This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

fight4you
    Post subject: GuysPostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:04 am

So why do so many of the guys in the fight-world look like recent ex-cons from south-central LA? Odd predominance of the tats and skinheads look, don’t you think?

Last edited by fight4you on Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Report this post Post details Warn user Delete post
    Top E-mail Edit post Reply with quote

starbellykeith
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:12 am

Got somethin’ against tats? 😕

I hardly see anything alarming or different with tats on fighters than last four years. A couple examples but as a whole probably 1% (there we go with those damn 1%ers again 8) ).

You should clarify what you mean by “skinhead”. I’ve only noticed what I think you are referring to in California. Florida and the Mid-West up-and-comers are still mostly boy scouts that became wrestlers that then realized they can learn BJJ and boxing. More college degrees by far than rap sheets. Canada and South West they have some small tats or maybe a little hair color but are typical subruban off-shoots of inner city fashions…look more “Momma’s boy” than “thuggish”. Mamma’s boys that can kick my ass without breaking a sweat that is.

There are only two fighters I’m aware of that have been pretty much “outed” as white supremecist if that is what you mean. I’m sure there are more but it’s not like a surge in Arian Nation presence going on.

Sounds like you are watching too much KOTC and WEC,
    KM

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 5:43 pm

I was commenting on appearance not ideology. Replace ‘skinhead’ with ‘chromedome” if you like. and I don’t know what a KOTC or WEC is

chad
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:39 pm
    Fightergirls elite poster

I think they want to look tough or possibly the rebel look…. 😆

Report this post Post details Delete post

starbellykeith
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2004 9:16 pm

fight4you-my apologies, let me back up. KOTC-King Of The Cage and WEC=World Extreme Cagefighting. Both have TV distribution making them in the US the only two I’m aware of you can see at home without buying a video. Both are held on Indian land in central CA about a three hour drive apart along I-5.

Those are where I see the most “street” influence on the fighters’ looks as you mentioned. Tats are everywhere now but CA is about the only place I see “sleeves”, “collars”, and “suits” done on fighters. That is why I said I thougt you were watching too much KOTC and WEC…because looking at just those you have a point but looking at the other shows including UFC I don’t see any more tats and shaved heads than anywhere in public nowadays. Once the fighters in shows like AFC, UFC, or TKO for instance put on their shirts they look pretty normal.

Actually what I’m noticing is more fighters with facial hair, like Ryan Schultz and Rich Clementi.

KM

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:33 am

aren’t the erms for KOTC and WEC a bit odd for an enterprise that seeks validation as a sport rather something underground and an enterprise that seeks wider public acceptance?

Executioner
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 5:11 am

fight4you wrote:
    aren’t the erms for KOTC and WEC a bit odd for an enterprise that seeks validation as a sport rather something underground and an enterprise that seeks wider public acceptance?

Well you should say that also when you pick the name UFC Ultimate Fighting Championship!
    What’s your point? there will be critics anytime and anywhere.
    Wider public acceptance won’t be positive I think.
    Nowadays in KOTC,UFC,Pride etc. their rules are more restricted but in the first series headbutting and elbows were allowed even kick in crotch was allowed.

Do you really think MMA will go mainstream like on the Olympic Games?
    Not even Muay Thai or Kickboxing or Savate is accepted right now.
    Maybe it’s better for MMA to stay a little “underground” like it is now.

starbellykeith
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:38 am

To a large degree I agree with Executioner. This is never going to be anywhere near boxing or pro wrestling in the long run. We’ll hit peaks and valleys but something like consistent coverage in ESPN magazine or weekly non-PPV fights on TV ain’t gonna happen. Once the parents get involved and there never ending “influencing my child” crap the sponsors will balk and it’s back to the underground.

I’m curious where fight4you is going with this. Was there a point or opinion you were trying to make?

KM

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:18 am

I think you two are making it for me, quite well. Thanks.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?