GOOO Danica IM a fan and a supporter

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

debi
    Post subject: GOOO Danica IM a fan and a supporter Post Posted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 7:50 am
    Fightergirls Pro Fight Team

Laughable

That the men want to have a new weight rule in motor sports because of Danica Patrick.

blah blah about how they were thinking about it before she almost outran them at indie. bottom line is they never did. perhaps they should think of losing some weight and drinking less beer.

Maybe they should make the jockeys add weight to the horses if a 6’f a bigger guy decides he wants to be a jockey.

The good O’l boy attitude personally makes me sick. Perhaps thats why im not a fan of motor sports.

I am a FAN of DANICA, you go girl and get on with your bad self. even if they make you add weight to your car, I know that is not going to slow you down, prove them wrong, your doing more for the the sport then they ever could. 😡

KhorneliusPraxx
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:08 am

My 2 brothers and I are suppose to go to the IRL race in Nashville this weekend. I am not for or against her just because she is a woman. I am however for her because she races for Letterman. What she did at Indy was flat out amazing. I hope I can get a good picture of her, and maybe even an autograph.

KhorneliusPraxx
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 8:10 am

I said ‘suppose to’ because it’s been pretty soggy around her because of hurricane residue. Hopefully, it doesn’t get delayed or postponed. DAMN, HURRICANES! 😡

luvmachine
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:14 am

motor”sports”? its driving a car

ray
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 10:22 am

Before I make a few comments on this, bear in mind I have
    a lot of respect for the opinions of people on this board and
    do not mean to offend. However, I have a somewhat different
    take on this as someone who follows IRL pretty
    closely:

1) First, Danica is awesome and I think she would be
    competitive regardless.

2) There is no disputing that on the superspeedways, a
    vehicle of lighter weight will go faster than a heavier
    vehicle. This is why the cars go faster on lighter
    fuel loads. It is basic physics and nobody disputes it.

3) I quit watching CART races a few years back when the
    just over 100 lb. Brazilian driver DeMatta started dominating.
    So this is not just a male/female thing — people have
    been griping about it for years.

4) It may be just me, but if we get to the point where all race
    car drivers have the build of jockeys I’lll quit watching.

5) NASCAR has the right idea — if people really want equality
    there should not be objection to the cars being the same
    weight.

6) It is really unfortunate that the media has perpetuated
    the notion that just came up because of Danica. I am not
    a fan of false premises and the idea that the boys are
    whining just because the don’t want to get beat by a girl
    and for no other reason is just a bunch of b.s.

7) All of the above said, I think it would be impossible for
    IRL to change the rule now given that it would look like it
    was aimed at Danica. As she is attracting more fans to
    the sport than any other driver I would be very surprised
    if we see it.

Ray

KhorneliusPraxx
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:32 am

luvmachine wrote:
    motor”sports”? its driving a car

and yet, what she has done this year has been amazing and I have heard some people say that what she did in the Indianapolis 500 was the biggest accomplishment by a female in sports history. (so far)

dl_angel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 12:56 pm

I have no issue with them weighing down her car IF they set a weight for EVERYONE and then weigh down the guy’s cars too… because there has GOT to be a difference between some of the weights of the guys, yet I’ve never heard anyone complaining about THAT.

So weigh everyone in prior to the race, balance it out so everyone’s even, and then let the race begin. I’m afraid they’ll JUST worry about HER weight, and then weigh her car down so she’s even more than some of the guys? I think people just assume girls weigh less… there’s a pretty good range of weights for guys though.

I do feel like it was an attempt to keep women out of the sport though… I was REALLY mad when I read that article. AND it’s not just about weight- you can GO really fast, but if you don’t know how to drive at those speeds and your car isn’t made to take corners that fast, etc. you’re gonna crash… I thought Nascar was more about skill- determining how fast to go depending on weather conditions, car ability, the cars around you, etc. If she’s going THAT much faster because she’s lighter, then she also has to be THAT much more skilled of a driver to be able to handle her car at those speeds? Technically, if weight was SUCH an issue I would think more guys would be dieting to gain an advantage, but they aren’t…

debi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:05 pm

Motives are everything. The bottom line is, The weight thing is being motivated because some men almost and may very well get beat by a girl. No matter how you want to sum it up or phrase it. That is what it comes down to, and it sucks.

If I come across as harsh or judgmental is because I think its sad that someone who is great at something and deserves the recognition get’s targeted because of their gender. And what makes it worse, is its all based on EGO

debi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 3:08 pm

Yes luvmachine *quiet as its kept* driving an indi car is considered motor sports 🙄

flyguy
    Post subject: re Danica and her weightPostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2005 11:25 pm

I think there may be a liitle bit of hype going on here to get some publicity for IRL ( for whom Danica has been a total godsend).
    A drivers weight is not that critical in IRL or CART . Firstly the cars weigh about 1600lb with full fuel so we are talking 1%, that IS important but it is least important at IRL ovals because the cars run at a near constant and very high speed so relative acceleretion is less than in , say Formula 1 which has lots of slow corners. Weight matters in IRL but downforce, power and driver skill are far more important.

Danica has put on a good show at Indy, I hope she is given time to develop overall as Oval racing is an experience game and it would be a shame if she is seen wrongly as fading away just because she doesn’t win soon.

She is not by the way the first succesful women driver. For those with long memories or high age Shirley Muldowney won the NHRA top fuel drag racing championship many years ago against the men fair and square. She had a struggle getting accepted as a driver at first but once she proved her skill she was treated as a big star by all the fans. She was probably the first woman to win what can fairly be called a ” world championship” against men fair and square. Similar things have happened occaisionally in equestrian events.

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 9:59 am
    Instructor

There have been (and still are) lots of women in drag racing. I think the big deal they are making about Danica is that she’s a first in round track racing.

luvmachine
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Jul 15, 2005 4:03 pm

I was referring to racing in general.

jamesjudo
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 9:18 am

Before we call HER the Best Racer Car Driver of all time lets see if she can Win a Race first right now all she is is HIPE!!!!SHE NEEDS TO WIN A RACE 1ST She is a good driver but not a TOP 10 Driver
    jj

KhorneliusPraxx
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2005 7:10 pm

First, nobody is saying she is the best driver of all time but the fact is that she is the BEST female driver to ever race the Indianapolis 500. There have been plenty of women that have tried before and they get plenty of press but they usually crash out of the race or finish 20 laps down. Danica Patrick almost won the damn thing this year. For a rookie driver to win at Indy it would have been a big deal. For a women driver to win at Indy, it would have been a bigger deal. For a rookie female driver to Indy, well, I think that is one of the signs of the apocalypse. 😆

As for Debi’s concerns that people are trying to keep her down, don’t be concerned. I think the only person that has said anything about her weight, and I may be wrong, was Robby Gordon. He drives in Nascar and isn’t in the Indy Racing League. I have know idea why he even cares. How well she does doesn’t effect him in any way. The only thing that I can think of is that for once some other racing is getting some press in the US other than Nascar and he felt threatened. Very Bizarre!

I haven’t heard anyone in the IRL say anything bad about her. If she is filling seats at the race, everyone wins. By race time this weekend, every seat was pack and 95% of these people were cheering for her. I took some pictures but I need to get them developed before i can share. Hopefully, I have something to share.

I stood outside the Rahal Letterman trailers for over an hour hoping to get a picture and autograph. I was hoping to get a “To Debi…” signed on my schedule to send to her as a suprise. Unfortunately I never got to see her. Hopefully it’s the thought that counts. 🙁

KhorneliusPraxx
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 5:39 am

OK, after further research, Robby Gordon was talking only about the Indianapolis 500 because he also participates in that race normally. Here is an interesting link, pay attention to the poster’s first paragraph after the qoute, CLASSIC!

I got a autograph from Vitor Meira
    He was tiny!!!! 5’7″ and 140lbs.
    I could have tossed him like a football. After checking the stats of most of the drivers in the IRL, they are all tiny (140-150). So the IRL men have a weight advantage of Robby Gordon too! 😛

KhorneliusPraxx
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 5:44 am

Suck that she she crashed out yesterday in Milwaukee. 🙁
    She was running strong and just hit something on the track (water, oil, debris?) Total fluk, not her fault.

JulesK
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 6:04 am
    Pro Fighter

Dude! I just read an article about her and she seems really cool…is she okay?

KhorneliusPraxx
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2005 8:48 am

The have so many safety features that unless it is a horrifying crash the turns the car into confetti, they usually just walk away cussing. Yesterdays crash was simply enough to take the car out of the race, not enough to take her out. She was just frustrated because it wasn’t anyone’s fault, just bad luck.

She will be back in action at the Michigan International Speedway this Sunday, July 31 @ 3:00pm Eastern Time on ABC.

KhorneliusPraxx
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Sep 26, 2005 5:30 am

Horrible finish yesterday but it was enough to wrap up the Rookie of the Year title.
    Sure there were female drivers before her but none have accomplished what she has this year. No wins yet but one last chance, Oct. 16th in California.

2005 Indianapolis 500 – 4th Place
    2005 Indianapolis 500 Rookie of the Year
    2005 Indy Car Series Rookie of the Year

KhorneliusPraxx
    Post subject: Danica Patrick gets first win!!!PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 6:52 am

It was never fair to mention Anna Kournikova’s name in the same sentence as Danica Patrick’s, but Patrick understood.

Kournikova was all about failed potential and commercial appeal and, even worse for women’s sports, smile appeal. The now-retired Russian tennis player never won a singles title even though she was more than capable, but she drew the attention befitting a champion and didn’t seem to be the slightest bit sheepish about it.

Patrick, who became auto racing’s first female winner in IndyCar history on Sunday in Japan, is none of that, never was. But she also knows that for all the attention she had drawn over the first three-plus years of her pro career, much of it because she was the only woman driver and much of it because she also happens to be beautiful, there was a downside no one ever talked about much.

Read More

debi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 7:05 am

Anthony (Maura)

I never read about the autograph thing until just now, thanks so much that was very nice of you. Often times on here, I will post and not come back to read the thread.

🙂

Deb

Cheers to Danica on her win

frankp316
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:08 am
    Fightergirls elite poster

I’m more of a NASCAR fan but Danica has been very good for IRL and she really needed to win a race. It gets the monkey off her back. She doesn’t work for Rahal Letterman anymore. She works for Andretti Green. As for the weight thing, this is something Robby Gordon mentioned a couple of years ago when asked about the possibility of running the Indy 500/Coca Cola 600 double. He used to be an IRL regular. Standardization of weight is already done in NASCAR. They needed to do it in IRL anyway. What about a woman in NASCAR? You might want to take a look at my recent blog post about Chrissy Wallace complete with video. I also posted ESPN’s item about Danica’s win yesterday morning. The bottom line is half the battle is racing good equipment that can win races. Danica has always had that and it’s good that she finally won.

Update:Sirius Radio reported this morning that Chrissy Wallace has signed with Germain Racing to run the full 2009 NASCAR Craftsman Truck Series and for Rookie of The Year.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?