HnS card as of 8/6

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

starbellykeith
    Post subject: HnS card as of 8/6PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2004 12:42 pm

From FCF’s website. Check out Joe Hall’s interview with Jeff at

Official card as of Aug. 6
    ERICA MONTOYA vs. MEGUMI FUJI @ 125LBS
    TARA LAROSA vs. RYANN DEE @ 135lbs
    KELLY KOBOLD vs. GINELLE MARQUEZ @ 135lbs
    TEVI SAY vs. LISA WARD @ 125LBS
    SARA BOYD vs. ADRIENNA JENKINS @ 135LBS
    RIKKI BURNETTE vs. JAN FINNEY @ 135lbs
    KELLEN HUEHN vs. MANDY STEWART @ 130LBS
    JUDY NEFF vs. LINDA LANGERAK @ 135LBS
    Other names potentially on the card: Jennifer Howe, Yuka Tuji, Keri Crothers, Julie Kedzie and others.

chad
    Post subject: Re: HnS card as of 8/6PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:22 am
    Fightergirls elite poster

starbellykeith wrote:

Other names potentially on the card: Jennifer Howe, Yuka Tuji, Keri Crothers, Julie Kedzie and others.

Whats up with this??? I always thought jeff put together a great matchup card…….. I first have to say that the card has some big names and also some that this will be their first fight….. Why are these women fighting the new fighters????? When they should fight each other and let the 0-0 fight the 0-0……

Chad

starbellykeith
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:20 am

Chad-Montoya/Fuji is the only one that stands out to me like that.

Neff/Langerak-Neff is a legend and many women are scared to fight her because she is so muscular and hits so hard. Don’t underestimate my respect for her. That being said, who has she beaten? A bunch of 0-1s or women that have since dropped to 125. Langerak may be 0-1 but trains with Pain Peterson of UCC/TKO fame and recently lost to Howe in Alaska. From what I’ve heard Langerak is showing that attitude like Buckner and Howe of taking on the best like the guys would. *Basically this is Howe’s last two opponents squaring off*.

Kobald/Marquez is a rematch of a draw. Marquez’s record may be…ummm…different than Kobold’s but look *who* she fought and *who* Kobold fought. Kobold is 10-0-1 agaisnt people (no offense intended) I never heard of except her draw to Marquez. Marquez may be 1-5-1 but she has the guts to take on Christine Van Fleet *twice* for her first two fights, Tara LaRosa when Marquez was on a three-loss streak and then following that up with Buckner! Woman has guts! In early 2004 she drew Kobald and won against Krothers, the woman who was DQed against AJ in WEC. *This is Kobald’s true test and Marquez’s chance to prove she has turned her career around*.

LaRosa/Dee may look like Chad is saying at first but LaRosa is only 3-1. It should be pointed out the one loss was at 125 against Howe. It should also be pointed out Dee beat Marie Colangelo for the 1-0 record at Dave Gomez’s TFC show. I respect Dave and his opinion (which I’m sure came into this) more than most regional show promoters. I don’t see this necessarily as a mis-match or drastically more experience.

Howe/Tuji if it gets signed is Howe agaisnt the only woman to beat Montoya, one of the top names at 125 for years. Who cares what her record is…she beat Montoya! Got somebody else to step up against Howe at this point? I got it…we get all the training partners she has ever had that were embarrased by her antics to chip in and fly Andrade out (I keep what is left over). Once she is there we stuff her in the trunk of my car without twinkies or ice cream so she can actually make the weight she commits to. Okay, maybe not such a hot idea. How about Howe/Tuji instead?

KM

starbellykeith
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 5:18 pm

“I always thought jeff put together a great matchup card”. I like Jeff and all but his true strength was Miguel when Miguel was matchmaker back in the days of Yves Edwards et. al. Miguel left about a year ago for AFC. Miguel also does Euphoria MFC (check out the replay on Maxfighting.com…BTW those ad pictures are mine) and is the main promoter for the ADCC North American trials. Look at the math of percentage of fighters to move on to UFC or Japan from HnS under Miguel, post Miguel, and AFC/MFC. Last time I sat down and worked out the math Miguel was just above Monte Cox on percentage of fighters that move on. Nobody else came close so third place was WEC/IFC’s Paul Smith and WEC can’t be solely credited to Paul. I like Jeff but give credit where credit is due.

And as far as the “unknowns”, this is just like Revolution. Remember leading up to that one the women were built up based on where they trained? Nobody knew much about Debi other than she trained with Marco Ruas, Erica with Chris Brennan, Olga with Bas Rutten, Shannon with Josh Barnett, Angela with Carlos Newton, etc.

This time around we have Sarah Boyd training with former KOTC champ and ZST vet Alberto Crane, A.J. formerly of 808 in Hawaii now getting some training with UFC champ Jens Pulver, Kellyn with Rich Franklin and I believe Meat Truck INC., Ginelle with Dennis Hallman at Victory Athletics last I knew, Heather (if she is on) if I recall is at Cesar’s main academy with Gil Castillo (I’ll double check), Linda with Pain Peters…

KM

chad
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 6:46 pm

I have to admit it will be a show that I will be wanting to see….. I don’t think I will be able to make it this time but best of luck to Jeff and all the hooknshoot crew that was really nice to be around…. I will have to dig up all the video I did for the revolution.. I have interviews and training with a lot of the women maybe I will have to make it into a dvd..

It is really nice to hear from the women on this forum that will be fighting this way we kind of get to know you before the fight..

Chad

Jeff
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2004 7:30 pm

I hope the 130 lbs specification doesn’t mean HnS will have a separate 130 lb class.

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 10:22 am
    Pro Fighter

I didn’t think Jeff wanted those names released yet. Oh well, I guess I was wrong. Interesting histories I just learned.

Jeff Osborne
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:16 pm

My greatest strength was with Miguel? I’ll admit Miguel was good but if you’re fucknig saying that Yves/Aaron was all him, you’re a moron.

The other thing is, people who think matchmaking is rocket science are ignorant.

Anyone reading this can matchmake.

People who don’t like the 0-0 girls…hey don’t bother watching the show. Where is the so-called “future of the sport” coming from?

Maybe they should all enter HnS with 200-0 records like the old days.

There is absolutely no merit to your comments Keith. If I had someone STILL handing me $40,000 cash per show I could blow away anyone.

XcashXmoneyX
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:19 pm
    Pro Fighter

Ok…I’ve got a little bit to say in response, or rather reflection of these posts.
    Yes, I train with Rich Franklin at New Generation Martial Arts . I train with Rich 2-3 times per week, and train under Jorge 5 times per week. Rich has hit it big with UFC, he’ll be returning there in December. He deserves every bit of the respect and acknowledgement hes getting. But, Jorge Gurgel has fought hard to get where he is, has fought on the Pride undercard, and has earned his Blackbelt from Marcus Aurelio…half of you guys have probably never heard of Jorge because he’s 155lbs…and UFC sh*ts on those guys. And Mike Patt….recently defeated 3 guys in less than 4 minutes.. total.
    The point I’m trying to make is that whether I train with Rich, Jorge, Mike, or Billy Blanks doesn’t mean squat if I’m not putting my 200% in every time I get on the mat. And, if you don’t have it, you don’t have it. A big name trainer isn’t going to fix something that wasn’t there to be broken in the first place.
    So I don’t think it really matters who anyone trains with, or what their record is. Obviously if your’e getting piss poor instruction, your fighting is going to reflect that.. but if these girls get out there and bang, that’s what’s important.
    You never know, some of them may really surprise you.

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:21 pm

hmm, this jeff sounds easily irritated to me.

robert

starbellykeith
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:56 pm

Jeff-Gotta admit, I’m having mixed feelings about how to react. My first reaction is to say I don’t give a fuck what you think of me, my opinion/comments, or my work. Don’t like it, talk to someone else. My second reaction is to difuse any anger…I pointed out twice I like you and no outburst is going to change that. I’m not trying to insult you or deter people from your shows in any way. I’m trying to help. I’m just saying I think Miguel was your biggest asset and he deserves some credit. I’m not going to apologize though as I don’t agree anybody can matchmake and have the math results he has had.

Rox21-I posted that after the names were released on FCF with the exception of Howe/Tuji which Monte is already on the record as speaking about. Nothing new from me, I just put it together and gave some background.

All-I have no problem with 0-0 records…you gotta start somewhere. If I didn’t think that I wouldn’t have bothered looking into them and posting what I found. I could have spent the same time doing other work and got paid…instead I tried to give y’all the team perspective.

Speaking of which I have a busy month coming up and it looks like y’all don’t need any help from me so I’m moving on for a while. Feel free to contact me off-forum and good luck at the show.

KM

greatlaughter
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:09 pm
    Pro Fighter

Hmmmmm.
    Only a couple of comments.
    1.) I think it really does matter who you train with and where you are getting instruction. A great combo is awesome. If I get my butt kicked (routinely) by Dave Terrell in training but I get fine tuning instruction from Cesar…GREAT! Then, I’m mat tough and technical….if I only get tough, someone more technical can drill me, if I’m only technical, then maybe someone more tough drills me.
    One this is certain, if I train like shit, with poor instruction and poor training partners, I’d probably do myself a favor by moving on.
    Luckily, I don’t have that problem! 😆
    2.) Keith, Gil is on my team but we actaully don’t train too much together. I go back and forth between Dave’s place and Cesars so I get a well rounded ass kicking by all the guys on our team AND the guys that aren’t fighters as well.
    3.) I think that if a person who has no record wants to fight someone 500-0, whatever, as long as the promotors/trainers think it is a good match up, it’s fine. Some of us ‘kids’ need a shot! Bogus match ups suck and I know Jeff isn’t a dick about that. He’s very straight forward and tries to make good matches.
    4.) This is a frickin email forum and things are often taken the wrong way. So can everybody just ‘simma down now’?!

🙂

Heather

XcashXmoneyX
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:17 pm
    Pro Fighter

I very much agree. I was with one school for almost 4 years…it was hard to leave them because they were my friends, but I had to go where I would be given the knowledge I’m after…and it’s AMAZING how your game changes and how many doors open when you get with the right people.
    I was just trying to say that someone might have a really awesome trainer and still not be a fighter…and someone might come from a so-called “nobody’s” gym and really whip ass. Ya never know!
    And, everybody deserves a shot, I’m not just speaking for myself. It’s true, everyone has to start somewhere, and the nice thing about Jeff is he is famous for giving new people a shot at getting their name out there. My dealings with him have always been cool and he’s been really fair about the matches, as far as offering me opponents and trying to match me up with someone that’s going to be good for me, win or lose.
    Remember: no one pays $40 a ticket to see a shark eat a guppy in 12 seconds…so it hurts him just as much to mismatch people.

greatlaughter
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 5:36 am
    Pro Fighter

well put xcashxmoneyx.

🙂

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:00 am
    Pro Fighter

Well everyone is trying their best and trying to be helpful, so at least intentions are good. 😉

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 7:18 am

Wouldn’t it be interesting that if the requirement to be able to promote a fight or to be a spectator at a fight was that one must prove that one has ever been in a fight?

Imagine the the drought of scheduled fights as well as their attendance, eh?

In Psych class, I remember of one model of human interaction was titled…”Let’s You and Him Fight”.

How often has the forum-members seen that in play, hmmm?

Robert

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:09 am
    Pro Fighter

You like “Fight Club,” don’t you? 😉

teambenavides
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 9:30 am

jeff had a lot to do with those match ups than you think. migual was good but it was a team effort. as far a now jeff is putting a great show,dont think he doesnt scout well.he is always getting video and watching the girls training. he flew to ohio to ck out my girls(that was cool) and as far as the future i heard he just signed a pro shooto show at arnold classic on march 4,2005 which will have 5-6 women fights on the card. i think show will put our sport into the mainstream for others to see.i wouldn t be suprised if he uses some of the ladies from the nov.6 show for arnold.

XcashXmoneyX
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 6:03 pm
    Pro Fighter

thanks thanks

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Aug 19, 2004 11:06 pm

Fightclub? A nihilistic, MTV-hipster- flick about bored guys looking for their balls by getting beaten up by bored officeworkers? Naahhh.
    Last edited by fight4you on Fri Aug 20, 2004 7:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 4:26 am
    Pro Fighter

awww, fight4you, I loved fight club. 😆

KnockOut2
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:58 am

whoa, Fight4you…
    I think you need to watch that movie again. 🙂
    I think there is a lot of deeper meaning to it.

The violence in the movie was a mere coating. It had little to do with the actual moral(s) of the story. A lot of people got stuck on the cosmetics of the movie. That’s unfortunate.

fight4you
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Aug 20, 2004 12:07 pm

well the violence was the main selling point, the P.R. hook of the flick. Of course, I have had some people tell me that the UFC is not violent so, hey…

rebekah
    Post subject: Re: HnS card as of 8/6PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 5:17 am

starbellykeith wrote:

What about Amanda Buckner? I’d like to see her in the mix! Too bad it isn’t Larosa vs. Buckner!!! That would be a great match. Also missing that I’d like to see in the mix is Laura D’August. And where are all our “veterans” from the last HNS? Like Olga, Mayra, Van Fleet etc. etc. Haven’t heard or seen much of them…

Regardless, I’m looking forward to this event and I am going to save all my pennies so I can be there!!!

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 6:58 am
    Pro Fighter

How long can cards be, generally? Like can more be fit on a card, or isn’t there enough time for more than 8?

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 10:47 am
    Pro Fighter

I would really like to fight Laura D. 😉 We fought a lot in grappling tourneys in the past, but I’d like to see how I do against her powerful kickboxing!!! *drools at the challenge*

greatlaughter
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2004 6:45 pm
    Pro Fighter

Amanda may be on the card. I think Jeff is dealing with a lot right now, budgeting and match making. I’m pretty sure she is in the mix of people he’d like on the card.
    We shall see…until then, some of us hopefulls are training our asses off.

Executioner
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:26 am

Rox21 wrote:
    I would really like to fight Laura D. 😉 We fought a lot in grappling tourneys in the past, but I’d like to see how I do against her powerful kickboxing!!! *drools at the challenge*
    Come on Rox!
    Why aren’t you yet on the card??? 8)

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 7:50 am
    Pro Fighter

Because nobody put me there yet, Executioner! 😛

Executioner
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 12:51 pm

Rox21 wrote:
    Because nobody put me there yet, Executioner! 😛
    Maybe we all should vote for you also!!! 😀

Jeff
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 5:15 am

Is Kyra Gracie a realistic option for HnS?

greatlaughter
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2004 6:37 pm
    Pro Fighter

Kyra is a great jiu-jitsu practitioner but I’m not sure MMA is her thing. She’s tough girl though. Cesar’s cousin. She comes in to train with us a few times a year.

Lil Katai
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 9:42 pm
    Pro Fighter

Tara LaRosa and Ryanne Dee?? Oh yeah, deffenitly going to be there to see this one!!!

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 3:09 am
    Pro Fighter

Lil Katai wrote:
    Tara LaRosa and Ryanne Dee?? Oh yeah, deffenitly going to be there to see this one!!!
    Were they matched on the original card? I think some changes have been made since then, but I’m not sure….

bjjamazon
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:12 pm

We need some heavyweights in there!! gosh, not many of us big gals around that like to play rough. 🙁

Lil Katai
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:54 pm
    Pro Fighter

I just now fully read through this thread and have a few things to say.

For one, I have been to many HnS shows and have seen nothing but great match ups and an all around good show. I was around when Jeff first started his shows at the Bam Bams gym when all there was was a mat on the floor, not many rules (cups, mouth guards or gloves did not have to be worn and head buts where alowed) and the place was packed!! Jeff puts on a great show and is one of the only promotions to really give the females a flying chance. If a fighter thinks that their match up is unfair, no one said that she is forced to fight. Fighters themselves make their own decisions. Not the promotor.

Second, “as far as the future i heard he just signed a pro shooto show at arnold classic on march 4,2005 which will have 5-6 women fights on the card.”

When the hell did this take place?? I would deffently be interested in getting in on this. If anyone has any info, please let me know.

Third, I agree that where and who you train with reflects your fighting a lot. But I also have to say that fighting at an “unknown” school with “unknown” people or non consistent with “known” fighters/trainers … you can also train and fight just as well. As I am one of those fighters.

Im really looking forward to this show in Nov. I was unable to attend the last female show but with the fighters that are listed on this card, I will be sure to be hanging around. Really looking forward to the LaRosa vs Dee fight. And really pulling for LaRosa. Tara, get your ass in fight mode!!!

See you all at the show.

Lil Katai
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2004 7:55 pm
    Pro Fighter

Oh yeah, Rox, yeah the fight between them two is on. I was on the phone with LaRosa earlier today and she confirmed it.

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:50 am
    Pro Fighter

I see.

Icedog
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 3:56 pm

HNS Evolution will be great! Another landmark event in women’s MMA, just like Revolution. Does anyone know anything about the G-Shooto all-women’s event that is mentioned on the Fightworld website?

Mark Grassman
    Post subject: Re: HnS card as of 8/6PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 12:18 pm

starbellykeith wrote:

Jeff Osborne typically could never hold together a HooknShoot fight card for more than a month without changes. It’s been more than a month since the preliminary card was announced, and more than a month away from bell time. Last week, I saw the latest HooknShoot posters in Bob’s Gym. Judging by the way the names and pictures were paired up, it stands at seven fights. Montoya vs Fuji, and Neff vs Langerak are still on. Keri Crothers will fight Julie Kedzie. Boyd, Burnette, and Finney are on it. Greta Hicks replaces Ginelle Marquez as Kelly Kobold’s opponent.

Thats all I can remember for now.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?