how about that sherdog

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 7 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

mostuniquename
    Post subject: how about that sherdog Post Posted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:20 am

This is what a women+mma search on sherdog turns up So is sherdog the adequate representative of an average mma fan, or are they more of a fringe element?

Sako
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:29 pm

Female fights aren’t in the UFC for the same reason why there aren’t female basketball players in the NBA(We have Smackgirl, FFF, and WNBA for that). Even if the UFC had female mma, it would be one Gina Carano-type star like it is with Gary Shaw and Elite XC. UFC shouldn’t be trying make a quick cash in on female mma just because it is the current trend, it already is making more money off it’s events than all other mma promotions combined.

GFC
    Post subject: Re: how about that sherdogPostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:19 pm
    Fightergirls elite poster

i think it’s a mixed bag. there’s a large group at sherdog mb’s which is fringe element, like a bunch of rejected WWE fans who like to generate bs gossip, rumors, and conspiracy theories. another smaller group are fairly rational knowledgeable and sincere about the sport…

as for the UFC they most certainly could support a women’s division much like the AVP has both men’s and women’s volleyball and makes a considerable amount off both. women’s mma is an extremely fast growing trend and to be clear i very much still support the rest of the UFC just not Dana’s highly smile comments and anti-female agenda.

and it’s the top popular fighters which generate big ppv numbers like Randy and Tito which they are steadily losing because of Dana. the UFC used to be the only game in town but now that larger players are coming into the picture and can offer bigger $ it is only a matter of time before more top fighters both emerge and migrate to other orgs…
    mostuniquename wrote:
    So is sherdog the adequate representative of an average mma fan, or are they more of a fringe element?
    Last edited by GFC on Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sako
    Post subject: Re: how about that sherdogPostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:27 pm

GFC wrote:
    i think it’s a mixed bag. there’s a large group at sherdog mb’s which is fringe element, like a bunch of rejected WWE fans who like to generate bs gossip, rumors, and conspiracy theories. another smaller group are fairly rational knowledgeable and sincere about the sport…

as for the UFC they most certainly could support a women’s division much like the AVP has both men’s and women’s volleyball and makes a considerable amount off both. women’s mma is an extremely fast growing trend and to be clear i very much still support the UFC just not Dana’s anti-female comments and highly smile agenda…
    mostuniquename wrote:
    So is sherdog the adequate representative of an average mma fan, or are they more of a fringe element?
    Maybe there will a WUFC like there is a WNBA, but they shouldn’t force female fighters on to a male show just for the sake of it. It’s better to have an exclusively female promotion that promotes female mma as a whole than to have a predominately male promotion showcase only two or three female fighters.

GFC
    Post subject: Re: how about that sherdogPostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 2:55 pm

in part i agree that the divisions should be separate…however, they could periodically mix in a co-main event individual female fight on a large male ppv card which they *know* is going to bring additional huge #s and get that extra exposure…

just for example: (hypothetically Dana and his bs is out of the picture)… they resign Randy to fight Fedor or Josh as a main event…then, as a co-main event line up a Carano/Toughill, Carano/Bazsler, or Carano/LaRosa. in other words for a card like that they’re prob looking at a minimum of 750k to over a million buys. that’s the kind of *great* exposure women’s mma needs and all those promoters (outside of the few smile Dana’s) would easily see the value and want the success of cards like that…

Dana’s main problem is that he lets his personal smile feelings and ego effect his business decisions…
    btw, i don’t think the NBA/WNBA is the best analogy for a few reasons. i think Shayna mentioned this before and i agree that women have restrictions in certain sports like bball and hockey which limit it’s potential for equal success. whereas there are other sports like v-ball, gymnastics, tennis, etc. where the women’s game is actually as much (or more) popular. and i believe women’s mma in particular has that potential more than any other and it’s rapid growth is proving that fact….
    Sako wrote:

Maybe there will a WUFC like there is a WNBA, but they shouldn’t force female fighters on to a male show just for the sake of it. It’s better to have an exclusively female promotion that promotes female mma as a whole than to have a predominately male promotion showcase only two or three female fighters.
    Last edited by GFC on Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.

sharice
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:08 pm

I think the idea of the NBA and WNBA are different from having women and men on the same fight card. There has to be a WNBA b/c women and men don’t play basketball against each other the same way men and women shouldn’t fight each other. Generally one fight has nothing to do with the next on a fight card.

I do think all women shows are an awesome idea (pretty excited about W@ and FFF) but I don’t think it is by any means the absolute best way or only good way to get exposure for women’s MMA. I don’t know how many times I have heard someone say they thought they didn’t like women’s mma until they happened to actually see a fight while at a male dominated show.

GFC
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:43 pm

totally, also can’t count how many times the females got best fight of the card. Molly/Carina and Kedzie/Carano just 2 examples. that’s another thing i believe Dana is concerned about but of course won’t admit, he’s afraid and concerned us girls will steal the show…and, he *knows* damn well it’s very possible after seeing Gina vs Julie on Showtime….

sharice wrote:
    I think the idea of the NBA and WNBA are different from having women and men on the same fight card. There has to be a WNBA b/c women and men don’t play basketball against each other the same way men and women shouldn’t fight each other. Generally one fight has nothing to do with the next on a fight card.

I do think all women shows are an awesome idea (pretty excited about W@ and FFF) but I don’t think it is by any means the absolute best way or only good way to get exposure for women’s MMA. I don’t know how many times I have heard someone say they thought they didn’t like women’s mma until they happened to actually see a fight while at a male dominated show.

michaelhess
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:23 am

First of all, that was on the Sherdog forum, where anyone who is a member of the website can write whatever they want. Sherdog is one of the best MMA websites, and I love it. By chance did you read any of the replies to that original message? I thought this one said a lot, which I guess you must not have read. I got this quote below from the link you posted.

… Do you train at all? I do–and im pretty sure she could kick my ass…

Oh yeah, and if you need evidence look at her BJJ. If you don’t know any, i can almost f*cking gaurentee she will break your arm, or choke you out, before you can even throw a horrible formed weak punch.

Rox21
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:48 pm
    Pro Fighter

I find that sherdog guys tend to make up a fan base with a large percentage of the guys who don’t train. For example, mma.tv guys seem to have more pro fighters and guys who train. I always see everyone get flamed and make stupid comments on sherdog, compared to mma.tv

Sako
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:47 pm

I can’t believe how many sherdoggers have to the audacity to say female mma is weak and boring.

kaitlinrose
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:41 am
    Pro Fighter

Honestly, I think it has more to do with exposure than anything else. You have to search the internet to get good female fight archives…ESPN runs “best beat downs” of men’s fights all the time.

In my experience in both martial arts and the workplace, I have yet to meet a “smile” guy that doesn’t readily change his opinion when presented with evidence to the contrary. If violence against women was really the issue, many movies wouldn’t be as popular as they are. If great women’s fights start getting more exposure, a less critical audience will follow.

Fierce
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:25 am
    Pro Fighter

Kaitlin, I think you’re right on with synopsis. Just look at Joe Rogan changing his mind about female fighting as a whole after watching your last fight!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?