Good Luck Adrienna. :)

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

Shyenne
    Post subject: Good Luck Adrienna. 🙂 PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:42 pm

For those of you who didn’t know yet AJ is fighting next weekend on Kauai at the Island Cage Match 3. Here is an interview she did for the local news paper.

Jenkins ready for big fight

By Duane Shimogawa Jr. – The Garden Island
    Posted: Thursday, Mar 09, 2006 – 03:49:21 am HST

If you ask most of Adrienna “AJ” Jenkins’ classmates from Kapa’a High School about what she’s been up to the past seven years since graduation, they’ll probably tell you something very different they’ll probably tell you something very different from what she’s been doing.

“When they see me on the internet with my fight photos, they’re like ‘What happened, she was so quiet in high school,'” Jenkins said in a phone interview.

On Saturday, March 25, her classmates and others will be able to see for the first time — AJ in action against Arizona’s Mystee Blackwood at Hanation against Arizona’s Mystee Blackwood at Hanapepe Stadium.

The Third Annual Garden Isle MMA Cage Match makes its outdoor debut on the island, with a slew of Kaua’i fighters, as well as top contenders from all over the mainland and state converging at the westside venue.

“It’s my first fight on Kaua’i and in the state as well,” Jenkins said.

But what’s more exciting to Jenkins is the fact that she’ll be in her hometown with her biggest fans that she’ll be in her hometown with her biggest fans watching.

“This is probably the biggest fight of my life. My mom guys get to see it. It feels like a world title fight,” Jenkins said.

But there’s more than in-the-ring action for the 5’9″ 135 lbs. mixed martial artist, who is currently in Iowa, studying to become a physical therapist. Her roots in the islands remain strong, with her mom holding down the fort on Kaua’i and her dad residing on Moloka’i.

The 1999 Kapa’a graduate went to Kaua’i Community College (KCC) and then ventured off to O’ahu and did a little bit of schooling, before heading off to St. Ambrose College in Iowa.

Along the way, she got engaged to former UFC Along the way, she got engaged to former UFC lightweight champ, Jens Pulver, who was basically the reason for her move to the midwest.

Last year, Pulver and Jenkins held MMA seminars on the island, which supported the Kapa’a Boys and Girls Club.

“It’s good for rape prevention and it just keeps me in really good shape,” Jenkins said about the sport. When she was 17, a friend challenged her to become an MMA fighter, so to prove him wrong, she started training with Bruno Ewald. “I started flying to O’ahu to do tournaments and I also ended up training with Relson Gracie. I really go into it after that. It’s a constant sport. There’s always something to learn,” Jenkins said.

She’s currently under the direction of world-renowned Team Miletech and also trains with Alley Cat Boxing Club.

Though she seems fairly new to the sport with just a 4-1 record, Jenkins remains confident that she’ll keep on fighting as long as there are other women who want to fight.

“There are two sides to it. There aren’t many MMA women fighters, so it might not go anywhere and in a way your confidence depletes, but I do feel confident that I’m a part of something that not a lot of people do,” Jenkins said.

But for now, she’ll concentrate on her next opponent, Mystee Blackwood, who mostly utilizes the art of kickboxing.

“I’m figuring it’s going to be a good stand up fight. I just usually train for what I like to do,” Jenkins said.

I just want to wish my sister good luck in her fight! I’m very excited to see her next weekend. I don’t know who Mystee is but I do know she will have her hands full with AJ.

kopter1
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:40 am

Mystee has no chance against adrienna. Her results are not so good.
    Adrienna will finish her!
    http://www.fightergirls.com

Maulinator
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 11:53 am
    Pro Fighter

Go get ’em girl!

I am really bummed I will not be around to see the fight live so your better call me ASAP after the fight!

OR ELSE!!! 😈

8)

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:22 pm
    Instructor

kopter1 wrote:
    Mystee has no chance against adrienna. Her results are not so good.
    Adrienna will finish her!

Records aren’t everything. She’s fought some tough opponents. I mean, Michelle Farrow is 6-0 and outweighs her by 20 lbs. (though maybe she didn’t when they fought….I don’t know).

That said, I’m rooting for AJ!

warrior14
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 1:59 pm
    Pro Fighter

AJ all the way!!! GO AJ!!!!

KhorneliusPraxx
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 6:59 am

I guess they got a trip to Hawaii…that’s something.

Mystee
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 12:32 pm

I was outweighted in the fight with Michelle, but Michelle is an awesome fighter. Her record is actually 12 or 13 and 2 with her only 2 losses being in a ring, no losses in a cage ever. Everyone likes to win, but I try to make sure I fight the best. Win or lose, I still know the hard work and dedication I put into what I do. And I also know that I have never had an ‘easy’ fight handed to me.

My record, as well as AJ’s and Michelle’s, as listed on Sherdog is incorrect…but that goes for a large number of male fighters as well.

That being said, I know everyone in hawaii is excited to see AJ fight there, I wish her the best of luck and hope that we give the crowd there a fight that they will remember.

By the way, kopter1, got the email 😉

kopter1
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 2:43 pm

Mystee wrote:
    IThat being said, I know everyone in hawaii is excited to see AJ fight there, I wish her the best of luck and hope that we give the crowd there a fight that they will remember.:wink:

I also hope that it will be an interesting fight!

FoxfireJessE
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Mar 15, 2006 4:50 pm

Wish I could see this one in person!!!! Good luck to both ladies.

Shyenne
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 1:47 am

There is a ton of hype about this fight. This is the fight time AJ is fighting at home so it will be exciting. Hopefully the extremely bad weather calms down and they won’t have to fight in the rain.

chad
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 5:23 am
    Fightergirls elite poster

Hope the weather allows the show!!!

Best wishes to both the fighters!

Chad

Shanti
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:45 am

Unfortunately, it seems noone has been informed of the terrible turn of events. I don’t want to get into a whole discussion about it, but will link everyone to the information:

Of course, I realize that this is just a prime opportunity for trash talking; but I know Mystee would want everyone partially informed even though the issue involving one of her children is too personal to disclose as she trys to keep her children out of her work. And no, I will not be coming in and out of her defending the talk as it is my job to work on marketing/PR/websit admin duties, etc for her. I just wanted to inform since it seems that the people who know the real situation have not announced it yet (and frankly I’m not sure as to why).

For the recored, i know the situation well as I’ve known Mystee for years and am at her house currently with her youngest child while she is speaking with legal reps.

Maulinator
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:10 am
    Pro Fighter

Maybe Mystee should reconsider her “profession” and take some time off to take care of her family.

Jeff
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:05 pm

Agreed.

Shyenne
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:34 pm

I understand Mystee has personal problems but that doesn’t mean that another girl should show up in her place and take a free vacation. What BS.

XcashXmoneyX
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:55 pm
    Pro Fighter

man…what a crock.
    does this mean im going to show up in cleveland at 120lbs and not have an opponent?
    that sucks AJ…at least you got to go back home though!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?