Help on combating pre-fight nerves?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

Anthea
    Post subject: Help on combating pre-fight nerves?!PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 2:22 pm
    Pro Fighter

I’ve only just started to fight (Muay Thai) and have realised I have the worst form of prefight nerves – up until the day before I’m perfectly relaxed and not nervous at all, then come the day of the fight and i’m a complete mess! I’m talking bowel problems and queasy stomach etc etc and i feel like crap 🙁 . However as soon the fight starts I’m fine (and maybe my knowledge of this will make the nerves in the future not so severe) but i was just wondering how other fighters deal with this? I know everyone’s different (this guy at my club is the complete opposite to me- is a nervous wreck right up until the day of the fight then is completely nerve-free come fight day) but any advice would be appreciated! I’ve been told by my trainer i should have more confidence in myself and my ability but I’m scared that there’s a point where you can get too confident and have it work against you- it’s hard to know where this point is tho! 😕

Report this post Post details Warn user Delete post
    Top E-mail Edit post Reply with quote

Joana
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:47 am

Hi
    My remedy for this is listening to the music, you don’t have to wory that u’ll become too confident, but it should help you to reduce the stress.

dl_angel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Oct 12, 2004 5:46 pm

My trainer says the same thing about the confidence bit… I’m just not sure how to get there. 🙄

Right now, I’m like the guy at your club— I’ve been feeling like crap, knowing my first fight’s coming up at the beginning of November. It sort of ends up ruining my workouts- anxiety, stomach problems, migraines… ugg.

I’m guessing I’ll probably feel the same- if not worse- until after the fight. Unfortunately, I haven’t found any good cure for it. You might try meditating though- sometimes I just do some deep breathing between rounds when I spar or before I spar. It’s somewhat helpful but I’ve been trying to be discreet so I can’t really do a lot… haha.

Erin T
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 7:56 am
    Pro Fighter

Anthea — In all honestly, IMO, it IS the experience factor. As of right now, I have had 15 fights – do I still get “nervous”? Yes. But the difference is knowing how to CONTROL it. If there EVER comes a time where I am not nervous – then I might wanna quite fighting. Nerves are a part of fighting – and I think they can help you with your fighting. That is, if you don’t let them completely take over your mind and body (which seems to be your problem right now)

Before the fight – I am fine. Once I walk in the ring – I am fine.
    I am only nervous when I start warming up. All my adrenaline, etc. is ready to explode – but you have to welcome that. You are going to be in a FIGHT! I love traveling; I love the wiegh-in’s; I love the picture taking; and of course, I love winning. So all that “nervousness” is worth it for me. After 5 years of competing as a professional – certain things HAVE subsided – but again, it’s my knowledge of KNOWING how to CONTROL these things. And that (IMO) can only come with time and experience.

All fighters at one point or another experience these things. I remember there was a guy (who had quite a few fights) who was getting his blood pressure taken before a boxing match. they did not let him fight cause his blood pressure was going through the roof. Maybe he still had not learned how to control his mind….but fighting is (AT LEAST) 75% mental – you better have a strong mind if you’re gonna get in there and put your life on the line.

Try writing out how you feel and meditating – which is what I do. It can really work and it centers you. Hope that helps.

Erin Toughill

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 5:31 pm

Right before my first (and only, so far) MMA fight, Mark Kerr was standing right next to me (I had no idea) and he said “Remember…the anticipation of the fight is worse than the fight itself.”

I looked up and saw that it was Mark Kerr. I said “Hey Mark…I’m a big fan of yours”. He looked at me like I was nuts. haha.

Anyway…

I’ve been told that good training will give you confidence. If you trained hard, you’ll know it.

I’ve heard that, at the high level, the actual fight itself is nothing compared to the training.

A really well known Muay Thai trainer in England (Dave Jackson) told me that one of the most important parts of being a trainer is building confidence in your fighters. He said confidence plays a huge role in fights, especially at the beginner fights.

Ko2

Last edited by KnockOut2 on Thu Oct 14, 2004 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.

Anthea
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2004 11:00 pm
    Pro Fighter

Thanks everyone for your helpful comments/advice/anecdotes! 😀

I’ve been thinking about this a lot in the last few weeks and i have to say that i’m feeling a lot more confident about this fight next week than i was about the last one. I think one of the biggest differences in my build up has been the fact that I’ve had the time to do more running – this gives me a chance to relax and visualise about my fight and also enables me to work through any problems i’m having with my technique etc.

I think in my last fight i was too preoccupied with thinking (and convincing myself) how undertrained i was, and so in training i would end up just continually getting frustrated with how things weren’t working the way they used to rather than foccusing on my actual fight.

Like Erin said, i have to learn how to deal with and enjoy ‘riding the wave’ of adrenaline that i get before stepping into the ring, and use it to my advantage rather than letting it get me down. I’m the one that chooses to fight, and thinking about why i made the choice makes things clearer.

and to quote one of the guys in my club: “don’t spend time worrying about your opponent- they’re only out there to make you look good”… 😛

Anthea

dl_angel
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:48 am

It’s so helpful to hear other people experience the same things. 🙂

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?