Hello from Iraq

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

Van Fleet
    Post subject: Hello from Iraq PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 7:32 am

Hello from Baghdad!

I’m sure that most of you have absolutely no idea who the hell I am; but for those that do, hi there, I miss you. These last few years have taken me through some incredible challenges and to some amazing parts of the world. It began with enlistment and basic training, later through Officer Candidate School, to commissioning, to Signal Officer Basic Course, to Airborne school, to Germany, and now to Iraq. I’ve met some incredible people on this journey, and experience personal growth each and every day.

I have approximately 40 Soldiers and 130 contractors working for me here. To make a boring explanation short, we maintain the communications for Iraq. My specific group maintains Baghdad. Some days are better than others; most are about 16 plus hours long, except for the couple of hours I have to myself on Sunday mornings. We all get homesick, but the amount of work keeps us occupied. We are definitely building a better tomorrow with all of our hard work now.

I’ve set my office up in an unfinished palace. I was also able to finagle my way into some living quarters here too! I started in a tent, then moved into a small shared trailer, and will be upgrading to my palace room here in a couple of weeks. The place is so huge that I didn’t want it all for myself. A couple of my female supply clerks are going to move in there with me. We will even have our own bathroom! No more wandering out to the latrines in the middle of the night.

As for fun, I have been able to take several helicopter rides to inventory the massive amount of equipment that I am signed for. They fly just over the tops of buildings, which is the closest I’ll ever get to being in the streets. My heart and prayers go out to the brave Soldiers I see leaving the gates every day with their 50 cal carrying, up armored, HMMVWs. I wish that I could go out there with them, but the Army has a different plan for me.

The MMA had to be set aside for a while as I crawled through my military schooling, then in preparation to deploy. For a time in Georgia I began to body build, and am thinking about picking it up again depending on the course of the deployment. I have taken up boxing here though. There are 4 awesome coaches on board here, and boy do they bring on the pain. As long as they find an opponent for me, I could be competing in my first strait boxing match in about 5 weeks. I’ve lost more than 10 pounds from stress and fatigue, and am weighing about 145. I’m hoping to pack on a few more pounds through a hardier diet and a stronger lifting routine. We’ll see what tomorrow brings though.

All in all, this will turn out to be quite an amazing experience. Through the leadership challenges and technical issues, I’m sure that I will come home with a few grey hairs and some deeper crows feet, but I will be a stronger (and probably more irritable) person. LOL.

I hope that you all are doing well. Once every couple of months I check the site to see what’s new. I’m glad to see how large the sport has grown for females. Depending on my career with the military, you all might see me again too.

Take care, and keep up the hard training. You all make me proud.

Chris Van Fleet 8)
    christine.vanfleet@us.army.mil

debi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 11:10 am
    Fightergirls Pro Fight Team

HI* Christine,
    it is GREAT to hear from you. I always get a smile when I hear your doing well. GOOD LUCK on your boxing match I am sure you will do fantastic. and good luck over in Baghdad !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. We miss you as well and hope to see you again soon.

xo
    Debi

satanico
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:13 pm

Hey a couple of months ago I saw the Van Fleets on the Country Music channel promoting MMA. You can see a clip online.

CMT Most Shocking: Ways to Fall in Love
    When he’s watching his wife Christine fight, Steve Van Fleet doesn’t worry. Together, they train military personnel.

http://www.fightergirls.com

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:31 pm
    Instructor

[quote]Hey a couple of months ago I saw the Van Fleets on the Country Music channel promoting MMA. You can see a clip online.[/quote]

That’s awesome! Stay safe in Iraq.

FoxfireJessE
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:47 pm

I had no clue you were serving over in Iraq. I had much respect for you before as a fighter and now much added respect as a soldier. Stay safe and God bless.

TanyaVlahac
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 6:30 pm

Hi Christine,
    Are you kidding , I sure will never forget you — or flying through the air! I swear I had that guillotine!!! Never mind, I was just glad my coach, Pete, drilled me on mount escapes!!!

It was great to read your post, and know what you are up to.

Please take care of yourself, and hope to see you again soon.

Tanya xx00

chad
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:41 pm
    Fightergirls elite poster

Hi Christine,
    Glad to see you on the board again…. Stay off the helicopters!! Advice from a Vet 91A (yes I served)… I miss your smile and hope time goes by quick and safe..

Your friend

Chad

BrianP
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:36 am

Christine, Thank you for your service. God bless you and all soldiers, airmen, sailors and marines!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?