I Can Lift 5 Pounds!!

This topic contains 0 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  Chad Moechnig 1 year, 8 months ago.

• Author

Chad Moechnig
    Keymaster

TanyaVlahac
    Post subject: I Can Lift 5 Pounds!! PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:54 pm

http://www.fightergirls.com

Hi Everyone,

I’ve never posted here before, so the first thing I should do is thank Debi for this site!

It’s been 7 weeks since my injury. Everything’s going really well. I don’t wear my cast anymore, and I started my resistance training. I can do curls with 5 lb. dumbbells and have no pain.

I’ve been doing a lot of research on how my injury could have happened. The average age of biceps tendon tears is 47. So I guess age could have been a factor right off the bat. But there are a few other things I’ve been looking at. I don’t know if any of you have ever heard of Paul Check, of the Check Institute, which is like a fitness injury management group. One of the courses you can take through this institute is called, “Equal but Not the Same.” It talks about women needing more recovery time than men. I’m pretty stubborn sometimes and I won’t listen to my coach, so I guess I will be incorporating rest days into my routine from now on.

One thing that Pete (my coach) found that might be interesting is that in power lifting most people tear their distal biceps tendon doing deadlifts, and they tear it on the underhand-grip arm. Since the biceps has two functions, flexing and supinating, with a supinated grip the biceps would be the longest.

In the past, we’ve always thrown our hook thumb-up. I know some clubs throw their hook thumb-horizontal. I’m wondering if the hand position in the hook could cause the same thing as the hand position in the deadlift. What do you guys think? Does anyone have any advice on this?

Take care,Tanya
    P.S. Thanks so much to everyone for all their kinds words. It meant a lot.

FoxfireJessE
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 6:58 pm

Ouch!!!! I bet that tear didn’t tickle! Good luck with the recooperating and hopefully you’ll be back at 100% soon! Best wishes!

Maulinator
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:11 pm
    Pro Fighter

Good luck with the recovery Tanya!

We want to see you back in the ring/cage!!! 😀

Mystee
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 8:28 pm

Glad you’re doing well….was bummed that you couldn’t compete at HnS.

TanyaVlahac
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:09 pm

Thanks, you guys. I was (to put it midly) pretty devastated that I couldn’t compete. But, as I was saying, the recovery is going really well. This week, I’m actually curling 10 lbs.

I don’t think you can be a fighter and expect never to have an injury. I just got lucky that I had been 100% injury free in …geez, I guess it’s been over 10 years of competing, now.

Take care, everyone, and hope to stay in touch while I’m on the way back. Keeps me from being bummed out. I should be fighting by the summer, so it’d be great to maybe see some of you then!

Tanya

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 8:36 pm
    Instructor

Awesome! You’re recovering pretty fast.

TanyaVlahac
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 4:49 am

Hi Rikki,
    Thanks..have you seen (or had) this injury before? It’d be good to talk to someone who’s actually recovered from a distal biceps rupture, or knows someone who has.

Take care,
    Tanya

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 9:10 am
    Instructor

No, I have not. I wasn’t speaking from experience…..just the fact that it took 7 weeks to be able to lift 5lbs and only a week to lift 10! Sounds like good progress to me! 😀

TanyaVlahac
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 6:25 am

Hey Rikki,
    Oh, I see, thanks. I was just hoping maybe you knew because all I have to go by is what the surgeons and physiotherapists are telling me. Be nice to hear from someone who’s been through it, you know?

But thanks very much for the encouraging words; appreciate it!

Take care,
    Tanya

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 8:59 am
    Instructor

No problem. I wish I had the info you are looking for.

TanyaVlahac
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:52 pm

Hi Rikki,
    At least if this ever happens to anyone else we know in the future, maybe I can tell that person what to expect.

Gotta look at the bright side, especially when there is absolutely nothing you can do to to change what’s happened!

Take it easy,
    Tanya

grappler_girl
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:02 pm

I am by no means an expert on this whole issue, but maybe my little bit of input will help. I could possibly see a bicep injury coming from strong jabs, or strong crosses; because with these two movements your bicep muscle is being violently extended and flexed. Your bicep muscle connects, via tendon and ligament, at the elbow joint or crease; Throwing out jabs and crosses would connect directly to this area.
    Also, I have been a Licensed Massage Therapist for about 8 years and have found with injuries, it is always best to work friction around the area of injury to reduce scar tissue. If this is reduced, your flexibility and usage will be greater than if you leave it alone.
    For those who don’t know- Friction is small, circular motions (*preferably w/ one thumb rotating clockwise and the other counterclockwise*) with your thumb tips, or 1st two finger tips. Using as much or as little pressure as desired.

Hope this tid bit helps and good luck with the recovery 😉

Rikki
    Post subject: PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 5:54 pm
    Instructor

That’s a good way to look at it Tanya. 🙂

TanyaVlahac
    Post subject: PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:10 pm

Hi Grapple Girl,
    I’m pretty sure we’ve met…was it at a NAGA event, ringside somewhere…I’m sorry, I just can’t place where. But thank you so much for your advice. My coach has been telling me to see a massage therapist, and the physio I saw did mention about rubbing around the scar tissue, but your specific advice is great.

The method that the surgeon used to repair my biceps tendon was the one where there are two incisions. The incision under my elbow had a big lump, and the incision inside my elbow just felt very thick. I have been rubbing both places whenever I think of it, like when I’m watching TV, and the lump and the thickness have really diminished in the last few weeks.

After reading your email, I feel much more confident about massaging the scar tissue. At first, I was a bit hesitant to press on the areas where the incisions were – you get this irrational fear in your head that things might “let go”. That fear has really diminished in the last little while, as the arm feels almost normal, and I find myself lifting crock pots and grocery bags and other every-day tasks without thinking about it.

Thanks again for your expertise. It’s very nice of you to write.

Take care,
    Tanya

Seth
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:24 pm

The progress must feel good. Just stay away from that buttah 😀
    Your dedication ‘n restraint to foregoing yummy treats is amazing from what was posted in that interview.

Hope you get some really good fights.

Seth
    Post subject: PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:35 pm

The progress must feel good. Just stay away from that buttah 😀
    Your dedication ‘n restraint to foregoing yummy treats is amazing from what was posted in that interview.

Hope you get some really good fights.

TanyaVlahac
    Post subject: PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:36 am

Hi Seth,
    Thanks, man. That’s nice of you to wish me some good fights. I’m dying to get back in the ring!!!!

What you were saying about butter….It’s not so hard to eat clean; you actually end up disliking the “fat” taste, and salty stuff. Believe me, it was torture at first. I love to cook, and growing up in Montreal, French cuisine was the thing I was really into. I used to make my own croissants, where you roll the dough between sheets of butter, and everything else I cooked had a sauce to go with it, or was wrapped in pastry. It looked pretty, but it was deadly.

I guess the half of the equation is the self-discipline that makes you get out of bed on the weekend and drive to the club in the dark to train, instead of sleeping in like everyone else does. You know, that kind of thing that we all do. That any athlete does, or anyone in any field pursuing something they want really badly.

Take care, and thanks for writing and for your good wishes,
    Tanya

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

© 2014 Fighter Girls.  All Rights Reserved.

Fighter girls®

Fightergirls.com®

Forgot your details?