How would you feel?

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

tapoutuk
    Post subject: How would you feel? PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 2:14 pm

Hi everyone

My wife today entered her first BJJ tournament, as she’s only done no gi up to now but we’ve changed to a new club. No other women entered so she said she would fight in the lightest men’s group.

They put her in a combined women’s/junior division white belt as she is only 50kg/110lbs. The other lads were supposed to be 135lbs. She didn’t mind the weight difference. One weighed in at 135, the next 143lbs and the next 145lbs. She still said OK. She got drawn against the 135lbs fighter.

The competition started and the lad walked to the edge of the mat and said ‘I’m not fighting a girl’ and scratched out.

We watched the other fight and then approached the winner who said he had no problem with fighting her.

As there was some spare time our coach, a top quality purple belt who also had no opponent, asked her to do an exhibition with him. Even though it was light hearted he told her to show what she had and she caught him with a sweet flying armbar that had everyone cheering, even though she didn’t get it locked and got shook off.

Then it came time for the final and the other finalist turned round and said ‘I’m not fighting her she’s too good’ and pulled out.

So she won the gold medal without a fight and now feels it’s worth nothing as she didn’t compete for it. She’s also a little annoyed as it was supposed to be a warm up for the Europeans in the New Year.

MNkkgMMA
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2005 6:00 pm
    Pro Fighter

Did she have fun? That’s what really matters, enjoying life. You and your wife should just be proud that she entered the competition where no other women in the area would/could. (much less even knew how to attempt a flying armbar)

Executioner
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 11:49 am

Congrats for that!
    I’m sure in UK is some good competition.

Maybe against Serena Sykes?

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 2:21 pm
    Instructor

It’s too bad that she didn’t get the practice she was looking for but having fun is really what matters right?

debi
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 4:08 pm
    Fightergirls Pro Fight Team

I agree 100%, If she was having fun that is what matters. and she has bling 😉

CTD
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2005 9:15 pm

I’ve been in a similar situation where there were no women so I had to fight in the guys divisions. Fortunatley, I have a little weight on your wife so it didn’t seem so inequitable.

Contrary to your wife’s experience, the guys had absolutely no problem at all rolling with a female. They were great and we all had some good fun and some great practice.

I hope she has better experiences in the future.

tapoutuk
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2005 4:31 am

She can usually find lads to fight in no gi – she is in a tournament this weekend fighting for the British Title in the mens under 65kg category.

She was just gutted because it was the first time fighting with a gi.

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?