Gotta vent and advice needed

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

Irish_fight
    Post subject: Gotta vent and advice needed PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 9:31 am

I’m.Losing.My.Mind.
    I’ve been dealing with knee issues for years (torn meniscisuses, subluxating kneecaps leading to shredded cartilage and Baker’s cysts that HURT)
    I have been dealing with this latest round since March. Off and on strong painkillers. I’m trying to rest but honestly- how many of you could sit in the house for weeks, months on end? SO I go to class and it hurts. It’s killing me now and all I did yester day was a few kicks, (in air, not on a bag or target) a few forms, and one steps.
    I;m pissed as hell at the doctors. firsttwo doctors wanted to break my tibia/fibula. Three doctors later I have found a conservative doctor who is willing to try physical therapy before surgery, but in the meantime my knee is to the point where it hurts to do the physical therapy exercises.

Long story short:
    It takes FOREVER to get in to see a doctor. I can;t even tape anymore becasue the skin at the back of my knees comes off with the tape.
    I’m SICK of needing heavy painkillers. I want to be able to go a round and not need Vicodin the next day.
    I HATE paying a doctor $300 for him to come in, asl me how the knees are, and leave- in 45 SECONDS…saying see you in six weeks…. you know what six weeks is like if you can;t exercise worth shit and you are in pain? Enough to cry?

Each doc says something else and has a new program.
    I’m going bonkers. I’m 30 and feel like a crippled 60 year old.

Sucks.

nhbSDMF
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 11:06 am

I can relate. I’ve fought through a lot of injuries that have taken quite some time to heal.

My three longest injuries include:

Herniated discs (2) along with complete muscle separation on the right side of my back. That took one year of recovery time, healed without surgery.

Torn Cartilage in my sternum. Took 2 years before the surgery, 9 months after, then another year before I could do anything substancial.

Severe ligament sprain in my right wrist, coming two weeks off recovering from a broken thumb on the same hand. The thumb took 4 months to heal, the wrist isn’t quite finished yet. Neither required surgery.

Each of these injuries has been basically back to back to back, with a 2-6 month interval between where I could exercise to what I consider a good workout.

Injuries are the absolute worst. Keep trying and don’t give up on recovery. The time spent doing “nothing” sucks, but you can get through it. Go for PT and see what happens. All my PT hurt like hell when I went through it (back, thumb, wrist) but they each so far have come back 100%. Don’t let the doctor leave after a brief examination either. You’re paying them, they’ll stay and answer your questions and re-examine you if you want.

I don’t know where you’re located, but lookup Dr. James Andrews  in Birmingham Alabama. He’s about the best there is out there for knees. Hope this helped. Hang in there.

Irish_fight
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2005 6:27 pm

Thanks for your advice and for relating. It helps a lot to hear others tell me about their injuries but that they overcame them. I hear a LOT more people say, “yeah, this happened and i just gave up”

I do get reminders about my whining. One day I was cursing my knee while driving, and came to a stop light, and a woman my age stepped out on crutches- with one leg. I need to remind myself I have a lot to work with and to not let it get me down.

I am in WI, and now have the team doc for the UW Badgers,he is a big knee guy, the best in the area apparently.it’s just that I got to him after 7months of mucking around with other docs.

thanks again- Cathy

debi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:15 am
    Fightergirls Pro Fight Team

HI Irish,
    I was kinda cringing when I read your post. I really feel for you. I myself am just recovering from my fourth acl knee reconstruction and am going in two weeks to have the hardware removed which makes it 7 or 8 knee surgeries now for me total. (cant remember exactly)

They had to put in larger screw because iv had so many and now the screws are protruding out of my knee. Through out these iv managed to fight (sometimes at least) and train. as my first one was 6 years ago. Iv had some docs tell me to quit the sport but my Main ortho surgeon tells me I can compete and to never give up.

I also relate to the vicodine be, careful with them, they are addictive..

I am so tired of rehabbing that the word makes me nauseous lol

I have learned throughout all of this and from my other injures to have a bit of patience finally recover all they way and give my body time to heal I think that was my biggest mistake and hardest lesson learned, is having the train through it attitude

If there is anything I can do in helping you with knee questions or Ortho advice please PM or e-mail me. I do not consider myself an expert by any means, but I do have a lot of personal exp with it and have learned some things a long the way

Lastly Cheer up.. it may take some time but eventually you will be back to your old self and if not a different version which could be just as good 😉

nhbSDMF
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 7:57 am

No prob Cathy. I hope everything turns out well for you with the new doc. Sometimes all you need is to find the right one to get back on track. Don’t give up hope, you can pull through this. Post or PM if you need to vent more.

On a side note, did Vicodin do anything for you (or you Debi)? They gave it to me after my sternum surgery and I just threw it away. I know it’s supposed to be highly addictive, but it did nothing for me as far as pain relief goes and I didn’t see any reason to keep it. Just curious what other people thought of it.

BudoGal
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:18 pm

I personally have never taken vicodin, but my boyfriend’s taken it and he says it does nothing but make him nauseous, doesn’t even take the pain away!!!

luvmachine
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 9:50 am

you need to take like four at once.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?