Hi All!!! :)

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

Mma girl
    Post subject: Hi All!!! :)PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:18 am

Hi everyone, I’m new to the forum, just heard it mentioned on Cage warriors forum so I thought I’d come check it out. Its a really cool forum, I never realised there was so much going on in female fighting. I’m just a beginner to MMA, having only been training since April but I’ve done a couple of submission comps and I’ve got my first MMA fight in Jan. Has anyone got any good advide on fighting, what to train for MMA etc? At the moment, i do a combination of submission, boxing, muay thai and wrestling. Also I train with guys 99% of the time, is it any different fighting girls?

Report this post Post details Warn user Delete post
    Top E-mail Edit post Reply with quote

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:38 am

cool…welcome to the forum.
    You’re certainly diving right into the deep end with competing within a year of training. Has anyone else on here fought so quickly after they started training?

I know that Ilonka Elmont (Kickboxer) fought really early and even won a world title within 2 years. Frank Shamrock won King of Pancrase within 2 years of his beginning of training. Some people take to training faster than others.

How did you do in the submission comps?

I’d say one of the main things to work on before your first fight is conditioning. Your technique will go to shit if your body can’t maintain a high level of output. Many fighters say that the the first few fights are 90% nerves and that you waste a lot of your energy during the day before the fight even starts. If you watch amateur competitions, you will often see the fighters go crazy in the first minute of fighting and then quickly slow down in pace until they are barely moving and gasping for air by the end of round 2. As a fighter, you want to be the one who came to the fight in shape so when the other fighter is gasping for air, you are just getting started. The fight actually starts in the gym.

Make sure to update us on your fight! 🙂

Executioner
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:10 am

Welcome Fellow European!! 8)

Good luck with your match!
    I suppose you know Kieron, promotor of female MMA event coming August?

Executioner
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:18 am

KnockOut2 wrote:
    You’re certainly diving right into the deep end with competing within a year of training. Has anyone else on here fought so quickly after they started training?

In mine opinion, you can do a match, why not?
    Depends how many times you’ve trained, what are your skills, amateur rules, beginner/novice opponent.
    I think MMA goes the same as with kickboxing, it really depends on your own skill and discipline!

Mma girl
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:22 am

Quote:
    Welcome Fellow European!! Cool

lol, aren’t there many of us around? Where are you from?

I did great in my comps, I got a silver in the first one, losing to a girl who has 18 months training and experience and only on points, the other comp I got a gold. I know it is pretty quick to compete but I train 5 nights a week and I have some really fantastic coaches, probably some of the best in the country for MMA (in my opinion anyway lol) they are all great guys. I am working really hard on my conditioning, sparring every day and also running every day (when its not snowing) as I did gas a little in the first fight on the last show I fought on, it was definatly nerves though, the second round I was fine.

Funny you should mention keiron, I know him quite well, its his wife I’m fighting in Jan lol! I’m hoping to get a few am MMA fights in between now and his all female show and then fight on that for my first big show, it would be great to take part in an all female show. Also the last submission tournament I competed in was held by him.

So how long has everyone else been training/competing? Its great to hear about other girls into the sport, I only personally know 3.

Anthea
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:22 am
    Pro Fighter

I find that training with guys most of the time sort of “toughens” you up- you’re so used to fighting with a a height and weight disadvantage (with me it’s anywhere from 10-60kg!) that when you get out there in the ring it’s quite bizzare to have someone your own size/weight (ish) to you.

Also it was good for me in the sense that when the girl was hitting me i felt like she was hitting lighter than the guys hit me in sparring- makes a bit difference to your confidence (even though it’s probably all that adrenalin running through you that’s making her hits seem softer 😀 ).

Good luck anyway (not that luck has anything to do with it) – it’s an amazing thing just to step into the ring (or cage or whatever it is for you guys).

Anthea

Mma girl
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 1:18 pm

I agree, training with guys really does toughen you up, they hit a lot harder and grappling and wrestling are a lot more painful too. It helps loads for submission against girls my weight for sure, but I can’t tell you about MMA yet cos I haven’t had a fight lol

We’re fighting in a cage for this comp, but there are also a few shows in the ring around. I love fighting in the cage, it gives me such a buzz.

Executioner
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:12 am

Serena, I hope you have a good match! 😉
    I can imagine that a cage an give more a buzz than a ring!
    As I’ve read your story, you’re doing great!

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 5:34 am
    Pro Fighter

Welcome to the forum! 😀 Good luck with your fight…do a lot of drills. A danger could be that if you haven’t trained for a long time, you might not have certain reflexes built in that, so like knockout2 first said, you can forget your technique. But if you work hard, you can do a lot in a year! ^_^

Mma girl
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 1:14 pm

Thanx 🙂 I have been drilling loads, arm bars, triangles, sprawls, mount and side control escapes, throws and double legs, I’ve been doing them in my sleep lol. I’m pretty confident with the basic techniques, but I’ve still got a hell of a lot to learn, I just wanna get in the cage and try my skills out so far 🙂

debi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 3:45 pm
    Fightergirls Pro Fight Team

HI MMA girl

welcome to the board, and good luck on your fight

Debi

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?