Follow Womens Olympic Wrestling

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

KnockOut2
    Post subject: Follow Womens Olympic Wrestling : Patricia MirandaPostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 9:39 am

This is a segment from an article on Abu Dhabi News page…

With the addition of women’s wrestling to the program of the 2004 Olympics, more media attention is being paid these days to the women wrestlers themselves.Patricia Miranda, who won her second World silver medal at the 2003 World Championships of Freestyle Wrestling in New York, has been featured in such media outlets as Newsweek, which rarely discuss the world’s oldest sport. Wrestling at 48 kg/105.5 lbs., she has just been named the 2003 Women’s Wrestler of the Year by USA Wrestling. In international competition this year, Miranda has had mixed results. At the FILA Olympic Test Tournament on Jan. 23 in Athens, she finished fifth. She won the Manitoba Open on Jan. 31 in Winnipeg, Canada, as well as the Dave Schultz Memorial International on Feb. 6 in Colorado Springs, at which she was voted Outstanding Wrestler. She also took fifth at the Kiev Grand Prix on Feb. 21 in Kiev, Ukraine, and ninth at the Ivan Yarygin Memorial International on Feb. 28 in Krasnoyarsk, Russia. So while she is the big favorite to represent the U.S. at the 2004 Olympics, she will face very tough competition in her quest to add an Olympic medal to her impressive list of accomplishments.

———————

Quote from Stanford wrestling head coach Steve Buddy on Patricia Miranda…

“I honestly thought I knew what it meant to be ‘tough,'” Buddy said. “I grew up in a house with three argumentative boys, competed as a wrestler for over 20 years, and had been touched by 30 years of inspirational athletic moments. I thought I had seen it all, until I met Patricia Miranda.”

Read the rest of that article here…

for all the attention she got beating boys in high school and men in college, the toughest male opponent she has ever faced is her dad.

Patricia Miranda named 2003 USA Wrestling Women’s Wrestler of the Year

Interview :

10 Questions for U.S. Nationals champion Patricia Miranda

———————-

Del
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 1:45 pm

Kewl! Is it a requirement to wear the singlet?

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Apr 08, 2004 2:53 pm

I think it is 😕

I think the singlet is one of the biggest downfalls of wrestling.

I imagine they do that to keep people’s shorts from falling down when wrestle. Still, I think they should have certain styles of athleticwear that are “authorized” by the wrestling board. But that is just me. Singlets don’t look very cool to me.

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 9:45 am

just keeping this at the top…

Ko2

chad
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 4:41 pm
    Fightergirls elite poster

Awesome post!!!!!!

Chad

flyguy
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Apr 10, 2004 10:05 pm

By the way if you go to http://www.amateurwrestlingphotos.com there are some great shots by Al of theOlympic trials in Madrid. Se the home page updates Al’s action photography is always some of the best.

If you look thru the photos you can see by the initials on the singlets just how many countries now have womens freestyle. I think I saw Austria, Poland, Mexico, Tunisia, Canada, Venezuela, Peru, New Zealand, Turkey, Denmark, Bulguria at least. Nor is it a “cissy” sport just because its pins only.

On the subject of the singlets these are the traditional garb for freestyle (men of women). Also given the media image of “womens wrestling” I think if they wore the same outifts as the female field athletes it wouldn’t have been acepted as an Olympic sport , which is kinda weird in a way

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2004 8:35 pm

thnx chad 🙂

Thought I’d put that “poll” feature to use.

To me…being into MMA and not being into BJJ, Judo, wrestling, boxing or Muay Thai matches separately is just…strange. More interesting is the importance of this change in the olympics and how it might affect women fighters.

I would expect the same thing to happen with female wrestlers that happened with male wrestlers getting into the UFC. A couple of them learn some boxing skills…and suddenly they can compete in MMA and actually make some money with their wrestling skills after their wrestling careers are over. This is, of course, after women get into the UFC (some day).

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 4:34 pm

More votes…

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 1:31 pm

it’s a good thread that nobody is reading 😉

more votes please.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?