Gina Carano does it again

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

satanico
    Post subject: Gina Carano does it again Post Posted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 8:00 pm

Of the 10 fighters scheduled to compete on Saturday’s Showtime-televised card at the Blaisdell Arena, only Gina Carano had issue making weight, and even then it was just by one-tenth of a pound.

Carano, who came it at 141.1 pounds, appeared weak while doing a one-leg balancing act on the scale. With promoters briefly discussing whether the Las Vegan would need to drop the weight, Carano’s opponent Tonya Evinger looked on, surprised to learn that there was a one-pound weight allowance.

Carano, shaky and on weak legs, rushed to take a seat, where she gulped down Pedialite before Evinger finally conceded and the fight was made official. As the two squared off for the traditional staredown, Carano barely had the energy to keep her arms raised, eventually opting to fold them across her chest.

Fight at 145-150 lbs. already. This is a bad habit.

Josh Barnett
    Post subject: Re: Gina Carano does it againPostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 1:06 pm
    Pro Fighter

satanico wrote:
    Of the 10 fighters scheduled to compete on Saturday’s Showtime-televised card at the Blaisdell Arena, only Gina Carano had issue making weight, and even then it was just by one-tenth of a pound.

Carano, who came it at 141.1 pounds, appeared weak while doing a one-leg balancing act on the scale. With promoters briefly discussing whether the Las Vegan would need to drop the weight, Carano’s opponent Tonya Evinger looked on, surprised to learn that there was a one-pound weight allowance.

Carano, shaky and on weak legs, rushed to take a seat, where she gulped down Pedialite before Evinger finally conceded and the fight was made official. As the two squared off for the traditional staredown, Carano barely had the energy to keep her arms raised, eventually opting to fold them across her chest.

Fight at 145-150 lbs. already. This is a bad habit.
    To clarify, there was a 1 pound allowance and when all was said and done instead of making her take her shorts off for the .1 pound, they just said OK. There was NO WAY that she wouldn’t have been over 140 with her shorts. Hell, her bikini top weighs more the .1 pounds.

Maybe she had a hard time making it but she did make it.

Josh

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 1:11 pm
    Pro Fighter

I have mixed feelings about that, ’cause I’ve had to cut weigth HARD, by like grappling in a sauna suit, not drinking for three days, eating an apple over the course of a day, and it SUCKS – it’s hell in a bottle. So I feel bad for her, especially if it’s really bad for her health. But at the same time, I think she should fight at a heavier weight.

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:40 pm
    Fightergirls elite poster

roxi… generally speaking, i believe gina can physically (body composition-wise) make 140 or 135 without much problem, it’s just a matter of either getting better at cutting/dieting or staying leaner and closer to fight weight. being that dehydrated and the condition she was in at the weigh-in starts to get dangerous, and it is not fair to herself, opponent, or the fight itself (imo).

there’s not much for gina right now at 145+ other than poss moving up to fight cris…her best matchups are at 135-140 so i think it’s up to her to get where she needs to be. i agree with josh tho .1 a ridiculous amount to give her a hard time about, she is making weight right now but it’s the way she is doing it and the concern for her health that’s the issue.

Pankration_MuayThai
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 10:50 pm
    Pro Fighter

most fighters cut weight. Some are more dramatic about it then others. She’s probably fine. She didn’t look tired during either fight. People are just making a bigger deal over it cause she’s a girl. Guys look tired at the weigh ins all the time.

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:05 am

*smile*@”dramatic”…i think her condition at that time was legit, male or female it’s not ideal to have to cut that much or get that dehydrated, you’re right tho she did look fine during the fight. i’m just saying if she’s able to dial it in better it will resolve the whole weight issue and will be a healthi-er way for her to go in…

fem-ma
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:57 am

GFC wrote:
    there’s not much for gina right now at 145+ other than poss moving up to fight cris…her best matchups are at 135-140 so i think it’s up to her to get where she needs to be. i agree with josh tho .1 a ridiculous amount to give her a hard time about, she is making weight right now but it’s the way she is doing it and the concern for her health that’s the issue.
    Carano wouldn’t be getting a hard time if she’d bothered making weight previously though.

I also agree that she should be able to make the 135- 140 lb if she keelt her weight before cutting closer to her fighting weight. There have been lots of reports of ter being “weak” and “unable” to cut further but she doesn’t seem to be as cut as other female fighters look when they weight in.

Maulinator
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 9:54 am
    Pro Fighter

Quote:
    being that dehydrated and the condition she was in at the weigh-in starts to get dangerous, and it is not fair to herself, opponent, or the fight itself (imo).
    Are you freaking kidding me? Since when is not making weight not fair to the fighter that has to make weight? Or her opponent for that matter? Yeah it’s .1 over, but it’s .1 that anyone else would have had to cut, especially considering the track record.

The whole debacle is freakin ridiculous I think. Make weight or fight people your own size.

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 10:58 am

molly, .1 is making weight she could have easily stripped and made it. i’m just saying when/if a fighter is near dehydrated coma condition (which she would not have had to be in if she dialed-in her diet/cut better) it is not fair going into a fight in that condition for anyone, because then if something happens the result is due to the “weight issue” and not based on the normal healthy performance of the fighter. gina even stated after the fight that she still did not feel 100% going in, and admitted it was simply a case of her not getting into condition sooner. she can and does make the weight i just don’t like seeing any fighter come into a fight not 100% and risk their health or a loss when it can easily be avoided.

debi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:12 am
    Fightergirls Pro Fight Team

Id fight id fight id fight id fight * waiving hands in the air

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:42 am

debi wrote:
    Id fight id fight id fight id fight * waiving hands in the air
    lol…as you said i don’t think gina will have a problem, not sure what the deal with tara is tho.. 😉

ShdwPrwler
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 12:28 pm

Gina may not have a problem, but I’m pretty certain Gary Shaw would. 😆

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 5:55 pm

there is something a bit weird about the unhealthy effect of cutting weight like that

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:27 pm

well there is a science and art to healthy optimal cutting. between 7-10 lbs out from whatever your target weight should be safe and effective. but when you start to go much over that amount it can become counterproductive and dangerous. being moderately tired is normal until re-hydration, but when it is to the point you cannot stand or are passing out it can not only detract from your performance due to weakness but also cause serious damage. and you don’t always know when that stamina wall may hit, even if it’s at 4:30 of the final round and you tank that could cause you to lose when you’d normally win.
    Last edited by GFC on Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cosmic
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 6:33 pm

Maulinator wrote:
    The whole debacle is freakin ridiculous I think. Make weight or fight people your own size.
    Yep, I agree, make weight or fight people your own size.

hanoverfist
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:58 am

first of all .1 is really trivial and like Josh said she could have just stripped and made it so the whole “not making weight ” issue for that fight is really a non issue because she did make weight. And it was a nice show of class from Evingers camp for not pushing the issue and making her strip for the media hounds. However her condition after cutting the weight is a bit suprising especially coming from Coutures camp. You would think Randy and /or his trainers would show Gina how to cut that weight properly, I mean Randy is king of cutting weight he’s held belts in three different weight classes for crying out loud. And I don’t think it was a matter of discipline on Ginas part, maybe some personal issues whether physical or otherwise that hindered her.

Rosi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:19 am
    Pro Fighter

I’m still unclear as to what the agreement was regarding the catchweight and the 1lb allowance. From some accounts, it sounds like Evinger wasn’t expecting there to be one.

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:29 am

absolutely, gina has the ideal training/cutting resources with randy – she admitted it has just been an issue of her not getting into condition herself. but i think she has made the choice to change all that and hopefully will stick with it from now on. that was the point, so far we have only really been seeing a ‘not in optimal condition’ carano…

and rosi, yeah from what i understand tonya simply was not aware of the 1 lb rule, so prob just a case of not checking out the contract…
    hanoverfist wrote:
    first of all .1 is really trivial and like Josh said she could have just stripped and made it so the whole “not making weight ” issue for that fight is really a non issue because she did make weight. And it was a nice show of class from Evingers camp for not pushing the issue and making her strip for the media hounds. However her condition after cutting the weight is a bit suprising especially coming from Coutures camp. You would think Randy and /or his trainers would show Gina how to cut that weight properly, I mean Randy is king of cutting weight he’s held belts in three different weight classes for crying out loud. And I don’t think it was a matter of discipline on Ginas part, maybe some personal issues whether physical or otherwise that hindered her.

Rosi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:41 am
    Pro Fighter

Quote:
    and rosi, yeah from what i understand tonya simply was not aware of the 1 lb rule, so prob just a case of not checking out the contract…
    The thing that makes it look a little suspect is that the last time she fought at 140 on the same show there was no 1lb allowance.

warrior14
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:18 pm
    Pro Fighter

I know for an absolute fact that the time I fought for them, they did NOT give us a 1lb allowance. That’s all I’m saying.

voly
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 12:58 pm

Conflict and controversy at the weigh in are part of the pugilistic tradition, and it’s possible that promoters welcome the disputes which occasionally occur during that procedure.

Why not just designate a weight limit of 141 pounds with no allowance instead of a 140 pound limit with the allowance of a pound? Too uncomplicated and unambiguous?

Fashion note….In a large proportion of the sports where physical contact or proximity occurs, the competitors wear uniforms or outfits of contrasting color. In judo one contestant wears blue and the opponent wears white, while blue and red are the colors used in freestyle wrestling – helps the officials and the spectators to distinguish between them. Gina Garano and Tonya Evinger both chose black, and fortunately they didn’t have the same hair color…a cage does not provide the best possible visibility.

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:45 pm

there was also a 1 lb allowance in the kedzie fight (gina was .25 over and weighed-in at 141.25 w/clothes) and this rule applies also for any non-title fights as far as i know…will try to get official verification of it tho. but i do think it would be a good standard policy for each org to post their rules and weight division info or any modifications.

again gina is making weight, the issue is how and her condition getting there.
    even at 141 she has fairly smooth muscle definition, no visible fighter 6-pack, it’s not solid weight it’s just some added BF from not conditioning and cutting properly. if anything it’s a detriment and weakening factor for gina…
    she simply needs to get (and stay) more fit, tight, and strong closer to 135-140 so she can cut a bit if needed but still stays in optimum condition…gotta be to defend against sh-wings n things. 😉

Last edited by GFC on Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ruby
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:02 pm

GFC wrote:
    there was also a 1 lb allowance in the kedzie fight (gina was .25 over and weighed-in at 141.25 w/clothes) and this rule applies also for any non-title fights as far as i know…will try to get official verification of it tho. but i do think it would be a good standard policy for each org to post their rules and weight division info or any modifications.

again gina is making weight, the issue is how and her condition getting there.
    even at 141 she has very little muscle definition, no visible fighter 6-pack, it’s not quality weight it’s just extra baggage from not conditioning and cutting properly. if anything it’s a detriment and weakening factor for gina…
    she simply needs to get (and stay) more fit, tight, and strong closer to 135-140 so she can cut a bit if needed but still stays in optimum condition…gotta be to defend against sh-wings n things. 😉

I am sort of new to this, but I dont really see the big deal. If Gina doesnt know how to properly manage her weight and chooses to do so in an unhealthy manner, then that is on her. Just as long as she does make the weight. Now if organizations are making special arrangements for certain fighters, then I could see how this could be a problem.

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 8:33 pm

if there are “special arrangements” that is obviously not fair and should be looked into. either way tho gina is not near ripped condition even at 141…
    Last edited by GFC on Thu Sep 20, 2007 3:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rosi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:31 pm
    Pro Fighter

Quote:
    there was also a 1 lb allowance in the kedzie fight (gina was .25 over and weighed-in at 141.25 w/clothes)
    No there wasn’t. Kedzie was told there would be no 1lb allowance. Carano weighed in at 140.25 and was given the difference.

Quote:
    Now if organizations are making special arrangements for certain fighters
    This is exactly the problem people are having. Making weight for most fighters means stepping on the scales under your contracted weight. If we want women to be taken as seriously as men in the sport, then the same rules should apply.

When organizations are changing the weight of a fight after the contract is signed, then adding mysterious 1lb allowances that weren’t there for previous fights, and then allowing for clothes on top of that, you can’t blame people for seeing that as “special arrangements”.

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:27 am

rosi, where did you get that info?
    wrestling observer news release:

snip—At today’s weigh-in for the EXC debut show tomorrow night in Southhaven, MS, the athletic commission avoided a spectacle when Gina Carano weighed in at 141.25 pounds in a fight contracted at 140.

With the one pound allowance since it wasn’t a title fight, apparently a lot of people in the audience were salivating over the prospect she would have to strip to make weight. Instead the commission ruled that her clothing constituted a quarter pound and gave her the okay.—snip

however *if* an org is ever making any special arrangements of course i would agree that is way out of line, but in that case it would be their fault and issue, not the fighters…
    Last edited by GFC on Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:57 am, edited 2 times in total.

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:38 am

additional sources…

mma weekly:

“Gina Carano (141.25)”

“Gina Carano – 141.25”

“Gina Carano (141.25)”
    btw…if it was sherdog message boards no problem, grrl! 😉

Rosi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:06 am
    Pro Fighter

My mistake on the weigh in weight. She was over by more than I thought.

I KNOW that Julie was told no 1lb allowance though. Added to that is Shayna’s comment above.
    Last edited by Rosi on Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:21 am

hmmm….ok, yeah that is curious then. if it was ruled and reported as an allowance and julie was told no allowance something is phishy there…
    …and, if they were doing it to favor gina why would they even call no allowance knowing julie wouldn’t be the one having more problems going over, ‘not’ having a 1 lb allowance certainly doesn’t favor gina, this makes no sense right now… 😕

maybe they called no allowance to favor julie, gina came in 1 lb over, and julie just said screw the 1 lb…

fem-ma
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:51 am

GFC wrote:
    Just looking at the picture above. Does anyone think that Carano may just have weighed a pound or two heavier again if she’d been made to stand on the scales properly?

Rosi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:09 am
    Pro Fighter

Quote:
    …and, if they were doing it to favor gina why would they even call no allowance knowing julie wouldn’t be the one having more problems going over, ‘not’ having a 1 lb allowance certainly doesn’t favor gina, this makes no sense right now…
    I wouldn’t think they planned it to favour either fighter. Not having an allowance on catch weights is (apparently) fairly standard practice. More likely they changed it at the last minute when their star was having trouble making weight.

Whatever happened, though, the whole situation reeks of unprofessionalism. And who uses BATHROOM SCALES for a weigh in on a professional show FFS?

Anyhow, I’ve said all I’ve got to say on the subject.

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:22 am

nahh…and that pic is just when she first got on, later she put both feet down and stood on it for about 20 seconds…

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 2:33 am

well i won’t assume what took place, but evidently your main issues are with elite xc policy and if they are favoring anyone (not just gina everyone used the same scale) then that is understandable…
    Rosi wrote:
    Quote:
    …and, if they were doing it to favor gina why would they even call no allowance knowing julie wouldn’t be the one having more problems going over, ‘not’ having a 1 lb allowance certainly doesn’t favor gina, this makes no sense right now…
    I wouldn’t think they planned it to favour either fighter. Not having an allowance on catch weights is (apparently) fairly standard practice. More likely they changed it at the last minute when their star was having trouble making weight.

Whatever happened, though, the whole situation reeks of unprofessionalism. And who uses BATHROOM SCALES for a weigh in on a professional show FFS?

Anyhow, I’ve said all I’ve got to say on the subject.

scarce
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:44 am

i have yet to see the video———–

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?