, I would react as professionally and courageously as Windy did. She is a true fighter, and deserves respect as such.

Should it have been shown? I don’t know. Apparently Windy thought so. Serious injuries in MMA are rare and unfortunate, but they are part of the sport. Should we bury our heads in the sand and pretend that they aren’t? I think that to do so does a disservice to fighters like Tomomi who experience them and STILL want to get back in there and fight. That takes more courage than most will ever show: why shouldn’t people have a chance to see that? In downplaying the risks of the sport, it also does a disservice to every fighter who takes those risks whenever he or she gets in the ring.

When I first started out in MMA, it was much easier to get in there because I didn’t fully, truly, understand the risks I was taking. The more you see and experience, the harder it gets. Those who don’t understand what they are putting on the line should be made aware. Those who do and still choose to fight, often for little in the way of money or fame, should receive the respect they deserve.

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 4:37 am

that break was not shown so many times, as a sign of respect – but as entertainment. for someone as highly educated and accomplished as you are, you know that people are there to either see you hurt or to see you hurt someone else – intentionally, for their fun

with your accomplishments in life, you really don’t need to feed the beast.

others may not feel they have that choice.

you do.

fem-ma
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 5:39 am

fight4you wrote:
    that break was not shown so many times, as a sign of respect – but as entertainment. for someone as highly educated and accomplished as you are, you know that people are there to either see you hurt or to see you hurt someone else – intentionally, for their fun

with your accomplishments in life, you really don’t need to feed the beast.

others may not feel they have that choice.

you do.
    Why are you tryign to patronise an intelligent competitor? You seem to have a very limited understanding of the psychology of sports women. Its a shame, a little more effort and you’d come across as entertaining. Right now, you just come across as hell bent on your own verbal masturbation.

The footage (no pun intended) doesn’t seem that bad. It’s a nasty inury but it’s nothing that isn’t shown regularly in the media when it happens to football or rugby players in the UK. Does the US media not tend to cover sports injuries?

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:11 am
    Instructor

Quote:
    lucky for the greaseball owner of bodog that this was an online show taped out of the country. if it was don for broadcasting in the U.S., he no doubt would have much more crap that a couple of posts in fightergirls.
    It was broadcast on basic cable all over the U.S.

drscruf
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:10 am

I don’t think it was blown out of proportion on the broadcast at all. I remember when Joe Theismann had his leg snapped like a twig on Monday Night Football. That was seen by millions on network TV and they replayed it over and over. And then, you could see it again on Sportscenter the next day. Sure, there was a disclaimer before they aired it, but it aired all the same.

And, it DOES do a disservice to the fighters to play down the injury. With as much MMA programming as there is today (IFL, Bodog, UFC, Pride, EliteXC, etc.), some of us laypeople may take for granted the amount of punishment and risk that all fighters accept as part of their trade. I am constantly amazed with the resilence of MMA fighters.

My two minor peeves with the situation were: I thought if they were going to replay the injury, they should have given a simple warning to viewers that may not want to see it. And two, commentators should stick to what they see and not throw out medical terms for which they have no background. I guess I’m looking for a little restraint here (I know, I know, it’s Bodog…). From my angle, Windy’s injury was either a dislocation of the ankle, which means ligament damage. Or, it was a fracture and dislocation, meaning the tips of the shin bones (or malleoli) were snapped off as the joint was dislocated.

For the fight itself, I thought it was a great fight between two very good fighters. I was amazed that Windy took all of the shots that she did in the first round and that a) she was able to recover and get into Rosi’s guard and b) the ref didn’t stop the fight in the first place. I counted at least 10 clean shots that got through Windy’s defense and I was positive it was getting stopped. Shows you what I know.

Rosi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:04 am
    Pro Fighter

I am aware that people have a fascination with violence, and with people getting hurt. That’s not to say they enjoy seeing it, in fact very often they wish they hadn’t (and VERY few would regard it as “fun” to watch) – but people are drawn to look at things like that. It’s fundamental to human psychology. However, that fascination doesn’t mean that there isn’t also empathy and respect for the person who is being injured. I think on the whole there is.

I’m going to stop here and not get drawn into a petty argument because I really don’t think that’s appropriate here. Tomomi is a professional fighter, in every sense of that word. She knows what she is getting into and still she chooses to do it. Apparently she was happy for the fight to be shown. I think we should respect that.

The injury was a fracture of the tibia and fibula, and a dislocation. For those who are interested, there is an article about Windy’s recovery here.

Maulinator
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 9:50 am
    Pro Fighter

GREAT POST(S) ROSI! Enough said…

And for the rest of you get your panties out of a bunch. This is not “reinventing the wheel” This kind of thing happens all the time. No one was inappropriate by showing it, all interested parties wanted it shown. Everyone is talking about it right? The the producers did their job. Good or bad – any attention to women’s fighting is good attention.

I totally agree with Rosi about “not hiding our heads inthe sand”. That’s what people have been doing with women’s fighting in general for a long time. It doesn’t do anyone any good to downplay this.

fight4you – HELLO! THIS IS MMA! Yes, people get hurt, yes people enjoy watching it. It’s FIGHTING. That is the point. No one is ho-hum about the injury. Rosi has clearly stated that she feels bad about it, and Windi wanted it shown. Both comeptitors give each other respect. It happens, it’s the name of the game. It’s a total occupational hazard. And yes, we all DO have a choice and we choose to FIGHT, regardless of the consequences. We are all intelligent and well informed enough to make that decision.

The owners of Bodog may be “greaseballs” in your opinion, but the fact is that they have given us a chance to be mainstream, they pay well, and they choose fighters based on skill rather than looks (mostly). And at this point in the evolution of women’s fighting, I think all of us are quite grateful for the opportunity.

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:01 pm

Eh, so graphic, intentional violence and injury for the entertainment and profit of others is acceptable and admirable to some of you. Man, a psychologist could make a lifes’ work here. It’s just a matter of time for the legal boom to drop again – hard.

Maulinator
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 3:48 pm
    Pro Fighter

Ummmm… you do know you are on a MMA website don’t you? Graphic, intentional violence for the entertainment and profit of others (as well as ourselves) IS acceptable to me. Intentional injury is not acceptable or admirable to me. However, this injury was by no means intentional, and the majority of the injuries inflicted in this sport are not intentional.

There is no reason this situation is any different than anything else that has happened in the sport in the past, and I seriously doubt any new issues will be raised by it.

And what about a psychologist? I have had debates before with psych’s and basically my point is this – fighting is THE MOST NATURAL thing a human does. It is a very, very basic id instinct. Animals do it, bugs do it, everything that lives pretty much does it at some point in their life. There is nothing wrong with it, especially considering that these are willing and capable subjects and it is in a controlled enviroment. They could make a life’s work here, and they’d probably end up learning a thing or two….

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 4:24 pm

endless court cases show , you can buy a psychologist to front any position you want.

cosmic
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 7:08 pm

A real bummer about the injury, it was a really good fight.

My best wishes go out to Windy for a full recovery. Looking forward to seeing her fight again! I really like her fighting style.

As soon as I saw the injury, and heard the commentators start talking about it, I stopped watching….I creep out and feel sick when those things happen!

I had something similar happen to me in a fight……one of my limbs snapped like a couple of twigs and compound fracture….wasn’t a pretty sight.
    Have had a bitch of a recovery. I have not seen the footage, and nor do I want to!
    The girl I faught was a loser, she went back to her country and said in all her interviews she completely thrashed me etc. She didn’t go up to any of my team mates after the fight (I was in hospital being operated on) and ask how I was or anything. She better hope she never fights me again.
    (didn’t mean to hijack the thread, it felt great to vent!)

Congrats to Rosi, a great fighter and a champion attitude too.
    Am looking forward to your future fights!

jjsmommi2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 8:51 pm

you know i’ve been on this forum for over a year. i read it all the time. very rarely do i post or anything like that. but i feel like posting this. and i’m not trying to highjack, or start anything so i apologize ahead of time.. but one thing, it seems is consistent…

“fight4you” why do you have to start so much shi* all the time. man. give it up. you want people to think you are opinionated but i really dont think you are. you just attempt any statement or opinion that will piss people off. relax. get out the house. do something. no offense but its starting to get kinda old.

anyway. its MMA. people are going to get hurt. its entertaining. when i saw that break i wasn’t like “cool!” but i was like “dammmmmmmmmmn” and i had to watch the fight again. the element of danger is part of what makes it interesting. and if we are pushing to be accepted equally within the industry than we can’t get upset when our injuries are treated like the men’s.

now i’m sure it wasn’t entertaining for windy. but it will be one day after she recovers and keeps fighting. she will be proud of herself. it will make her a better person, and a better fighter to go through that.

anyway i think roxy balboa said it best.

and i dont know anything about the owner of bodog. and i’ll bet that there aren’t too many people on here who know him personally. he could be a slimeball. but he (or they) or whoever have done alot for womens MMA recently right>? or am i missing something?

Josh Barnett
    Post subject: From the cornerPostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 10:59 pm
    Pro Fighter

It really sucked as winning and losing is one thing but injuries mean you cant even go back to training, doing what you love. WINDY and Rosi are both fierce competitors and they wanted to finish each other off and while Rosi won, it is stillan incomplete fight in my eyes. WINDY landed some great body kicks but Rosi was taking her down and we saw what happened in the first round from Rosi’s mount.

I would love to see these two fight again, course I just like watching either of them fight period. They are great people and great fighters. I wish all fighters could fight las hard as these two. No joke.

WINDY will be back and she said she wanted that rematch on the stretcher getting in the van to the hospital. I saw here off in the airport and she was in good spirits and really positive to getting over the injury. I was glad to help her as a rep of PANCRASE would help her in the future if she asked.

Rosi – Whe you fighting next? You going to be in Vancouver? It’d be cool to see you, Karl and the little one again.

Cosmic – Who are you? No one seems to put their names in their profiles let alone for their forum names. What gives?

Josh

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 4:10 am

ok jjsmommi2, watching snapped legs don’t bother you but a differing, typed opinion does. ah well, such is life.

Maulinator
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:00 am
    Pro Fighter

It’s fine to have a different opinion, in fact probably good to spark some debate. Just be able to back it up, and remember what kind of forum you are posting on.

scarce
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 10:09 am
    Fightergirls elite poster

try this
    and like molly sd

dont get your panties up in a bunch

mma players break legs

pro boxers give concussions—–nuff sed—-

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:22 am

maulinator – be able to back up an opinion how? Of course I know what forum I am on. Why bring this up in another forum?

scarce – maybe so, and u sit in the safe seats and watch and enjoy. “nuff said.”

and why am i not surprised that bodog would be promoting a rematch after wendy goes through three (3) surgeries to able to walk again?

bodog markets fightmeat. truely hellbound stuff.

Maulinator
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:06 pm
    Pro Fighter

Well it just seems strange how adamant you are about all this “violence” and fighting being for the entertainment of others being wrong.

This subject was raised on other forums as well. Everyone in the US and Canada saw it on cable TV. To be against violence and entertainment seems strange as you are on a forum that caters to FIGHTERS that can be violent and entertaining, and caters to the fans that love watching it.

Yeah it’s violent, yeah it’s for the entertainment of others. Just as much as we are professional athletes, we are entertainers. And sure we all wish things were based solely on fight ability and skill level alone, but it is just not the case.

Yes Bodog is going to show this fight, because it is an entertaining fight. No one is arguing that it’s not disturbing, because it is. No one is claiming that it was intentional and accepting it as that.

Whether or not the owners / promoters are slimeballs, I really don’t know. But they are promoters, and what promoter doesn’t have a touch of “greasiness”. That’s their job, that’s what they do. We all got paid well and got huge exposure from Bodog, which is what we want. Nothing was inaccurately portrayed. There were no “works”, no one got screwed over on this deal. What promotion doesn’t “market fightmeat”? I just don’t get where your coming from.

So what’s the problem?

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 12:50 pm

wow. an amazing ethical blank slate.

Maulinator
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 2:38 pm
    Pro Fighter

🙄

Executioner
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 1:46 am

Rosie, you’re smart, you’re good, you are impressive!
    I never seen a match from you untill you fought Carina Damm.
    You’re one force to be reckon with! 8)

Too bad it happened like that during your fight with Windy.
    Hope to see you in more matches on Bodog!

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 5:44 am

Rosi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 1:21 pm
    Pro Fighter

Thanks again people…. good to hear from you Josh 🙂

scarce
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 7:25 am
    Fightergirls elite poster

we are here to support female mma———–
    we are here to support female mma…………

those who can not understand….

,,GO BACK TO YOUR MYSPACE ACCOUNT….LOL))))))))))lol)))))))))))))

fem-ma
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 8:16 am

😀

bwilli27
    Post subject: So explain to me this??PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 3:24 pm

fight4you wrote:
    Eh, so graphic, intentional violence and injury for the entertainment and profit of others is acceptable and admirable to some of you. Man, a psychologist could make a lifes’ work here. It’s just a matter of time for the legal boom to drop again – hard.
    I dont fight, but I take conditioning and kickboxing… I know that there are risks of me getting hurt. The guy who teaches my conditioning class who by the way is fighting in the IFL, put it best, his dream was for being in the midst and competing. Hes just lucky that others get to share in that dream. I dont watch it for the violence I wash it for the passion… PERIOID.

Fight4You- This is for fightergirls, there supporters and the people like me who are inspired by these ladies… Nuff said

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2007 6:17 pm

a wide range of opinions and views are a good thing. for whatever reason, several members choose to add to these two threads and not to others on the forum. at the moment. i think it is best not to be a lemming and to fall in to group-think. just curious, isn’t saying you love hardcore fights but not for the violence, similar to someone saying they love bullfights but they don’t want to see the bull hurt?

fem-ma
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:35 am

fight4you wrote:
    a wide range of opinions and views are a good thing. for whatever reason, several members choose to add to these two threads and not to others on the forum. at the moment. i think it is best not to be a lemming and to fall in to group-think. just curious, isn’t saying you love hardcore fights but not for the violence, similar to someone saying they love bullfights but they don’t want to see the bull hurt?
    Sorry, are you equating the fighters to cattle, with no choice or higher intelligence?

sharice
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 10:06 am

oh no group-think….first the thought police now this.

actually saying I watch mma but I don’t want to see the fighter get hurt would be the same as saying that I watch bullfighting but I don’t want to see the bull get hurt. bulls don’t really have a choice in the matter, fighters do.

f4y your profile says you like martial arts. do you like martial arts or do you participate in martial arts? It doesn’t seem like you really understand the skill and timing it takes to be able to participate in an mma fight. Not to mention the mental prep/work it takes to be able to use the skills you learn and practice in a situation that involves a ton of adrenaline. I can kick and punch at a heavy bag all day and look great doing it but when someone else is punching back it’s a totally different story.

Maybe you should look for a philosophy forum. I think that might be a better place to discuss whether or not GnP is an art, or whether mma is ethical or not. Or maybe you should try fighting someone you obviously don’t have enough conflict in your life, since you come on here everyday to create some.

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:29 pm

of course not and you know that.

fem-ma wrote:
    fight4you wrote:
    Sorry, are you equating the fighters to cattle, with no choice or higher intelligence?

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:32 pm

Your point is what concerning the bullfight analogy? And thank you for your advice but since your perceptions about me are as inaccurate as they are self-serving to your view, I’ll just stay here. Oh and since you mentioned conflict, thanks for adding some.

sharice wrote:
    oh no group-think….first the thought police now this.

actually saying I watch mma but I don’t want to see the fighter get hurt would be the same as saying that I watch bullfighting but I don’t want to see the bull get hurt. bulls don’t really have a choice in the matter, fighters do.

f4y your profile says you like martial arts. do you like martial arts or do you participate in martial arts? It doesn’t seem like you really understand the skill and timing it takes to be able to participate in an mma fight. Not to mention the mental prep/work it takes to be able to use the skills you learn and practice in a situation that involves a ton of adrenaline. I can kick and punch at a heavy bag all day and look great doing it but when someone else is punching back it’s a totally different story.

Maybe you should look for a philosophy forum. I think that might be a better place to discuss whether or not GnP is an art, or whether mma is ethical or not. Or maybe you should try fighting someone you obviously don’t have enough conflict in your life, since you come on here everyday to create some.

Rosi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:00 pm
    Pro Fighter

um folks… i’m as guilty as anyone, but since this is clearly going nowhere, how about we stop feeding the trolls? 8)

jjsmommi2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 4:29 pm

its obvious that he is getting exactly what he wants from us, which is attention. he’s the type of troll that would come back underneath another screename if he was banned. u r right rosi.

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 5:40 pm

wow, alternative viewpoints are not tolerated very much here.
    ps – name-calling usually starts when arguments dissolve.
    so go back to watching windy’s leg snap.

jjsmommi2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 11:46 am

now now … … guess i’ll have to break this down for you….

you seem to enjoy stringing big words together (much like a child strings macoroni on a necklace) in order to ‘convince’ us all of your superior intelligence so i am surprised that you cannot discern between the

Troll – ‘description of an individual who purposefully incites discord on internet forum in order to bring attention upon himself’ i.e. – you

and the

Troll – mythical hairy green monster, usually found residing under bridges and partaking of billy goats. – imaginary monster.
    no name calling. just pointing out the obvious.

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:35 pm

no –

I focus attention on the issue of enjoying the intentional injury of another.

you (and some compatriots) focus attention upon me.

so to follow your logic – you are creating a troll.

stick to the thread.

regarding inciting discord… i have no power over how you choose to react and behave.

these aren’t elbows to the temple – just typed words and concepts.

jjsmommi2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 2:40 pm

throwing in the towel. there’s a million and one things i could say…not worth it.

😀

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2007 1:11 pm

thank you

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?