found this on u tube

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 7 months ago.

  • Author
    Posts
  • #12152

    Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

    chad
    Post subject: found this on u tube Post Posted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 4:06 pm
    Fightergirls elite poster

    Joined: Fri Feb 13, 2004 7:16 am
    Posts: 671
    Location: Laguna Hills, CA
    Check out this video…. Not sure if it has been posted before??

    http://www.fightergirls.com

    Chad
    Top

    fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 8:12 pm

    Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:03 pm
    Posts: 429
    interesting sign of the times where sitting on someone and pounding fists and elbows into their face until you are pulled off is considered both admirable and a sport. What used to be a schoolyard bully tactic is now considered cool. Another example of the “Jerry Springerization” of the culture.
    Top

    StylistAjax
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:10 am

    Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:12 pm
    Posts: 44
    Interesting sign of times when people are standing up punching each other. Kind of like boxing. They got that sport from school bullies. What a Jerry Springer like culture
    Top

    warrior14
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:16 pm
    Pro Fighter

    Joined: Thu Feb 19, 2004 2:08 pm
    Posts: 94
    Location: Sioux Falls, SD
    Interesting sign of the times when a person who can no longer defend from the mount can tap out or a ref can step in….NOT like a schoolyard fight. You don’t have to like the sport, but don’t demean the rest of us by comparing a street brawl to MMA. Street racing is dangerous and looked down on by society, but under the right controls, it’s called NASCAR. 2 very different things.
    Top

    fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 9:15 pm

    Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:03 pm
    Posts: 429
    and where did your ‘sport’ originate? from what fun and games in Brazil did it spring?
    Top

    Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 9:02 am
    Instructor

    Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:56 am
    Posts: 915
    Location: Lexington, KY
    Quote:
    and where did your ‘sport’ originate?
    Our sport originated in Greece. Boxing, Wrestling, and Pankration were all events in the earliest athletic festivals (including the Olympics). MMA is simply a combination of these ancient combat sports.
    Top

    fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 2:48 pm

    Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:03 pm
    Posts: 429
    more like brazil and the challenge, private, non-ruled fights that were so popular but still, my point remains.
    Top

    satanico
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:40 pm

    Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:10 pm
    Posts: 144
    Actually your facts and your point got blown out of the water. It’s a 2500 year old sport that was part of the Olympics to honor the Gods and admired by the likes of Alexander the Great. You want to cry about culture study ancient Greece and see how much culture we learned from them.
    Top

    fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:57 pm

    Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:03 pm
    Posts: 429
    then link it to the roman games while u are at it. the appeal is similar
    Top

    Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:42 pm
    Instructor

    Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:56 am
    Posts: 915
    Location: Lexington, KY
    fight4you wrote:
    then link it to the roman games while u are at it. the appeal is similar
    The Roman games? If you are referring to their athletic festivals, there’s no point – they were copying the Greeks. If you are referring to gladiators, you are mistaken. Gladiators were mostly slaves who were forced into fighting. It was also warfare instead of competition; kill or be killed instead of a relatively friendly match over a crown of olive branches.
    Top

    satanico
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 7:53 pm

    Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:10 pm
    Posts: 144
    Rikki wrote:
    fight4you wrote:
    then link it to the roman games while u are at it. the appeal is similar
    The Roman games? If you are referring to their athletic festivals, there’s no point – they were copying the Greeks. If you are referring to gladiators, you are mistaken. Gladiators were mostly slaves who were forced into fighting. It was also warfare instead of competition; kill or be killed instead of a relatively friendly match over a crown of olive branches.
    I think he just does not understand the difference between Rome and Greece. He is a person of many opinions and little intellect.
    Top

    fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:02 pm

    Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:03 pm
    Posts: 429
    rikki – u might want to read up on it, it was not just slaves that were compelled to fight. and that is really beside the point. so you think the crowd cared if the participation was voluntary or not as long as the end-result was bloody?

    satanico’s ad hominems are the sad last resort for those bereft of argument or facts.

    let’s just agree, many of u are amused by someone sitting on another, often immodbilizing their ability to defend and then raining fullforce punches and elbows to their face until being pulled off.

    some find that entertaining and admirable. i have the opposite view.
    Last edited by fight4you on Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

    Top

    StylistAjax
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 8:08 pm

    Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:12 pm
    Posts: 44
    k thx info
    Top

    Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:00 pm
    Instructor

    Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:56 am
    Posts: 915
    Location: Lexington, KY
    Quote:
    rikki – u might want to read up on it, it was not just slaves that wwew compelled. and that is really beside the point. so you think the crowd cared if the participation was voluntary or not aslong as the end-result was bloody?
    I have read up on it, maybe you should. I know it was “not just slaves”. That is why I said “mostly” and not “all”.

    It is beside the point – apparently you got side tracked when your original argument didn’t pan out for you. Your first question was about the origin of MMA. I answered that one for you already.

    What you are asking about now is not even a sport. Like my last post states, gladiatorial games were not actually games – they were warfare. It was one or more people fighting for their very lives. It was not a matter of a broken nose or a broken arm.

    To even attempt to compare MMA to such a thing shows your ignorance. The way you talk about it, you’d think MMA was some seedy, underground circle where people fight to the death. If you don’t like it, don’t watch it, and don’t hang out in places where people come to talk (positively) about it.
    Top

    satanico
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 11:45 pm

    Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:10 pm
    Posts: 144
    fight4you wrote:

    satanico’s ad hominems are the sad last resort for those bereft of argument or facts.
    Ad hominem consists of replying to an argument by attacking the person making the argument, rather than by addressing the substance of the argument. By the time I belittled your intellect Rikki had already destroyed your argument and I had already factually undermined your feeble attempt to restate your argument. I simply did the courtesy of informing Rikki that she was attempting to educate a nitwit.
    Top

     

    fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:56 am

    Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:03 pm
    Posts: 429
    Sigh – Rikki, they were games not war. They were entertainment. The fact that they tried to kill people then and you may just try and knock someone out or break their arm now just means the two events are on different points on the same path. The crowd is there for both because they enjoyed seeing what would happen. I am puzzled why this is a debate.

    Satanico – go back to watching the girls fight. Discussion and argument are not your thing.
    Top

    Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:24 am
    Instructor

    Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:56 am
    Posts: 915
    Location: Lexington, KY
    From Combat Sports In The Ancient World by Michael B. Poliakoff:

    “I define sport and athletics in this book as activity in which a person physically competes against another in a contest with established regulations and procedures, with the immediate object of succeeding in that contest under criteria for determining victory that are different from those that mark success in everyday life (warfare, of course, being included as part of everyday life in antiquity).”

    “This definition of sport excludes a number of forms of combat, such as fencing, armed dueling, and gladiatorial events, activities that fall more properly into categories other than sport. In antiquity, the purpose of fencing (with blunt-tipped weapons) was military training, and these activities did not have a fixed structure or system of competition. A gladiator fighting to kill or disable his opponent and save himself in any manner possible is not participating in a sport but in a form of warfare for spectators. The fact that gladiators (most of whom were slaves or condemned criminals – even the volunteers were bound by a fearsome oath to obey all commands) followed under compulsion the orders of the arena organizers is another strong sign that the arena had a purposefulness in its activities that does not square with the more arbitrary conventions of sport.
    Top

    fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 4:24 pm

    Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:03 pm
    Posts: 429
    “war” as u call it as entertainment is still entertainment. the intentional injury (or in that case, death) of one at the hands of another as enterainment for those that watch. the 2 examples we have been discussing are 2 points on the same path. the only difference is what the difference in what the two societies accept. it appears that ours is continuing to return to the former. so why is it entertaining to see one sitting on another and raining fists and elbows upon them until pulled off. why is that fun to watch, much less to do to another? I won’t even ask about the psychologies involved why one would be willing to be on the bottom, receiving the blows, in front of the entertained crowd. therapists and psychologists could make a lifes’ work in this area
    Top

    Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:12 pm
    Instructor

    Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:56 am
    Posts: 915
    Location: Lexington, KY
    Look at it however you want. You obviously don’t want to hear anything that differs from your opinion. Lay off the anti-MMA kool aid, as you would say.
    Top

    fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 5:17 pm

    Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:03 pm
    Posts: 429
    Um, I am here voluntarily and I am reading what you write so that disproves your first point. Since you ask for me to shut up, that proves that you do not want to hear what I have to say. Which is fine. Don’t respond. But you have yet to answer my question about the popular “ground and pound”. And that’s OK too. Kind of hard to defend, I would agree.
    Top

    scarce
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:54 am
    Fightergirls elite poster

    Joined: Fri Feb 20, 2004 4:31 pm
    Posts: 791
    if you are an activist

    against mixed martial arts

    go draw yourself a sign

    and march your sad ass off this board

    take a flying leap

    this board

    is for the support of mixed martial arts/

    oh by the way bears 28 colts 14 ,super bowl is over///
    Top

    Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 10:57 am
    Instructor

    Joined: Mon Aug 09, 2004 6:56 am
    Posts: 915
    Location: Lexington, KY
    Quote:
    Um, I am here voluntarily and I am reading what you write so that disproves your first point. Since you ask for me to shut up, that proves that you do not want to hear what I have to say.

    No, you aren’t here to hear opposing views. You are here to argue and try to demean the people involved in this sport. Oh and I didn’t ask for you to shut up, I asked for you to go away. Freedom of speech and all that, just go say your piece where people want to hear it because, you are right, I don’t want to hear it.

    Quote:
    But you have yet to answer my question about the popular “ground and pound”. And that’s OK too. Kind of hard to defend, I would agree.

    I’m not a psychologist so I can’t answer your question. As for defending it, I don’t have to defend my choices to anyone. If you don’t like them, tough sh*t. Oh and, the fighters I know are much more well adjusted than a lot of people out there.

    And how about the psychologies behind you feeling the need to come to a website that supports MMA in order to pick a fight and attempt to belittle the people who congregate there? Does it make you feel like a big person?

    I’m done on this subject.
    Top

    fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:56 pm

    Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:03 pm
    Posts: 429
    so this forum is for lemmings who think alike? you don’t have to read my opinion/questions and you don’t have to respond. typed words bug u but a ground and pound does not?
    Top

    MNkkgMMA
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:24 pm
    Pro Fighter

    Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:37 am
    Posts: 542
    Location: minnesota
    Fight4you, are you this annoying on the other Forums like the UG, or are we just lucky?

    Why hasn’t the Moderator kicked this clown off the forum yet?
    Top

    J
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:07 pm

    Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2004 6:02 am
    Posts: 238
    Location: Asheville, NC
    ***yawn***
    Top

    fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:09 pm

    Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:03 pm
    Posts: 429
    kicked off for asking a question you don’t like but feel compelled to respond to with insults? you don’t have to read it or answer it. you can stick to those that think just like you. the bigger question is ‘why is a “ground and pound” admirable and an acceptable form of entertainment? why do u want to watch it, do it, receive it? why is that fun?
    Top

    MNkkgMMA
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:56 am
    Pro Fighter

    Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:37 am
    Posts: 542
    Location: minnesota
    Gound N’ Pound is larger catergorey, inside of it are many different techniques, attacks, and set ups for submissions. It is a very large blanket catergorey. Mutifaceted even. I am a huge fan of ground in pound. Because I recognize (though I do not utilize all of them) the many defenses and offensives that are available to be used. Ground and pound is legitimate in this sport. It just is.

    This forum welcomes people with individual ideas, and questions. By all means state an opinion, state a comment. All we ask is that you chill on your confrontationality. What this forum is not, is a Debate squad. We welcome what you think, but if someone happens to disagree with it, (and a lot of people to tend to disagree with you) just agree to disagree. Don’t start a debate. If you feel the need to force feed your knowledge to someone you are “tiffing” with on a topic, send them a PM. Let the argumant be between you and who ever you are fueding ranting/raving to be private. But it’s a little bogus having this poop clogging up the message boards.
    Top

    fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:39 am

    Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:03 pm
    Posts: 429
    it is one consistent opinion/question on one thread. since u are free to read/respond, or not, it is not clogging anything. i am not the one either offering up insults, calling names or calling for censorship, i am obviously also not joining in with mob mentality. so chill. regaarding GnP, it is a shame you find that enjoyabl to watch/do. it strikes me as being unsportsmanlike and borderline sadistic.
    Top

    foxylicious
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 10:30 am

    Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:04 pm
    Posts: 68
    It’s a competition, between two consenting, able bodied opponents. Going in, both opponents know and agree that the end of the fight could be a result of a submission, a ko or a ground and pound situation….you sound as if the person on the ground didn’t know this before he/she entered the ring (or cage, or whatever it may be). It’s not like the person on the ground is exactly suprised about their situation. Disappointed, probably. But laying there feeling helpless and beat up and suprised about it? Unlikely. That’s when the ref steps in and, well, game over.

    My favorite board shorts say Ground and Pound across the butt. I wear them proudly. Mostly because they fit good but thought I would throw that in since we are on the subject.
    Top

    fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 3:08 pm

    Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:03 pm
    Posts: 429
    no one said the two were unaware or not there voluntarily. it is equally puzzling as to why u would want to be on the ground in such a situation or why u would want to mount and ground and pound someone else. That takes someone with much better psychoanalytical skills than I have. I do find the transfer of responsibility or fault here is fascinating. It seems to be the conventional wisdom that it is the losers’ or injured persons’ fault for being injured. It is said they ‘that they shouldn’t have been in there’ or that they should have tapped or that the ref should reacted earlier. It never seems to be the fault or responsibility of the person on top raining fists and elbows. They seem to be the innocent one. Seems a bit like Bizzarro World where everything is backwards.
    Last edited by fight4you on Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

    Top

     

    AnnaTrocity
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:32 pm
    less internet
    Last edited by AnnaTrocity on Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

    Top

    fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:46 pm

    Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:03 pm
    Posts: 429
    Anna, I commend your honesty. You cut through the BS and get to the basics
    Top

    ktnzgtklws
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 4:57 pm

    Joined: Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:48 pm
    Posts: 47
    Location: Tucson, AZ
    What more does fight4u have to do to get themselves banned? If this post doesn’t prove their anti-MMA bias, I really don’t know what will. Just go back and read some of their prior posts, and replies to others!
    I appreciate people who are willing to take a controversial stand, it helps to explore points that may not have been thought. However, time and again, they have come off far too strongly for this poster as not controversial, but confrontational, and against what this board stands for.
    If the mods aren’t going to do anything about this person, then it is each individual poster’s responsibility to do what people all over the internet must do on a daily basis; ignore the trolls!!
    Top

    MNkkgMMA
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:12 pm
    Pro Fighter

    Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005 7:37 am
    Posts: 542
    Location: minnesota
    Fight4you, I agree that it’s a forum where every one has the right to his or her own opinion, but you take it too far. You make your post, tell us all how you feel, and then feel the need to challenge absolutely every one elses posts if they dffer from your own. Make your point, once, not twenty five freaking times.
    I’m sure you get this a lot, but do you have a life at all? Seriously just shut up for a change.
    Top

    fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:45 pm

    Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:03 pm
    Posts: 429
    wow , some of you sure do demand conformity and group-think!

    and i imagine u consider yourselves to be rebels.

    this is a discussion forum, i state an opinion

    i don’t call you names

    i don’t demand your banishment or a restriction of your expression

    you don’t have to read anything i say

    and u don’t have to respond

    u love to watch a bloody ground and pound but typed words of a different opinion makes u nuts and takes away your center.

    why so threatened by someone who is not entertained by watching someone’s head being pounded in the mat while in a cage?

    it’s a different opinion. roll with it, learn from it or ignore it. stop trying to be the thought-police. that’s a bit stalinist.
    Top

    foxylicious
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:48 am

    Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:04 pm
    Posts: 68
    I will talk to Chad, we discussed it briefly a few days ago.
    Top

    foxylicious
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 12:52 am

    Joined: Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:04 pm
    Posts: 68
    AnnaTrocity wrote:
    I’ve got your psycho analisis.

    Hitting people is fun, that’s really pretty much all there is to it. I suppose you could pretend there’s some deeper meaning to it all… I don’t think there is. But whatever.

    I don’t really have a problem with the fact that we’re trying to hurt each other. I embrace my inner gladiator.

    “He did not care anymore. Life and death, the same, Only that the crowd would be there to greet him with howls of lust and fury.”

    Image
    That’s the most awesome thing I’ve ever heard.
    Top

    Executioner
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Feb 04, 2007 1:13 pm

    Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 1:48 pm
    Posts: 444
    Location: Netherlands
    ktnzgtklws wrote:
    What more does fight4u have to do to get themselves banned? If this post doesn’t prove their anti-MMA bias, I really don’t know what will. Just go back and read some of their prior posts, and replies to others!
    I appreciate people who are willing to take a controversial stand, it helps to explore points that may not have been thought. However, time and again, they have come off far too strongly for this poster as not controversial, but confrontational, and against what this board stands for.
    If the mods aren’t going to do anything about this person, then it is each individual poster’s responsibility to do what people all over the internet must do on a daily basis; ignore the trolls!!
    Congrats for this post, touche!
    Advice to everyone here, ignore that troll.
    Top

    voly
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 3:57 pm

    Joined: Sun Sep 05, 2004 12:35 pm
    Posts: 85
    “Hitting people is fun, that’s pretty much all there is to it,” according to a preceding post. That’s it?

    Doesn’t the presence of competition enter into the equation?

    Isn’t part of the appeal the fact that the prospective target is a (reasonably capable) opponent who is also intent on delivering kicks and punches?
    Top

    fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 5:55 pm

    Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:03 pm
    Posts: 429
    If that was the case then it wouldn’t be allowed to pin someone and pound them. the bulk of the viewing public for the UFC wants to see a real beatdown rather than a fake one like WWE. Remember, the UFC did not start with all these rounds, rule, judges,etc. Those only came to save the UFC as an event and TV show when many mayors and athletic commisions were being successful in banning it. I imagine you’ll fand many fans who prefer the old version
    Last edited by fight4you on Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

    Top

    AnnaTrocity
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:53 pm
    less internet
    Last edited by AnnaTrocity on Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

    Top

    AnnaTrocity
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Feb 05, 2007 8:54 pm
    less internet
    Last edited by AnnaTrocity on Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

    Top

    fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:33 am

    Joined: Tue Aug 10, 2004 12:03 pm
    Posts: 429
    Anna likes to hit and hurt them – until pulled off. Honest woman.
    Top

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?